8 Great Occupations for the Diehard Bowhunter

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Bowhunting.com Staff, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Bowhunting.com Staff

Bowhunting.com Staff Administrator

Dislikes Received:
  2. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'll add Resort Manager to the list. My schedule is like a teacher's only flip-flopped. I'm supper busy from April-Early September, then things slow down right as bow season opens. Plus I live in a beautiful wilderness area and hunt right out my door. :tu:

3. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm with the nurse thing. No I'm not a nurse, I'm a respiratory therapist, but I do work 12hr shifts in a hospital. It gives me plenty of time off during the season.

Blessings..........Pastorjim

4. tkaldahl2000

tkaldahl2000 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As a teacher I have to ask who the heck gets all those days off in October, or a Halloween break? And that nice two day break that students get here in Montana is because teachers are doing contractually obligated professional development. If I am out of my classroom by 5 it is a good day, and sometimes during the season I will be gone at 4 on a Friday afternoon. Taking off too early too frequently results in huge backlogs of ungraded papers. With all that said, as long as you are not a coach you have every weekend, and yes, Thanksgiving break usually starts on Wednesday, so it does give some nice opportunities. I also get three personal days a year, but I can't use them in conjunction with a previously scheduled break.

In all honesty, I went into teaching because I loved math. I didn't start to have any great success until I came to the realization that you have to be in it because you love kids. I'm starting my 26th year and can't wait for August 24th (the first day of school). It is pretty hard when I'm walking to school on those bright September mornings and the temps are in the mid forties and all I can think of is what a great day to be in the stand, but the kids make up for it (most days).

5. joe_bow

joe_bow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm a musician and composer and have the flexibility of the author job you've posted. I hunt every day of the season at least one sit.

6. Daryl Bell

Daryl Bell Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I almost added resort manager to the list just for you, Fitz. But you are sort of an anomaly lol

7. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Is that your way of saying I'm "special"?

8. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Short Canoe, Short Bus......

9. grizzly1530

grizzly1530 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have to disagree with hvac too. My dad does hvac in Wisconsin, and his busiest times are in the fall. Either for routine heating tune ups or furnace failures, his time is severely limited in October and November. Then if there is a brutal cold snap, he's pretty much guaranteed busy.

10. BradC36

BradC36 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    While this isn't my occupation, Corrections Officer would be a good one to add to the list. A buddy of mine takes off from the last week in October until the end of November with the time he saves up from working OT during the year. I also work in the construction field, which is great in the state of NY when there is hardly any work going from October-March.

11. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    As a teacher, I can't fully get on board with that. It's dependent on each school district and your location in relation to your hunting as well.

I could (well...did before having a kid) have every evening sit I wanted during our season because I live a few miles from my main property. However, once DST ends, all bets are off, and I'm down to just weekends. Factor in PA doesn't allow Sunday hunting, and I'm down to just one day a week. Our district does not have a fall break. In fact, after Labor Day, I won't have a scheduled day off until the week of Thanksgiving, which, in my area, archery is already over (but bear is in). We do get the first Monday of our rifle opener off (the Monday following Thanksgiving), and I have the entire first week of our late archery season off (Dec 26th-Jan.2).

However, look at what many of you can do with your "year round" jobs. You can schedule 1-2 weeks off in November (some of you even take 5+ weeks off to hunt October and November). You can book out of state hunts and put in for that Vacation time.

I'm limited to 5 personal days per calendar year max. If I use those 5 days (after saving for two years), I'm back to waiting another 3 years to build back to the 5 days, or I must convert 10 sick days for 1 personal day. Suffice to say, I CAN schedule an out of state hunt, but unless it's a season that falls on my Thanksgiving or Christmas break, I can really only do it once every three years.

There are definitely far worse professions for hunters, but I'm not quite sure we're at the "Top" like those resort managers :)

12. Daryl Bell

Daryl Bell Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think this one has a lot to do with region also. My uncle and good friend both own HVAC companies and once October rolls around the calls all but stop completely. I could see where being in an area with an extreme winter could be different.

13. DV1

DV1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    That's awesome. I'm sure your community appreciates that sentiment, which doesn't seem to hold in my part of the Country.

14. anthonyzink

anthonyzink Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Need to add in Salt Plant Process Operator!!! I work a week on week off!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Farmer should definitely be #1.

Not... :cry:

16. Kfili

Kfili Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I can check off teacher and lawn care worker, last year i coached football so ZERO time, this year I'm taking off, we'll see how it goes, I'm also lucky enough to have a property close to where I live and work to sit after. maybe one day I'll be smart enough to add writer to the list :)

17. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Right now I have it made working in IT doing IT support for a small company of about 100 employees. In my position it is only myself and another guy who is a non-hunter. I'm going on my 5th calendar year now and get nearly 4 weeks vacation so come October and November I can take pretty much anytime off I want. I usually do Thursday/Friday end of October to give myself a 4 day weekend and then also the same thing in November the first 2 weeks. The hard part I have is if I want to continue in the position I have as there is not much for advancement so do I keep enjoying the flexibility for the things I enjoy outside of work or do I look for something else to make a few dollars more and risk not having the flexibility or vacation time.

18. Hoytxhunter

Hoytxhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The firefighter job does have its time off for the hunting but Ill say only if you have a place close by. I have to pick my vacation in November for the following year which makes it hard for Texas draw hunts that aren't drawn until aug/sept. If I promote and go to EMS then Ill go from a 24 on 48 off schedule to a 24 on 72 off. But yes the down time at the station, which isn't always a lot depending on training and such, can provide great research time and working out to be fit for duty also helps with a trip to colorado in 26 days. Hell I'm ready right now, just to get away from the heat. The highs right now where I'm going is still lower than the lows in Texas right now.

19. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am a real estate appraiser & broker. I work when I want to & it's seasonal with the slow time being in the fall & winter.

Very busy in spring & summer though & not much time for fishing.

20. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Remember the words. BANKERS HOURS. Especially bank IT staff.

Seldom work a weekend, I can get myself out early as long as I make up time in the evening from home.