How much arrow weight difference is noticable in terms of accuracy?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Bow Duke, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Bow Duke

Bow Duke Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I recently picked up a half dozen CE Maxima Red Mathews arrows cut to length from my local shop. My first batch from them were factory fletched, however this second batch was fletched by the shop and ended up being a little bit heavier.

When I got home I weighed all of the arrows and noticed about an 8 grain difference among the collective batch of new/old arrows--new batch was generally 5-7 grains heavier. I ended up removing the field tips of all of the new/old arrows and weighing the shafts and tips separately. I then put the heaviest tips on the lightest shafts and vice versa and was able to close the weight gap of the collective batch to 5 grain difference.

I suspect this is just an academic question, because of other shot variables, but how much of a difference would you expect at 40 yards for arrows that are 5, 10, 15, or even 20 grains different in weight?

(We are between seasons, so humor me. :D)

2. Captn Kirk

Captn Kirk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I know at the 5 gr difference at 40 yards made no difference for my setup. Chill R 70lbs 28in 415 gr and 420 gr

3. Bryan Jeffrey

Bryan Jeffrey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I weight match my arrows and field points as well. you dont really start noticing a difference tell about 60+ yards, but if you dont practice at that range regularly. you wouldnt see the difference.

I can imagine that a 20 grain difference would be noticeable at 40 yards. when i went from east axis to easton bloodlines. the bloodlines were hitting 2" higher at 30 yards.

4. victoryhunter

victoryhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    In my experience shooting both recurve and compound, I've never really noticed a difference until I started using a difference of 50 grain or more.

5. Bow Duke

Bow Duke Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Bryan, out of curiosity, what is the approximate weight difference between these arrows in your example?

6. blueicefire

blueicefire Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well I can say that right now I'm just practicing form and I have been shooting 1 Victory vForce arrow 300 with a 100grain tip and 1 Carbon Express Heart Attack with a 350 spine and 100grain tip. First there is a size difference and second weight difference.

At 10 yards nothing really, at 20 yards about 1/2 inch height with the Carbon Express dropping and at 30 yards a good 1.5 - 2 inch drop.

The bow is dead-on with Victory arrows, though I'm swapping to Easton Deep Six FMJ's. But I'm also swapping bows to a new New Breed GX2. So like I said I'm just working form for the time being till all the new gear comes in.