Looking at Targets

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by SuperKirby, Mar 25, 2016.

1. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Any recommendations? Is a 3D deer type target helpful or is the money better spent on some of the self healing foam blocks? I'd like to try to keep it around 100 give or take.

2. cawwwrin

cawwwrin Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    In my opinion, a target is a target. Just make sure it's rated for your draw weight. 3D targets are more fun to shoot at for me, but block targets get the job done. They have plenty of block targets for under $100 and I've even seen 3D targets for around $100.

3. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If this is your first target I would go with a 18-1 or similar portable target. You never know when you might want to take it somewhere. If you already have other targets a 3D is always fun to shoot at!

4. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Definitely some sort/brand of a block style target. A 3D target is for a fun more than a skills based learning target. I have both but I find myself shooting the blocks about 3 - 1.

5. Swise660

Swise660 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I like block targets because I like to zone in on a spot to aim at compared to an "area" on a 3d target. With that said, we have three 3d targets and only one block. I end up taking tape or target dots and sticking them on the 3d so I have a spot to aim at.

6. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I currently have one block. It was used when I got it and it still stops arrows but it's seen better days and ultimately it would be nice to have a second target anyway. The part about a target having dots makes sense and seems like it would make you a better shot, though a 3d target would be more fun. Any other advantages to one or the other?

7. sundevil180shooter

sundevil180shooter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have the rinehart 18-1 target. Easy removal and its really nice to travel with (target practice in the back yard and then throw it in the truck and head up to elk camp and it doesnt take up much room).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The advantage to 3D is you're learning to shoot the appropriate area. So when you're actually hunting you know where to aim.
    Bag targets are cheaper and are great for field points.
    I have a block. It does great, but it's huge. The 18-1 I think would be my next broad head target because as mentioned it's portable.

9. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ^THIS^