Gold Tip Kinetic Pierce

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by muzzyman88, Apr 28, 2016.

1. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    So I had an opportunity to test out a few of these arrows this week at my local shop. I want to first say I am in no way affiliated with Gold Tip. I just happen to shoot their stuff mostly, with a few breaks to try other brands in the between. I also want to say that I have never been a fan or believed that a micro diameter arrow offered enough benefits in the penetration department to matter to me.

I shot my normal Gold Tip Pro Hunter 340 spine at 27.5" with a 100 grain point. I also have an extra 50 grains on the insert to increase weight and FOC. Total arrow weight is right at 450gr.

The Kinetic pierce was a 340 spine at 28" with a 100 grain point. No extra weight on insert. Total arrow weight was 386gr. Now, this arrow is far lighter than I want to shoot for hunting but wanted to check them out.

The Pierce arrows penetrated on average 5-6 deeper in the block butt faces at the shop. Now I realize comparing this to live animals is far different but this has me intrigued.

Overall build and quality seems pretty good. I'm not so sure they're worth 160+ per dozen, but they shot well and seem to hit very hard. They also seem awfully durable. The insert and collar system seems to be a very strong design. I'm tempted to pull the trigger on a dozen for this season.

2. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I personally am a big fan of the smaller diameter shafts for both the penetration benefit and less wind resistance - especially on longer shots in open terrain (out West). I used to shoot GT Pro Hunters and never had an issue with them. When the Kinetics first came out I shot them as well, but just couldn't get them to fly right. Not sure if it was me or the arrow to be honest.

My only concern would be the weight on those. Sub 400 grains is pretty light - especially if you put a big expandable up front. If you can add a little weight to that insert you'll be in the money.

And yes, arrow cost is out of control. By the time you fletch it, put a broadhead on it and a lighted nock you're staring at a $40 arrow. :eek2:

3. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I can't stand anytype of outsert so they are out for me...

4. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If they have the insert/outsert thing figured out they will be awesome. I'm planning on trying them this year to hunt with. I also have shot Gold Tip mostly for a long time. They had an issue with bad nocks that cost me dearly in 2009 but other than that their shafts have been fantastic for me.

5. Rick James

Dislikes Received:
    Also - Their website is a bit vague, but it does appear that the insert they are using is compatible with their FACT weight system. There is a special wrench you will need though for the .166 inside diameter arrows if you want to adjust weight after the insert is glued in.

6. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    They are a different diameter then both the current .244 facts and the .209 facts.

7. Rick James

Dislikes Received:
    I just shot an email to Henry Bass to clarify. He's no longer with Gold Tip but I've got good access to him through BowTech in his new role there. I'll post up when he responds.

I do believe that if they finally have the insert/outsert thing figured out with a way to add weight to them this arrow might be the best thing out there right now.

8. Rick James

Dislikes Received:
  9. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Justin, they are a touch light, especially for a 340 spined shaft. However, I believe with the FACT weight system, etc., it will make it easier to increase weight and FOC. This is something I always struggle with the GT Pro, keeping weight where I want and increasing FOC. I'm with you on price though. Based on their charts for these things, I'd most likely bump up to the 300 spine because of the increased weight with the new outsert/collar system, etc.

I have a dozen and half GT Pro Hunters with insert weights, etc. all setup and shooting very well. I really can't justify spending 180 for shafts, on an experiment at this point.

The new Pierce shafts have a FACT system for them specifically. My shop has some and we checked their fitment, etc.

As for the outsert and collar. I beg to differ with some. This particular system seems like it will hold up exceptionally well. The outsert part that sticks out of the end of the shaft is approximately 3/8" at most. Combined with the adapter sleave that slides over it and about 3/4" of the end of the shaft, I believe it will make a very durable and strong system. If you can bend that system, you're also breaking the arrow.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  10. Rick James

Dislikes Received:
    I hope they do work well. I loved Victory VAP's the couple years I shot them but I went through so many of their inserts it was ridiculous. They would bend just on bag targets.

11. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    :hijacked:

Ok. Sorry to hijack this thread. But I need some expert input, on arrow selection. I know its gonna come down to how each shoots from the bow. I would like to hear though, which direction you would go.

I've ordered a Halon 7, 27 1/2" DL, 67# DW.

My goal is to have a heavier arrow for this set up. I'm not a speed freak, I just want that good balanced ratio.
    Accurate, Quiet, Hard hitting, Speed. Thats the order I put them in. These are the 2 arrows I'm considering right now. (I've also considered the FMJ)

GT Kinetic Kaos- 28" 340, OD .273, 472.97 Total weight, 11.99% FOC

GT Kinetic Platinum- 28" 340, OD .234, 448.17 Total weight, 14.78% FOC

Is there anything else I should consider. Or what other input do I need. I don't want to blindly pump money into a lot of arrows to narrow it down. I'd rather do some math first or find out what y'all's experiences have been.