How are your neighbors with your archery?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Bryan Jeffrey, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Bryan Jeffrey

Bryan Jeffrey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How many of you have neighbors that are close enough to care what your doing, and how are they?

The neighbor to my west wants me to kill every coyote that walks down our road, and the neighbors to the right like to come watch, and have beers. I was shooting a little right now, but its snowing. So the neighbor to the east came over and she said she came up with something for me "no rain, no sleet, no snow can keep me away from my bow". hahaha

2. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I get odd looks from some, others have kids that think it is amazing and another that freaks out because their dog gets all excited and tries to get into the yard through the chainlink fence to "get the arrows".

3. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Let me tell you a little story about my neighbors and my archery habits. Once upon a time, when I was very full of myself, and testosterone, I used to shoot 85lbs. I did this routinely from my roof. One day I was out shooting and had the bow drawn back about halfway when the release let go. The arrow headed off into a fairly large group of houses. I stood there for a minute hoping I hadn't killed anyone. Then I slowly oozed down off the roof and went into the house and put my bow away. I waited for a knock on the door or a phone call that never came. I counted my lucky stars and went and bought a new release. To this day, I still don't know where that arrow went and I DIDN'T ask around the neighborhood about it.

Blessings........Pastorjim

4. Bryan Jeffrey

Dislikes Received:
    I love when people walk down the road with there kids. There are a lot of houses around here that are rented to vacationers. One day some girl about 12 came up and was just completely amazed by it. I talked with her dad who had been wanting to get her a bow for some time, but didnt know what to look for. I told him what to look for and pricing. He was very happy to hear the info and prices. I also directed him to my favorite archery shop that is down at the bottom of the mountain. I hope i got a couple more people into archery that day!

5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My neighbors are not close enough to care if I shoot but they would prefer that I didn't shoot the beautiful deer.

6. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Not allowed to shoot in my yard. So I shoot in the basement. 16.5 yards wall to wall is all I can get

7. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Neighbors don't have any issues with my multiple archery targets but one doesn't care for the 300 yard rifle range.

8. Bryan Jeffrey

Dislikes Received:
    WOW! that is scary! the properties around here are just split by a 4' chain link fence. the people who own the property behind me asked me not to shoot when they are up here. and thats cool. they only come up for a weekend every couple months. but i used to just shoot at my target with no backstop. I have had friends come shoot and miss the target a few times. we usually hop the fence and grab the arrows they miss and continue(the property is a hill that catches arrows). We couldnt find a arrow one day and kinda said no biggy. well they came up a few months later, and when he mowed his lawn. he got to powderize some carbon and wasnt happy. Now I have a 1/2" thick high density rubber 4'X4' sheet hanging on the fence.

9. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Development rules or wife rules?

10. smitty88

smitty88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I live in a neighborhood that sounds similar to yours Bryan and I haven't had anybody say anything to me, yet. I've lived here a couple years and everybody seems cool about it but I keep waiting for someone to show up with one of my arrows that I've lost. I have a decent hill at the back of my property to shoot into, but the neighborhood kids have started to play in the trees that are there. I just don't shoot when they are out there, but they also only play there when its nice weather which is also when I want to shoot my bow. I told my wife that I don't care where we move next as long as I have a good place to shoot my bow.

11. Lung Buster

Lung Buster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    No close neighbors for me!! I have 100 acres of state land on one side and five acres between me and my parents house!! Not too many people giving me weird looks!! Lol!

12. Ryan A

Ryan A Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No neighbors within a half-mile of me. Perks of living in the country!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    They give me looks sometimes, but never say anything to me. One neighbor said, "If anything ever goes down, I know whose door to knock on." I think they are afraid to since I am always carrying either my bow, pistol and various other weapons in and out of the house.

14. happyhunter

happyhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot at the end of a dead end road. Houses on both sides all the way out to 80 yards. But nothing but pasture beyond the target. Some of the neighbors like to watch the lighted nocks fly.... If there are kids about, I don't shoot over 30 yards, if at all. I do not want my neighbors to have anything to be concerned about.

15. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

"Nothing to be concerned about" hh????????

Have you looked in the mirror lately? We all know why the neighbors take their kids inside when ever you are "out there!"

16. happyhunter

happyhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Don't hate because I'm beautiful.

17. Daryl Bell

Daryl Bell Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My neighbor watches me over the fence and drinks beer. He even asked if I would shoot the armadillo that's digging up his flower bed :tu:

18. Jeremy/PA

Jeremy/PA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a pretty sweet set up in the yard with my neighbor. I can shoot almost 30 yards in the back of the house, but my neighbor has a ladderstand set up and has a 3D target that I can shoot too.

19. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    For the first time since High School, I'll be able to shoot at my house in about a month.

We are closing on a new place in early April that has a decent sized lot and plenty of room to shoot. I should be able to easily get 80 yards in the back yard, plus have a porch I'll be able to shoot off of as well for treestand practice. I'll actually have a walkout basement from the mancave where I'll be setting up my shop, so I'll be able to grab the bow, take a couple steps, and shoot to 80 yards off the back patio.

Pretty sure the neighbors will never know, but they can't say much about it even if they did. Can't wait!!

20. airenlow

airenlow Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My neighbors haven't said anything yet. I won't shoot when kids or dogs are out playing, but I threaten to a lot. My setup is small, at about 17 yards. A 5 foot hill and 30 acre field separate me from the church behind the house. Yard deer might be in trouble this season...
    WGI_0010.jpg