Best release?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by successful failure, Feb 25, 2016.

1. successful failure

successful failure Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was looking into buying a new release today and wanted to get some opinions...what's the best release and why? I'm leaning toward a thumb release. Thanks for the help

2. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I only hunt and I prefer a wrist strap release. I've shot a LOT of releases and have settled on the Carter Quickie. I still keep on trying new releases but for the past 7 or 8 years it been the Quickie.

3. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use to shoot a wrist release. Just wasn't comfortable for me. I now shoot a Carter Insatiable 2+. It is a thumb release. I don't do any 3D shoots anymore just hunting and target practice.
    I did shoot a SCOTT caliper release before going to the Carter. They are both good releases.

4. TKP030

TKP030 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I enjoy my true fire hardcore 4 finger but could be biased only one I've owned. started using it this summer and gave away my hardcore wrist strap, won't be going back to those!!

5. Jeremy/PA

Jeremy/PA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I really like the Spot Hogg Wiseguy.

My groups tightened significantly when I switched to it. It has a nice trigger, goes off very smooth. I also like it because it is a hook style release.

SPOT HOGG » RELEASES

6. Rangerdan

Rangerdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My suggestion is to try as many releases as possible. For hunting scenarios, I use a Scott mongoose XT single caliper release, but indoor and 3D, I use a Carter Evolution. Best training release I've ever used. The key is to train for a surprise shot. Thumb style releases are misused more often than not. If you want to shoot handheld, my advice is to start with back tension style release first and work your way up to a thumb trigger style release. If you're going with back tension or handhelds, go Carter! Its worth every penny.

7. OH11

OH11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree to try a lot of different ones as well. I made the switch to the true fire hardcore 4 finger release last year and am not going back to a wrist strap. I just feel it has improved my accuracy and helped me keep proper form. There are tons of options though so there will be one that's perfect for you.

8. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    scott little goose has worked very well for me. agree with the above to try many to find what works best for you.

9. Shane0709

Shane0709 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Tru fire hardcore max wrist strap is the best all around release on the market IMO

10. 18andrew

18andrew Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Scotty little goose works great

11. MAD 6

MAD 6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Go with a thumb release, they are the best and you don't have to have the release strapped to your wrist. A good priced 4 Finger release is a Vapor Hot Shot, can be had for around $75.
    i mentioned this in the other thread already but stay away from the Spott Hog Wiseguy if you have longer fingers, I bought one before trying it and it's only good for guys with short stubby fingers.

if you really want a wrist release go with one that has a 360 degree swivel head - the Scott Mongoose XT is quite good.

12. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I just got a Scott Mongoose and really like it. I've always used wrist strap releases and haven't tried a thumb release yet.

13. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Best release for what? Competitive archery? Hunting?

I don't think there is a best release. People will have different opinions regarding what works best for them.

Ive been using a relatively cheap Tru Fire wrist strap release for about 10 years. I couldn't tell you want model it is. Nothing fancy but that's all I need for hunting.

14. MAD 6

MAD 6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just got done shootin' a bunch of arrows - half with my Scott Thumb release, half with my Mongoose wrist and I have to admit they are both excellent shooters. The only problem I have with the wrist release is that I'm always banging my bow, its clanks off the riser and this could be a problem while hunting. A hinge for fold back is a must on wrist straps.

15. successful failure

successful failure Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I will be using it for hunting. I currently shoot a tru fire patriot which is probably the cheapest real ease you can buy, I bought it for 20$ at academy a year ago. I shoot ok with it but was just looking to upgrade.

16. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    As I said, I've shot a lot of releases and for hunting I like a wrist strap. The Carter Quickie that I shoot is expensive but I can really feel the difference in the polished precision of the release. It is a hook release which to me is a lot better than any other and did tighten my groups a lot, consistently. The precision difference is like shooting a factory rifle trigger vs a polished Jewel trigger.

17. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I love my Tru Fire Hardcore Max. I also have the Four finger...it nice as well.

Sent from my SM-S820L

18. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What are you basing this off of? Have you shot others? Even if you only considered wrist releases of the same style there are multiple that are above and beyond.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot a Tru Fire 360. Smooth release and comfortable the wrist. I like the buckle better cause you get the same tightness all the time. I used to have a velcro wrap release and I just didn't get the same fit every time. This one folds back too so you can keep it out of the way to do other things and don't clank it around.

360 Buckle Foldback - Tru-Fire Releases