Peep sight, who still uses tubed peep sight?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Bails-UK, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Bails-UK

Bails-UK Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Guys, long time since I posted on here and always find it a good source of info

Anyways I'm getting new strings and cables fitted on my Mathews Z7 and before I have my tube attached peep put back on, I was wondering if anybody actually still uses tubed peep sights or do new technology advanced and pre-tensioned string and cables prevent peep sight spin. At least with my tube attached I know my peep ain't gonna turn when the shot I've been waiting for presents itself. Thoughts please?

2. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Only people willing to loose their eyesight use a tubed peep. With today's quality string materials and building processes there is no need to use one.

3. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Must be you never been slapped in the face by one of those ancient things coming apart! The quality of the materials used and the quality and care put into making strings today has eliminated the need for something to hold your peep in place. Lose the tube!

4. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Would never use one. When I got my first bow about 10 years back or so it had one on it and I didn't know the difference. One morning while up in my stand I realized that the tube snapped. Must have happened that morning walking through he woods. I changed it that day and will never go back.

5. Bails-UK

Dislikes Received:
    Wow, thanks Guys, thats what I was hoping to hear. I've always checked for wear on the tube and suppose got stuck in my ways, I've always worried about snagging with the tube and snapping it and also the dreaded slap up the face when it snaps. Like I said, I was hoping you would say they are no longer needed, but its always better to hear it from experience.

6. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Fwiw-I have one on one of my bows and the silicon tubing is replaced (at least) annually just as preventive maintenance.

7. tdk5525

tdk5525 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I hate them....to noisy

8. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Have never and will never use the tube. It's just extra crap you don't need on your bow.

9. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I used one until about a two years ago when I bought my last bow. I had tried the tubeless several times and none of them ever worked for very long. I was always afraid they wouldn't work when go time came so I always shied away from them. Then when I bought my last bow, the tech at my local shop told me what I was doing wrong with the tubeless, and since then I've had no problems at all. And yes, I've been smacked in the face a few times by the tube type.

Blessings.........Pastorjim

10. Bails-UK

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Pastorjim, thats exactly whats happened, I've shied away form the tubeless as I could never get it to line up, but things have moved on and I'm ready to make the step from tubed to tubeless....... thanks to the advice of yourself and others who have reaffirmed what I was hoping, strings are better material now and come pretensioned, which elliminates the peep twist I used to experience years back.

11. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I still use one. Although, this thread is making me think I should switch before next season.

12. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I almost switched back to a tube type because my peep kept turning on me. Then I noticed that half of my string (one of the two colors) was broken. The break was hidden from plain view by the cable guard. Everything was coming untwisted.

New set of strings and now the peep is straight, after a little training.

Moral of my story: if your peep is rotating, there might be something more wrong than string stretch.

13. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    with a brand new string there is very minimal amount of string stretch as most strings are pre-stretched. I usually have my peep set perfect and then usually about after 100-200 shots it may rotate a small amount. Just have your local shop put a small twist in the string to put it back in place. Or sometimes you can push down on the string you have it served in with to get it to rotate a small amount. The string technology is so much better now that any movement is usually a small amount which is easily fixed.

14. BuffaloBill

BuffaloBill Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had one put on my bow because I didn't really know any better. I find it rather annoying now so I will probably change it to a tubeless peep before deer season.

15. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    All it took was one time getting snapped almost in the eye for me to decide I was never using one with a tube again. That was around 2007 I think, and I never even considered going back.