Early season scouting

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by 18andrew, Mar 16, 2016.

1. 18andrew

18andrew Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This will be my first full year using trail cams and I'm still figuring out where to place them.. Wondering where you all place trail cams in the spring and summer. Food source, pinch points, bedding areas??

2. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Trails, current food sources, and just anywhere you would expect them to be. Stay out of bedding areas and don't expect to see the bucks in the same places you see them now, come fall. It's about the right time to start putting out mineral sites as well. That always attracts them. Have fun and enjoy!

Blessings..........Pastorjim

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
  3. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Like Pastorjim said... but also, keep in mind putting them in places you can easily and quickly get in and out of, that the deer wont travel.

The hardest part about trail cams (for me at least) is wanting to check them all the time. However, doing so means you're stinking up the joint and pressuring the deer.
    Same goes for stand locations.

4. Rangerdan

Rangerdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Try to find the routes they use in and from the bedding areas on the outskirts, don't go into the beds after shed-hunting of course! Try to leave your cameras as long as possible before checking them. Salt is absent in allot of new growth vegetation, so mineral licks are favored during this time of the year.

5. ybohunt

ybohunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    As others have said mineral licks are pretty good right now,also if you want to set a cam up on a field but you dont know where to place it just set it up at one end on time-laspe mode for about a week and then look at the pics and see where they are coming out and move your cam close to there.

6. 18andrew

18andrew Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What mineral sights would you recommend? A normal salt lick or like some deer cane?

7. 18andrew

18andrew Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I guess my problem would be that I haven't used trail cams until about early September last year and all I did was throw them on a tree in front of my existing stands and just looked at what walked by.. But with trail cams 50 yards or even less could be a world of difference so I'm just trying to get some ideas of how to find places to hang them

8. TKP030

TKP030 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you want to attract the deer then a salt lick like trophy rock (97% salt) will work just fine. Salt is basically candy to deer, but if you want to supplement the herd more one with lower levels of salt and higher of calcium and phosphorus with some trace mineral would work better and still attract them

9. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Many on here use Monster Raxx and have good results. I have also used Lucky Buck and had very good results. Another one I have been using in recent years is Buck Jam. It is a liquid that comes in several flavors. The deer I use it on really seem to like the apple flavor.

Blessings.........Pastorjim