How high?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by ShaneB22, Mar 30, 2016.

1. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys, haven't posted on here in a while. I have this spot where there's a rub line year after year but there really isn't a good tree to put a stand in except for some huge poplars. They don't have any branches for about 60' and there's not much to hide my silhouette against the sky if they catch me at the right angle. If I were to put a stand in one of them how high do you think I would have to go to even have a chance? My ladder is 20' but I have a lot of screw in steps and I'm not particularly fond of heights as some of you may know but if it means having a chance at a good buck then I could get used to it.

2. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    20ft should be fine. You can also get a couple pieces of pic pipe and zip tie some camo netting to it then ratchet on tree behind you using ratchet straps. Do that now and they will get use to it.

Also would a ground blind work there?

3. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'd be getting a blind figured out right now. As cops said, you can create your own back round but that too should be done soon.

4. ShaneB22

Dislikes Received:
    I had that idea a few years ago, I had measurements and everything wrote down but I never bought the pieces. I was looking for a spot to put a ground blind but the undergrowth is pretty thick so there's not really anywhere to put it. The only open spot fills with rain water and makes a nice little water hole.

5. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ^Good Advice^

6. victoryhunter

victoryhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think 20ft is plenty high, I hunt an area that is similar with good success. One thing you can do is set up your stand on the opposite side of the tree from where you think the deer will come. This gives you cover so you can draw and shoot as they pass you without being seen.

7. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's the situation I have in one of my spots, nothing but tall tulip poplars to hang my stand in. They are a good diameter though. I have found that if you don't "skyline" yourself and hunt higher up (25'+) you'll be OK. Just make sure there's other trees around you.

8. ShaneB22

Dislikes Received:
    That's the problem. It's just a bunch of big poplars in that area so I'm going high up and going try and make something like copperhead said.

9. ShaneB22

Dislikes Received:
    I'll probably try to stand most of the time and get up against the tree to try and help a bit.

10. early in

Dislikes Received:
    I know, I mean don't be on the outskirts of the poplars, that's where you would be seen more easily. Hunt more in the middle of them.

11. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    this is a good idea ^^^^^^^

if the tree is wider than you it will hide your profile. or maybe get some camo the same color as the tree and you should blend right into the tree. I wouldn't go higher then 20'; you will become in an uncomfortable situation and could risk a fall. you should be at a height where you can move freely without tensing up for fear of you life. but victoryhunters post is the best idea and has worked several times for me. good luck!

12. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You said that the ground areas are thick with undergrowth. BONUS!!!!! I clear enough of an area to set up a blind leaving lots of the undergrowth in front for cover, cutting out shooting lanes. If I'm not using a blind, I make a blind with the surrounding brush.

13. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I like a little higher than 20 if no backdrop. I feel 20 is right on the edge of their peripheral vision. I would use a couple screw ins but that's just me. I like 24-27 ft. But even just a couple feet makes a difference. Like others said if you wanna put up a makeshift backdrop to avoid the height it would suffice. Just my 2cent

14. ybohunt

ybohunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you really dont want to use a blind I would try getting some leafy branches and fastening them behind the stand via zip ties/rachet straps.

However this sounds like a place that I would definatly use a blind,like elkguide said the thick underbrush is a bonus when using a blind as it will help break up the outline of the blind.

15. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Private land? If so I would stay on the ground. Cut a place and some shooting lanes. Years ago I made a platform just 2' off the ground and a blind on it. It was a swamp and it kept my feet out of the water.

16. Bryan Jeffrey

Bryan Jeffrey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What's wrong with being on your feet on the ground??

17. killer chill-r

killer chill-r Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've had the same issue on a couple of spots on my place. As shocker said I think 20' is right at their peripheral vision. I had one buck bust me at 22' from the ground. So that one spot I use my climber & get about 30-35' up there. It's high but they don't see me. I drilled a doe a couple years ago in that spot she was 20yrds & I was able to stand up get my bow & come to a full draw real fast & she didn't have any idea I was there or what hit her.

18. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a problem with trees that are not big enough around to block my silhouette. My solution has been to cut up an old artificial Christmas tree, take a drill and make holes in the tree. I then stick the branches into the holes to break up my outline. I have also used zip ties to attach branches from artificial and real trees to my climber. Just be sure that if you use an artificial tree that it is green and not one of those acid-tripping flamboyantly pink hippy ones.

19. early in

Dislikes Received:
    To be very honest, you have a snowball's chance in Hell of killing a deer from the ground on the Public land I hunt. I'm not saying you CAN'T, I'm saying it's not very likely at all. The deer in my woods are HIP to our crap! lol

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  20. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The best situation for hunting on the ground is heavily pressured deer. Today almost every hunter is in a tree and the second the deer get a whiff of human scent they start scanning the trees. Make yourself a couple natural blinds out of whatever is there and hunt the one that's best for the wind. My favorite blind right now is not a blind at all, just a stone wall and a bunch large of barberry bushes. I bring a beach chair, a thermos of coffee, a blanket, and settle in. The deer don't see me unless they almost step on me! Learn to shoot seated or kneeling for less movement. Be confident, the last few deer I shot were all from the ground.