Shoulder surgery and bows

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by indynotch50, Mar 15, 2016.

1. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I know a few guys at work that have had shoulder surgery and still bowhunt, but anyone else on here?
    I had my MRI last night so I'm not certain yet but it's not looking good. The key is just getting it fixed correctly then see what I can do.
    Currently I have a 70# mathews xtreme so that will almost for sure be traded off for something lower poundage, most likely a 50-60 and I'll have to keep the bow at 50 hopefully being able to build up to 60 by hunting season.

This is all pretty new to me. I'm not looking to spend a ton of money since my bowhunting is limited.

Just want to see about anyone who has had shoulder surgery (rotator) and their experience with finding a new bow.

2. happyhunter

happyhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Any new bow by a reputable company will shoot near 300 FPS @ 50-55 pounds with the right setup. Save a lot of money buying a used bow that is 1-3 years old

3. killer chill-r

killer chill-r Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was suppose to have surgery to repair a rotator cuff about 3 years. I couldn't even lift my arm up past my 1/2 way. Then I had a lady in the church tell me about diatamatious earth or DE. I started taking the stuff & about a month later I could lift my arm all the way up & could lift weights again. I started with 2 tablespoons in the morning & 2 in the evening. Not the greater tasting stuff but it worked. Today j can still lift weights & draw a 70# bow with no problem. I would give it a try before surgery. I've heard that the recovery is long & hard after a rotator cuff surgery. Good luck!!

I think the only place to get DE is at the feed store & you have to get food grade.

4. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Torn rotator cuff and labrum here.

No surgery but lots of physical therapy and acupuncture and I'm still shooting.

5. happyhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The deep cortisone shot works wonders. Not pleasant, but mine has lasted 7 years.

6. elkguide

Dislikes Received:

He's asking about shoulder issues not about a "frontal lobotomy" hh!

7. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If it were me, and someday it could very well be, I would buy a hyper-adjustable "youth" bow. Diamond Infinite Edge, Bear Cruzer, etc.

That way it could be turned down as far as needed and still have full upside potential while recovering.

With the proper arrow/broadhead and shot selection, deer can be taken at 35 pounds of draw weight.

8. happyhunter

Dislikes Received:
    How you get all that funniness in such a little body?

9. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    when I tore mine shooting a bunch on a 65# Z7 extreme and after the operation to sew up the tore muscle and rehab I bought 50# limbs for the Z7, set it at 40 and started working back up. It cost about $150 to get 50# limbs so cheaper than a new bow. After working my way back up to 50 I had my 65 limbs put back on and shoot them at 55 and will likely stay here. If you've torn something I would get it sewn back up. I was able to get full range of motion back with my arm just gutting through it but that didn't fix the tore muscle. so until I got that sewn up and it healed shooting right handed was out for me. I did learn to shoot left handed which others have done and used a left handed bow for the hunting season after I tore it and then got the operation in January so I was healed up and shooting right handed again for the next season. good luck with it.

10. elkguide

Dislikes Received:

Pressure hh. Pressure!

11. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Just don't try rushing to shoot again. Those take a long time to heal.

Blessings.......Pastorjim

12. sethf11

sethf11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    December of 2014 I had a slap labrum tear in my shoulder. My tendon separated from the bone. I had to have frays clipped off the tendon, 2 anchors to connect the tendon back to the bone as well as some muscles to be stitched back up.

I didn't shoot my bow once u till like August and my first draw was back at 74 lbs and I have never looked back once. My shoulder was torn and it was a "major" repair.

13. happyhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Uh, at your age, you have no pressure, other than high blood pressure. :)

14. kgtech

kgtech Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    elite bow are easy on the shoulder and do every well with shooting heavy arrows.

do you'er rehab and let the dr. know you like to bow hunt. i took 1 yr off and then start shooting again.

15. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    torn labrum and rotator cuff here... it's been 10 years and nothing has changed whatsoever, except... I can throw a ball again.

16. indynotch50

Dislikes Received:
    Wow, seems pretty common (thankfully). Thanks guys for all the suggestions and it seems like the full range.
    The plan is to do whatever it takes to fix it correctly, so in 20 years i'm not feeling the pain in it still and have full motion.

I've been talking to my shop owner and he said we can work to get my bow sold and find something I'll be happy with that I can start at 50 and work up, but most likely I won't be going over 60 any more (not because I don't think i'll be able to, mostly because I don't really have to)

I'm definitely taking the approach of a marathon and I know I'm not going to be back to shooting a week after, but long term, I want this viewed as a speed bump, not a tire shredder.

17. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I broke my shoulder in half. Literally. No surgery but long healing process and alot of pain. I bit the bullet and hunted with a crossbow for a couple years. Took my time rehabbing it and I shoot a smooth low poundage compound again with no problems.

18. indynotch50

Dislikes Received:
    Broke in half? IN HALF?? No surgery?
    That's crazy man.

19. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yup the ball on the Humerus was snapped right in half. It was a clean break so they opted to let it heal on its own. The painful part was that a big part of the scapula that keeps the arm in the shoulder socket chipped off. That was my problem when drawing, my arm would dislocate from the socket. My buddy didn't believe me but then witnessed it dislocate while drawing his bow. I think he almost passed out. :lol:

20. ScentLokSoldierUSA

ScentLokSoldierUSA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am unfortunately an expert at this. I have had my right shoulder repaired twice. Once to college sports and once to work. Staying in general fitness and following the orders have been the best for me. I still do my band exercises when I workout and stretch a lot. Building up strength in surrounding muscles helps tremendously with relieving some added stress that may be placed on the injury site. Hope this helps. I've been shooting just fine since then and had no problems.