Cellular Trail cameras...are they worth it?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Shane0709, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Shane0709

Shane0709 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I was looking into buying a cellular trail camera for our property about 3 hours away. I know that I will have to setup a cellular plan for it, but I was curious as to how much this will add up to. I don't want a couple windy pictures to use up the whole amount. Also, there is very little reception there, and I have heard that you need at least three bars. I have also heard of that there are cameras that send you the pictures without opening up another cellular plan, but you have to be within close proximity to the hunting spot. What would be the route for me to go considering the circumstances a is it worth it? thanks

2. macsolocam

macsolocam Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As of right now covert cams seem to the most popular in our area, you pay for a 3month plan up front, and each photo gets sent to your phone or email, you choose, when you open your message inbox on phone it looks just like your buddy texted you a pic, not complicated at all.

The blackhawk\or code black run about $400

But keep in mind moultrie is releasing a "modem" this summer that'll run $200 that attaches\straps above your gen2 990i and will send pics as well, cell rates range from $10-40 a month

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

3. macsolocam

macsolocam Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Oh and yea it's freaking awesome to be on lunch break and my buddy says "check this out", and its a 140" feeding in a food plot. It just keeps you more plugged into the already addicting sport

Plus $20-30 bucks every 3 months is cheaper than gas to drive 3 Hrs every month

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

4. kwachHTX

kwachHTX Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use 3 bushnell wireless trophy cams. Bought all 3 on eBay. $330-$350 for each. Pay $10 per month each for up to 1000 pics on each cam. They have been awesome for me. We get pics sent to us on 1 bar.

Quick story, I was hunting about 70 yards from a camera on the opposite side of the timber. At first light a pic was sent to me of a nice 8 so i hit the rattling horns and moments later he was walking to me. Unfortunately he did not present a shot but it was a cool experience. ImageUploadedByBowhunting.com Forums1459201134.383158.jpg ImageUploadedByBowhunting.com Forums1459201143.775879.jpg

One pic was when i first saw him, the next was after I hit the horns and he was going in my direction.

5. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yessir I think they are worth every penny if you have good cell service where you hunt. I want to use one at my #2 Property, but it is so remote, I barely get a signal to make a call. However, I recently picked up a 215 acre lease and cell coverage is awesome there. Covert Cell cams work really well because they are on Verizon's network. Cell cams are really easy to use. If you got the coverage there, go for it!

6. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have only used the Code Black from Covert. Its great as you get up to the minute information. If you have Verizon or AT&T you can get an unlimited text plan and that is your flat rate no matter how many pictures it sends as its counted and a text. You can set it up to email but that requires use of a data plan.

I added my cell camera to my cell plan and only pay 15.00 a month extra as its essentially does not need to use data. Just to be safe I would get a AT&T GoPhone or a Verizon Prepaid phone and test cell reception. You do have the option to go the prepaid route but that can be more costly.

I personally think its worth it to have one unless you have the spare time to go check your cams regularly. I almost like checking my cams as much as hunting

7. NCcrittergitter

NCcrittergitter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Come Sam share the wealth, surely need a someone to help thin the herd on that lease :biggrin:

8. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Pope & Young ineligible.

9. bassmasterjk

bassmasterjk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yes. I have both the Covert and stealth cam. Stealth cam is much better quality in the picture clarity.

10. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    We need to hang out and shoot soon!

11. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Covert Blackhawk (Verizon) can send a photo on 1 bar of 3g. I use the blackhawk and as long as I don't stick the camera in front of a bait pile the pictures are usually pretty decent, too many raccoons in the area for camera to be on bait.

12. kb1785

kb1785 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good information, I was thinking of getting a couple for a new property that my brother and I have that has excellent cell coverage and I just happen to know a dealer for covert that I can get a great price. Thanks for sharing.

13. myot

myot Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    we use a couple of U-way cellular cams and they work great
    specially for not disturbing a hunting site preseason
    however they use a lot of battery power

Dan

14. Jderouin

Jderouin Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm interested in the bushnell wireless as well. Curious were the pics u posted the high resolution or standard? My concern was once the files were compressed they would be tough to view zoom ect.

15. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Been using the Covert Blackhawk for awhile now and I feel the high resolution pics do get compressed too much when sent via text. Most of my pictures at 8mp are very pixelated, I would like to try 10mp but worried about battery life.

16. Farmer Brown

Farmer Brown Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That is an awesome story! That alone right there may make me purchase 1 for next year!

17. sethf11

sethf11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You guys are making me so broke. I gotta have one of these now.

18. Thompsonky12

Thompsonky12 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm struggling to get my stealth cam set up. It says no network connection so it makes me wonder if I even able to get service

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Pro V1

Pro V1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    ???????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I finally got my 2014 Covert Code Black out. It's pretty entertaining to get pics sent to your phone and email.

Battery life on cheapo alkaline batteries is pretty awful but that's to be expected.

The pics that are sent are low quality but you can figure out what you're looking at.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]