Killzones or spitfires?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Ohiobowhunter13, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Ohiobowhunter13

Ohiobowhunter13 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Cant decide between the killzone maxx or spitfire xxx. Shooting Matthews creed xs 28.5/70lbs. Any advice? I've heard great things about both.

2. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Shoot them and see which one hits your fancy.

3. Lung Buster

Lung Buster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot the Spitfire XXX's and have been very happy with them. I use for deer and turkeys.

4. Daryl Bell

Daryl Bell Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I use the Killzones, but both are quality broad heads.

5. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use NAP Spitfires with my CB. Those things ain't no joke!

6. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am a fixed guy but if I switched and you held out these options I'm taking the Spitfires.

7. CToutdoorsman

CToutdoorsman Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot the killzone and have zero complaints, switched to the spitfire last season and shot a deer great blood trail from both but the spitfire broke a blade and i feel more comfortable with the locking spring on the killzone.

8. Trevor TFO

Trevor TFO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Used Killzones for deer and Spitfires for turkeys. No complaints with either BH

9. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I personally prefer the Spitfire, but have killed deer with both. Can't really go wrong either way.

10. Ohiobowhunter13

Ohiobowhunter13 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the input fellas. Justin made me wanna get the spitfire xxx when he put the smackdown on that nice buck season 6 episode 18 lol that exit hole was crazy and he dropped within sight.

11. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've used the Killzones for quite a few seasons and probably killed a dozen deer with them. Overall I'm happy with them. I'd like to get 3 blades though and possibly may swap to the Spitfire XXX's this year.

12. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I used the Spitfires a lot this past season, killed 7 antlerless with no problems!! But, its what you feel shoots better out of your bow!

13. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I like the standard sizes in both those broadheads. Some of the sharpest blades I have seen. The 2" plus cuts I have seen some issues with penetration. If your bow puts outage energy though that should not be a problem. Good luck choosing.

14. Junior73

Junior73 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Never shot the Killzones but I've shot the Spitfires for the last 7 years. As long as they're legal where I'm hunting that's what I'm using.

15. HuntMaine

HuntMaine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Killed 3 deer with the Killzone Maxx this year and I'm sold on them. Massive wound channels and excellent blood trails!

16. Clem

Clem Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I posted something a while ago asking about 2 or 3 blades, there were lots of opinions. The reason for my post was I shot a deer with my old bow (it was a gift from a friend that got me starting in bow hunting but it was 20 years old) and did not get an exit wound and virtually no blood, I got lucky and found the deer probably only because it died in the middle of the field. No blood for 150(ish) yards. Long story short if we hit where we are aiming you normally are going to be shooting through the ribs, with a three blade (Spitfire) you can't miss hitting a rib. 2 blades it is possible to miss a rib increasing your chance at an exit wound to help leave a blood trail.

My deer both lungs where hit and it died within 170 yards and it covered that in about 15 seconds the extreme angle of the shot meant all the blood was pooled in the chest cavity as there was no exit wound.

The case I gave a bow the bow was really old and had half the KE (or momentum if you read that post) of a bow like yours so 2 or 3 blades should not be a problem but just a thought. I have Spitfires and will still shoot them esp now I have a new Bow (Halon 29"/70#) but I'm going to get some killzones to try them out.

Clem

17. mike71198

mike71198 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have shot both out my Faktor 30 and both did great, my spitfire were more true to the 100gr, killzones were 107gr and the spitfires were 101gr

18. Junior73

Junior73 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Don't worry about ribs with the Spitfires. I've ribbed deer before and cut or broken through them like nothing was even there. That being said I shoot a 405 gr arrow out of a 29"/70# bow. The thing I personally like about them is that they're steel bodies with stainless blades, retainers and screws. I'm sure that the Killzones are good I've just no experience with them. But if a guy (or gal) is worried about bone, especially ribs, I can speak from experience to not be.

19. creed1

creed1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've never shot the spitfires but I've used the killzone for 3 years and haven't had to follow a blood trail yet.