Hunting Near Houses

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by CToutdoorsman, Apr 1, 2016.

1. CToutdoorsman

CToutdoorsman Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    For me in CT my property is bordered by others that i have permission on but with small blocks of woods and then the land owners house, I always love to hunt stands like this in the morning because around me the deer are coming back from eating their flowers so its a good ambush point, but a few times i have had the landowners kids or someone else from the neighborhood come walking through. I have never been spotted in the tree so i'm doing something right!

Anybody else have these kind of experiences?

2. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I love stepping out in front of "trespassers" that haven't seen me as they walked across my land.

3. youngfart

youngfart Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I do it almost every hunt, dogs are the main culprit! Man a dog really can run a deer . Seen both dog and deer with tongues hanging out of their mouths. Amazing how both dog & deer seem to miss the barbed wire as they sprint through 4 strand wire fence with out cutting them selves. Kids coming out to the bush behind there house to explore the main bush. Always get a kick out of scaring the crap out of them as they pass bye below me. Been lucky as they walk bye my cameras with out stealing any! I've had many a hunt ruined by people coming out to explore.
    Rocky

4. TrackSoup

TrackSoup Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A few years back I used to occasionally watch a hunting show from New York state that focused on a group of guys hunting in subdivisions. Interesting /:-)

5. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have and the only issue I have had is a deer I shoot falling dead in someone's yard. Other than that, the people in the neighborhood knew we were hunting and they avoid those areas.

6. sethf11

sethf11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in New York. What's the name of the show. I would like to check it out.

I have a sweet spot that is about 25 acres surrounded by houses I'm going got focus on. Borders my dads land. He saw a real nice 10 pointer in it last season!

7. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    One place I had to abandon because the neighbor saw the kids hunting there one day and then everyday in the afternoon she tied her dog out on the property edge near the wood line. It was a small 8 acre track and some nice bucks cruised it looking for does. The dog just sat there an barked till she came to get it after dark.

8. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Long Island, its the only way too hunt!!

9. Captn Kirk

Captn Kirk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That is my setup when I hunt my property 25 acres with 20 in hardwood surrounded by houses biggest problem I have is stoping kids from cutting thru. I see cats almost every sit. squirrels go nuts. :nana:

10. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    A big part of why I hunt where I do is because of houses on adjoining property, it is a huge part of the funnel that I use. I have cover and topography to screen the deer on the plot. Last year I was watching a dozen or more deer come and go while I heard leaf blowers and kids trick or treating in the distance.

11. Arrowhead

Arrowhead Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Man, what I wouldn't give to have some wide open spaces to hunt, but I've gotten used to hunting around the suburbs, unfortunately.
    I find that I'm more wary of the people than the deer.

12. Rangerdan

Rangerdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Its happened to me multiple times. I tend to try and find hunting areas with less pressure=generally areas with firearm discharge ordinances, which means bowhunting only. The reason for the ordinance of course is nearby residential areas. When I travel to hunt late season in Long Island, NY the same thing happens all the time. Doesn't seem to bother the deer either, they are used to it!

13. 18andrew

18andrew Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Shot my first buck with a bow 2 years ago while the neighbor kids and dog were riding quads and running around probably 200 yards on the other side of a thicket behind me.. The deer seem to get used to the sounds coming from certain directions and it doesn't bother them. But here in Ohio there's a few city's that are trying to pass a bow hunting law that if you have a certain amount of acres you could be allowed to bow hunt.. Oddly enough I hope it passes just to hunt those suburban areas.. The amount of deer and huge bucks in these areas are insane.. Don't get me wrong I like hunting in the wide open woods more than around houses but hunting near a house certainly doesn't shorten your chance of shooting a deer

14. Lastoneout

Lastoneout Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Couple of my spots are like this... I don't really care when it happens. For the most part deer are used to it in these kinda areas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15. fox hollow 2

fox hollow 2 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    There is a patch of woods about 45 acres with subdivisions on 3 sides, and a river on the back side. It is mainly a big hollow with a small creek running through the middle of it. It is probably one of my better places to hunt. People around here seem to have trouble comprehending the words "No Trespassing". Its mostly kids, but adults as well. People think because there is a 4-wheeler path it is ok to ride through and look around, even on posted ground. There are many difficulties on these types of properties. But one of the biggest troubles I have found (especially) around a lot of houses, are the many corn piles and feeder people put out. There are a lot of deer here, but sometimes it is difficult to kill a target buck when he is following does into peoples yards.

16. TrackSoup

TrackSoup Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The show was on History Channel & is called "Chasing Tail". I was able to find the show link on google

Chasing Tail - Google Search

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016