Tile for Hunting Equipment Theft

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Jeepwillys, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    After Reading a recent post (pink pony) of another victim of tree stand thefts. It jogged a memory of something I've been thinking about. Has any one ever looked into this. It seems to be fairly inexpensive. And it may give someone the possibility of getting their stuff back.

Tile - Never Lose Your Keys, Wallet Or Anything Again

It's fairly small so you should be able to figure out a way to hide it within a stand or other equipment. Maybe cutting a slit in the seat cushion or fitting it inside a railing or something. Any thoughts? :bod:

Also could be used to locate your stand in the woods if you get turned around.

2. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It looks to be relatively inexpensive ($25) - but I can honestly say I never thought about doing something like this. I would have to read more on it to see how far away it works, temperatures, etc. Heck, if it worked, I could use it to get to my stand - I get turned around all the time. It's something I would look more into - just not sure if I'd do it.

3. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The problem with this and Bluetooth devices in general are their typical range (20-30ft), though this device claims 100'.

If somebody stoll the stand (or whatever you tiled) you'd still probably have to be within range to find it OR the device would have to have been detected (paired to another device with gps) to see its last location.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  4. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You can lock in its last known location for finding it in the woods, and just use the map on your phone or other device.

You're right, it would have to be close to another Tile App user if it was ever stolen. Not GPS, It uses Bluetooth and if you mark it as lost on your app, if other apps detect it, it'll let yours know where it was detected at. So there is a chance it wouldn't do you well for recovery if it was in a more rural area. On the other hand if you lived in more of an urban area where there would be a chance of more App users then it could work well for you.