Building a bridge for deer

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by englum_06, Mar 8, 2016.

1. englum_06

englum_06 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Anybody ever build a bridge for deer to use? I have a spot on one of my properties that has a deep ditch, and the best crossing takes the deer out a good 40-50 yards from my nearest stand. What's your guys' thoughts on taking some 2x12s and some posts out there and making a bridge crossing much closer at a narrow spot on the creek? It would also double as much better access for me when crossing the creek. It's in a killer funnel but sometimes they take the farthest crossing and it takes them just out of range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It works but you have to make it sturdy. If it bounces it will scare the deer from using it and avoid it at all cost. The best thing to do is cover it in a thick cover of dirt, to make the deer think it is just ground.

3. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    As holt said, has to look and feel like a natural piece of dirt.

Putting in a culvert and pushing dirt over it will be better if possible.

4. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    How deep and wide is the ditch? If you know where the deer are going, I would probably put up an additional stand or two and not try to redirect the deer movement.

5. Taylor.S

Taylor.S Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wouldn't it be a lot easier to just move your stand, or put up another stand?

6. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Easier to block the further crossing and force them down your way?

7. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Otherwise digging out an entry and exit should be enough. I wouldn't worry about building a bridge. Deer hate walking on wood surfaces. They are uncomfortable every time they come into our deck to eat birdseed. We also have a hiking trail with a planked swamp crossing. The deer walk I the swamp next to the boards, not on them.

8. Dunn County

Dunn County Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Why not just move the stand?

9. J.Mcgee

J.Mcgee Newb

Dislikes Received:
    They better be worried eating off of a bowhunters deck

10. englum_06

Dislikes Received:
    The stand currently where it's at gets me a shot into the edge of my food plot and the "2nd choice" creek crossing. If I move it to cover the primary creek crossing I lose any shot into my food plot.

11. englum_06

Dislikes Received:
    Sure, if you were okay with not having all options covered. There's no way that I can cover both creek crossing and get a shot into my food plot if I switch trees.

12. englum_06

Dislikes Received:
    It's not a big crossing. It's probably 5-6' deep, and 7-8' wide. It's not big but pretty much straight drop offs where I would consider building something. This crossing is where probably 25% of the deer cross at. Having the stand located where it is gets me a shot into my food plot and at this secondary crossing. The primary crossing is about 60yds from my stand. If I moved closer to the primary crossing I lose all my shots into my food plot.

13. englum_06

Dislikes Received:
    This creek is not in the timber, it runs across a pipeline clear cut, so there's not a lot of trees to pick from.

It also wouldn't be only for the deer. I can cross it just fine in the steep part, but when my dad has to climb down into the creek he has a hard time pulling himself back up the other side of the bank, so he has to down to the primary crossing where it's much more shallow.

I was just thinking of throwing a few 2x12s together, attaching some posts across them, and then laying it across the creek. It would work well for a crossing for myself and my dad, and if the deer used it, then that would be a bonus! Just didn't know if anyone had done this specifically for deer.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  14. remmett70

Dislikes Received:
    If its only 5-6 feet deep, you might want to consider renting some equipment like a small backhoe or skid steer and dig the bank down in the narrow spot making your crossing at creek level rather than elevated. Would also make it a more useable water source for the deer.

15. englum_06

Dislikes Received:
    That's a good idea, but it's a gas pipeline so I don't know, legally, if I can dig down on it at all...

16. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Couldn't u just knock down the bank some or kinda make it more of a gradual slope then a straight ditch. If your sure the deer would move through there. We have some pretty nasty ditches and crick banks on farm and the deer cross at a lot of places I wouldn't guess they would. But you can definitely see where they do so I wouldn't think it'd take much. But I guess it would depend on where exactly the gas line was or if you could get away without really digging down but just "smoothing" the area you want them to cross.

Would definitely be bad to hit the line though ha.

17. Taylor.S

Taylor.S Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Block their trail after the crossing with big limbs or hay bales and make it long enough that when they walk around it they will be in range

18. remmett70

Dislikes Received:
    If it is a pipeline my guess is there is some type of easement. And you would probably have the same legal issues in building over it. Just imagine if your bridge fell and did damage.

Taking the banks down or putting in a culvert would be my preference over a bridge.

19. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had a very similar situation, and my solution(that worked like a charm) was to block the other deer crossings as much as possible, and make the one I wanted the deer to use better. I did so by putting five 6' pieces of 16" diameter PVC pipe at the bottom of the ditch, surrounding them with gravel and large rocks, and then digging the banks down on either side and throwing the dirt on top of the pipe(a Bobcat helped with all that!) basically making a land bridge. I even planted ferns and threw fertilized grass seed on it so the roots would help hold the dirt in place. When done it looked totally natural, and the deer began using it almost immediately.