Ozonics

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Ryan A, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Ryan A

Ryan A Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Who uses it and what are your thoughts? I wish all my stand sites were bulletproof with the right wind but unfortunately this isn't the case. I hear a lot of guys swear by them, and would also use it to deodorize my hunting clothes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't use one if they gave them away. Seriously, if you hunt the right wind and hunt high up, you don't need no stinking Ozonics. It's just more crap to haul into the woods. Over time I've learned to only carry the things I actually need, and Ozonics isn't one of them. jmo

3. Ryan A

Ryan A Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt a lot over food plots and sometimes there is no perfect wind. All it takes is one deer coming from an unexpected direction that blows and clears the entire field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I set up a tent by my garage when I hunt, I call it a scent free tent I keep my gear and camo in there and I shower in the house and go to the tent to dress for hunting. I added an ozone generator to the tent when I set it up to descent it, run it again when I add the gear and again when I add the layers and camo. I turn it on when I get in the shower and reset the timer to run while I change. If you are clean and take precautions and use the wind and do not deny conditions to hunt there is no need to bring a machine up in a tree.

5. TKP030

TKP030 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    had a buddy that bought one this year and wont go without it ever again the way it sounds. got off late from work and went straight to the stand without showering. wind shifted and still ended up killing a mature buck dead down wind. sounds like their commercials i know

6. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We have a screened in porch that we don't do much with at all. I leave my hunting clothes hang in there from August until the end of the season. They definitely smell like the outdoors. I've never tried one of the ozone machines, I'm not saying they don't work, but I agree with Sota, I'm not taking anymore than I need to the stand.

7. Swampthing

Swampthing Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Do you value your health?

8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I think that you may be over stating the danger of ozone exposure.

9. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    This is hands down one of my favorite Internet-born sayings. "HUNT THE WIND!" We hear guys shouting it from the tops of their keyboards almost daily. As if the rest of the hunters on the web have somehow missed the fact that we should be watching wind direction when we decide when and where to hunt and they're cluing us into this wonderful secret we've been missing out on. So THAT's what I've been doing wrong all of these years!! :mad:

Of course we're going to hunt based on wind direction. However, unless I'm missing something, the deer don't always understand that they're supposed to approach our location from upwind. I've tried talking to them and leaving them little notes but nothing seems to work. For some reason they act like unpredictable wild animals and do things all on their own, sometimes with no rhyme or reason. It's really frustrating! Stupid deer.

I've also tried controlling the wind direction using a series of tarps and solar powered fans but that doesn't work either. Try as I might the wind swirls from time to time and is also affected by things like changing temperatures, pressure, and terrain. I know, it's the darndest thing. One of these days I'll figure out a way to stop the wind from acting like the wind.

In conclusion I don't doubt that ozone technology works and that Ozonics can help in the right situation, however I've never personally enjoyed using one. I do own one and rarely, if ever, use it. Mostly because I didn't feel like carrying one extra thing with me into the woods and I got sick of listening to the fan humming over my head during a quiet morning's hunt. However if someone is cool with that and wants to use one, I say go for it. I know people who swear by them. I also know guys who kill big deer every year without them. To each their own.

As for scent control on your clothing & gear I would look at the Scent Crusher bags and closets. IMO they're a great option for scent control that's less money than an Ozonics and includes a very nice gear storage/transport duffle.

[​IMG]

10. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    This is the Internet. People would never do that.

11. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    A ozone generator without a buck on the package can be bought and shipped to your door for under $40.

12. Joe Bear

Joe Bear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Got a link to that? I might try it out...

13. montec

montec Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Really ?? As an owner and user of Ozonics , it never fails to amaze me when I read a quote like this. The directions are extremely simple to follow "the unit is to be placed down wind of you". NEWS FLASH....if you can smell ozone ...YOU ARE USING IT WRONG.
    Should be a no-brainer, but ......

14. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I used it extensively with excellent results over the last few seasons. A search on here will turn up similar threads with plenty of previous discussions.

15. fferazzi1

fferazzi1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    If you decide to get one you may want to wait fir the newest, much improved version that is coming out in June. Its the HR-300.

16. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    First off, I heard the old "HUNT THE WIND" advice LONG before the internet was even thought of. Far from internet born. Secondly, you give folks way too much credit for their knowledge regarding wind direction. I'd bet most don't even pay it any attention. Lastly, you neglected to mention stand height, which is as important, if not more so, than wind direction. Yea, no future in trying to control wind direction.

17. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am considering buying one. I have the Scent Crusher plug in for my truck and that thing is Awesome! I am going to buy the Scent Crusher Gear bag this year.

18. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    All it will take is for a mature buck to smell ozone and you biff your shot. That buck will associate the smell of ozone with danger. I would use ozone to treat my clothes but to run it in the woods is a mistake IMO. It will only be a matter of time before "ozone" is considered the new "stinky human"

19. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I will dig it up the e-bay item number.

20. TKP030

TKP030 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That can be easier said than done. The plains of North Dakota aren't exactly know for there abundance of tall straight trees. Usually, the tree picks you not you pick the tree and they can be less than perfect haha. Something to make them a little better might be useful.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016