Cold feet sufferers...do boot blankets work?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Finch, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm looking to purchase some boot blankets but would love to hear some feedback from guys that use them. My feet are always the first thing to go and usually drive me out of stand early. I feel like I dress warm enough and also keep my head fairly covered/warm but the feet still get cold. They were cold all last week when the temps were in the low 50's.:(

Should I get a boot blanket that covers the entire boot, like shown below?
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t..._cat=Google&cm_pla=boot blanket&cm_ite=netcon

Or one like this?
    http://www.bowhunting.com/shopping/Products/ThermalFeet-Boot-Warmers__TL-THFEET.aspx

Seems like the one that covers the entire boot would be best.:confused:

2. ISiman/OH

ISiman/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would also ove some feedback on this, my toes are always the first to go also and i don't feel like buying a new pair.

3. MN/Kyle

MN/Kyle Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    oddly, my feet NEVER get cold, which is probably a good thing in MN.

4. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You're very lucky, Kyle. Wish I could say the same!

5. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Finch, are your boots tight? Sometimes when one wears tight boots, they don't allow for enough of a layering to allow warm air to settle. Possibly get some larger boots than you are used to, maybe 1 size larger. That will allow for a larger amount of room between your foot and the outer part of the boot. It will aslo allow you to layer with socks after you arrive on stand. Wear a light sock to the stand to prevent sweating, then add the thicker socks once you arrive. I have always had cold feet in the winter, so I have developed a system to keep my feet warm over the years. Bring some foot warmers along with you and place them on top of your toes about 30 minutes after you cool down from the walk to your stand. Also, I would highly recommend these as they seem to work pretty well after you have your boot situation worked out....

[​IMG]

6. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    My feet ALWAYS get cold once temps get below 30. I've considered them, but I'm always skeptical. I have a feeling NOTHING could keep my feet warm:D

7. quiksilver

quiksilver Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Your feet will not get cold in a pair of boot blankets. I have them and use them when temps go into the teens or lower. Your feet won't be "hot" per se, but they will definitely not get cold. I'd equate it to bowhunting on a 50 degree day.

I usually walk pretty far into my stand sites, lugging 30 pounds on my back, and my feet invariably get hot and sweat. I've carried dry socks... I've tried wicking socks, electric socks, glacier boots, pac boots, thinsulate, wool, loose laces, no laces, pants tucked-in, pants over-top... You name it, I've tried it. If the low temps are in the teens, without a way to keep my feet warm, my stand time would invariably be capped at 3-4 hours before my frozen toes would force me to the ground.

I've never had anything keep my feet as warm as a pair of boot blankets. Just throw a handwarmer packet down into the toe, slip your boot inside, and your feet will not get cold. Hours and hours and hours... Every 4-5 hours, just toss a fresh pair of handwarmers down in there. Try it. I guarantee you'll change your whole outlook on extended sits in the cold.

They're bulky, and can be a bit of a pain, but I just strap them onto my treestand and pack them in that way. I think the pair only weighs a few ounces. They're just awkward to carry or stuff into your daypack.

They come in a zippered plastic package, so just buy a pair and save the receipt and packaging. If you try them and don't like 'em, just return them.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  8. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My feet used to freeze regardless of what I did and the warmest boots in the world did not help,neither did socks.Then I discovered the culprit.SWEAT so now I wear regular tube socks to my stand.Then when I get there I put on a pair of polypropilene liner socks and then wool socks over.This will usually get me into the low 30's with uninsulated boots.If it is colder,I will put my Arctic Shield boot blankets on and that will get me into single digits and then I will throw a couple hand warmers in the arctic shields and I am good regardless of the weather.I don't even wear insulated boots anymore.Feet stay warmer without them when using the blankets.

9. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Brett....I've tried some of the methods you mentioned with no luck. And no, my boots are not tight. The boot blankets you posted are the ones I'm most likely going to go with. I've read great reviews on them...gotta give them a shot.

Quick...thanks for the input. I've tried quite a few things like you with no success. Do you have the type that covers the entire boot?

10. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Good info guys ;) thanks!!

11. RattleSnake

RattleSnake Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I too was very interested in this being back surgery 10 years ago took a good chunk of circulation from feet. I think I'll be buying a set of the boot blankets after reading this.

12. MOmighty

MOmighty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I got some of the Thermal feet based on Justin's reviews about them for x-mas. I never got to try them out last season, but will let you know here shortly if the temps stay the way they are going.

13. MN/Kyle

MN/Kyle Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I know I had to rub it in :D

Good luck though, I can imagine it sucking!

14. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Momighty...yeah, let me know but I'm going to go ahead and order some. :D I'm desperate.

Kyle...I hope you freeze your tail off this season! ;) :)

15. anmol77

anmol77 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    thanks for everything

16. montec

montec Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yes they work. I had a pair that I gave to my nephew last year since they were just laying around. I got something very similar that come with my Heater Body Suit so I just use those instead since they are not so bulky. Just throw a foot warmer in with them and you should be comfy for hrs.

17. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure if you ever tried this but hunting Western NY I had the same issue with cold feet and the solution is one of two options.
    Permanent is to get heated remote controlled inserts for your boots ( they kick ***) I have to turn them off during a long hunt no matter how cold it is out.
    Or I used to use hand warmers on the arch and toes of my boots. It works but there is no regulation

18. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Nothing like a spammer dragging up a 7 year old thread. :lol:

To this date I still use my Thermal Feet/Hot Mocs and love them. Unfortunately they've gone out of business so I need to hang onto mine for dear life.

19. bowhunter42

bowhunter42 BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    I got the therma cell heated insoles. They have a remote. They work for a few hours. On those long sits not much. Good wool socks

20. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nothing makes a hunt unbearable like cold feet