Fear

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by DickensCPA, Apr 4, 2016.

1. DickensCPA

DickensCPA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm posting this here because I believe it's friendlier and more understanding or shall we say mature than other sites. ;)

I bought an HTR on 3/9 - ABSOLUTELY love it. My buddy loved it so much he sold his Prime and got one 3 days later.

On 3/20 we're doing our daughters bday party and my buddy texted he blew up his bow. The guy buying his Prime was shooting in his back lawn and my buddy shot with him, got to talking and forgot to nock an arrow and dry fired. He's out new mods and a string cable set and back in business.

Six days later on 3/26 we're shooting and my Meta peep apparently was cutting my string and the bow blew with me holding my release, arrow still nocked and I wound up with a field tip in my thigh, a nasty welp on the arm and the peep bounced off the riser and hit me in the eye.

I ordered a new custom string from Energywave (he's local to me) and it was ready the next day. On Monday my local shop is closed and I drove from Mid TN to Mid KY to buy the mods and was back in business Monday evening.

3/29 I get out to shoot for the first time and apparently my old TruFire is messed up and I take two to the nose/mouth. I go to the store and wind up with a Scott Little Bitty Goose.

3/30 my buddy comes over to shoot and we decide to check our draw weights on our newly purchased OMP M100s. He picks mine up while I'm looking for something and weighed it twice and on the 3rd time the circle up top broke as well as the hook that was on the dloop effectively dry firing the bow! This time the scale came down and hit my buddy in the face, warped my limbs, mods trashed and cams bent.

I call the local shop and he said we bought his first two scales he stocked and went to reorder and they would not sell to him because they were recalled. Bow goes to the shop Thursday morning and they sent it to Mathews and I'll be receiving a new bow on OMP's dime. Local shop REALLY went to bat for me and I hate the scale failed but at least OMP stood up and took responsibility. Hopefully have my new bow shortly. Turkey season starts Saturday.

Say all that that no one wanted to read to say - when I got the bow back the first time I was terrified even after shop said limbs were fine. I went from 70 to 61lbs and I could barely pull it back. Felt like pulling a truck. My friend thought it was easy and smooth and it was in my head. Now I'm shooting my old Diamond (maybe 6 arrows total) and I'm terrified the release will fail or the bow will blow. Every time the dual cam flip over thru the valley I flinch like it was gonna blow. Everytime I draw I hold the bow way out like I'm about to break my teeth.

How long to get thru this?

2. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Man that could be one of the craziest stories and runs of bad bow luck I've heard. I'm just glad you got it all sorted out.

The way I look at it... it's a like a hard tequila night.
    You can swear it off and never touch it again, or suck it up and get right back on the horse.

Best thing I think you can do is go shoot it. Lower the poundage like you did, but stop and check everything a few times here and there. You'll work back into it and love it, especially after going back to the diamond for a few shots.

3. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I didn't go through any where near what you did but I understand. Long ago I was drawing a bow back with my fingers and it slipped and the string ripped a nasty gash in my arm. As a result I got target panic bad. Took a long time to work through it and I still pay for it today. You just have to jump back in there and trust your equipment. It will take some time. Just get out there and shoot daily. Eventually it will become second nature again and things will come to order. You just need to be determined and willing to move on. Good luck and hang in there.

4. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That is awful luck. Get back to it, the only way to overcome fear is to face it.

5. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Probably wouldn't be helpful if I did this :lmao2:. Sorry, but holy crap what a run of bad luck! I had a nock split in half on a shot one time and a piece of it stuck in my hand, deep. I was afraid to shoot after that too, so I understand. Now man up, get over it, and shoot your damn bow. How was that, enough sensitivity for ya?

6. DickensCPA

Dislikes Received:
    No cuddling? J/K! LOL!

I know I have to get back on the horse. I've never really been scared of anything before and I guess I don't know how to deal with it. I kickboxed and moved into MMA in its infancy back when there were no gloves, time limits or weight classes and never even got anxious, just rolled with it. TBH, the string welp and arrow to the thigh really didn't hurt - it's that surprise element I didn't care for.

I liken it to when I was in school and then took the CPA exam. I NEVER studied at all, just retained everything I heard or read across. Never made a "B" from kindergarten to two undergraduate degrees and my Masters. Then came the CPA. You can't just have an abundance of memory, you have to study. That's when it hit me 21 years ago that I didn't know how. However I did get thru it.

Thanks for the shoulders to cry on! LOL!

7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You might want to consider another hobby.

8. DickensCPA

Dislikes Received:
    I've been shooting for years. Hunted with traditional until about 2004. Did have a little time with a xbow after double shoulder surgery. Don't understand what happened in a 5 day span.

9. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That is a tough series of events.

Over many years, I have had D-loops break causing me fat lips. I've even had limbs break and suffer parts and pieces everywhere while my arm ended up waaaayyyyyyy behind my back. Those events did take time to work through.

Probably the worst issue I have ever had with one of the shooting sports, a gunshop owner friend asked me to take a rifle that he had been working on, out back to test it. He handed it to me and told me that it was loaded so just flip the safety and shoot it. Being 25 years old and totally bullet proof, I just went out the door and shot it. Let me tell you that a 128# kid should NOT shoot a .378 Weatherby, unless they want to develop an instant flinch. The only cure for me was several years of lots of .22 shooting, moving towards a .300 Win Mag and NEVER again a .378 Weatherby!

As you have done, back off the weight and start shooting. If you find yourself hesitating as you shoot, STOP and get back after it tomorrow night. Shoot again the next day and gradually build up your shooting time. Mostly try and relax. You have already been through just about the worst of times!

10. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Catch us if you can....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. CToutdoorsman

CToutdoorsman Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I have never had any luck that bad but i did have me peep slip out and it hit me in the eye causeing me to let down to fast and i busted my knuckles of the riser, i was done shooting for about a week then got back into it. i still observe my peep before i shoot its become a habit now.

12. sethf11

sethf11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wow!! I would of quit and threw the bow out into the woods!!!

It will come back to you. Best thing you can do is "get back o the horse".

13. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I could see forgetting to nock an arrow, but how could you draw the bow and NOT be aware there's no arrow nocked? I just can't picture it.

14. Tetra

Tetra Newb

Dislikes Received:
    You are now disaster-proof. In a short period of time, you've worked through every possible catastrophe so it's smooth sailing from here. Congrats.

Also, please stay far away from me. ;)

15. Junior93

Junior93 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had a faulty limb on my bow and it exploded. When the explosion settled I still had my release hooked to my d-loop and my riser in my other hand... But nothing connecting the two. It didnt cause me to want to shoot my bow any less, but my girlfriend watched it happen and had just bought a bow the week prior. She is still terrified of her bow, I'm hoping that she will grow to trust it again.

16. Daryl Bell

Daryl Bell Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Wow! That's all I can say..

17. DickensCPA

Dislikes Received:
    I guess he was more focused on the guy shooting the bow he was trying to sell or a momentary mental lapse.

18. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It comes in 3s, so you are good. Your buddy has it coming though :evilgrin:

... oh, and please don't touch my bow :poke:

19. Bryan Jeffrey

Bryan Jeffrey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Like i always say about riding motorcycles. "Skin grows back. Metal doesnt" As long as you have the cash on hand to fix it. youll be fine.
    This is actually a horrible saying. iv been in a couple pretty good accidents. Iv even had a set of 20" apes rip in half on me when the bike got speed wobbles. But my point is. IF it is something you love to do. dont be afraid of it. fear is what will get you killed.

and honestly. what is the worst that could happen at this point. you now know a peep can NOT puncture your eyeball. so worst case is you get a nice little whip from the string. man up at this point you should feel invincible

20. successful failure

successful failure Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Dam bro I didn't know speed wobbles could rip handlebars in half...wtf happened?

I was going to sturgis a few years back from north Texas and was coming into rapid city doing 85 mph with my lady on the back...didn't lay it down but I was shook for a couple of days...I couldn't imagine going thru what you went thru

Tags: