Tips For Gaining Hunting Permission

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by 18andrew, Feb 21, 2016.

1. 18andrew

18andrew Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What are some ways you go about gaining permission to hunt a new property? I know the basic help out with yard work and share the meat of the animal you harvest but I still get told no probably 90% of the time.

2. Woods

Woods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Liability is probably a huge fear. If you're not already doing this you could say you'll sign a liability waiver (which you'll provide) and hunt with safe climbing gear. Other than that the reduce car/deer collisions in the area, reduce lymes disease spread, prevent tree/shrub damage lines could help if you're not already saying them.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  3. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If you are only being told no 90% of the time you are doing extremely well and just keep doing what your doing!

4. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hunting land is valuable and lots of people think their land is worth the sun, moon and the stars. With all of the lawsuits for getting a paper cut to having a hang nail, many people are nervous about everything. Keep on knocking on doors, talking to folks in town and being a good neighbor. Ask around, you know, to people that know you especially and ask them if they have an aunt and uncle or a cousin or if they have a friend that would consider letting you hunt their property. If someone that knows you will recommend you, that makes it easier too.

5. airenlow

airenlow Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed! I've talked to roughly 500 landowners in the last 3 years and have 4 small properties to hunt now. Gotta keep at it...

6. happyhunter

happyhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I take my dad..... He just has a knack.

7. illinibowhunter

illinibowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I try to build personal relationships and that makes it easier to gain access.

8. blueicefire

blueicefire Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think I have sent out like 40 letters and received about 7 call backs and now have 2 properties to hunt. Still banging out letters!!!

9. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That is awesome! Never thought of doing that. Good luck!

10. 18andrew

18andrew Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I thought about letters but I figured a firm handshake and face to face talk would help out more than a letter. But hell if it's working for you I'll try it!

11. blueicefire

Dislikes Received:
    My letter is kinda like a resume of sorts, the issue I heard of is that just talking with them by going to their door can put people off. Especially if they are non-hunters.

Basically, the letters start with an idea of what I plan on doing, my background and history, then about my family and then I request a response via the self-addressed stamped envelope I give them or a call or email. I also ask for meeting in person if they are more comfortable that way.

It's worked so far, I'll keep it up though and see what happens till I can buy my own land.

12. buckshank

buckshank Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As weird as people get with face to face conversation these days I have been doing the same, but reputation goes a long ways so going with friends and family is almost a must unfortunately. Pretty sad because you never know when we may need to count on one another for help and/or favors with random people. I would get a county plot map and map out the properties you're interested in and ask friends or family and church members if they know these people and could possibly do a solid and put a word in for you

13. sethf11

sethf11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Tips to gaining hunting permission

Go shake hands and don't be afraid of people!!!!!!
    People aren't bad. They may say no but they will be nice and respect you. I have asked at about 20-25 places and I landed a 500 acre dairy farm by knocking on doors. Do your research with the tax maps. Look at maps and land. Last year I got 1 place to hunt out of the 20 or so that I asked at. You will get a lot more no then yes answers. But plenty of them told me "Come back and ask next year"

I go and shake a hand, introduce myself and talk about myself for a bit. I explain to them my ethics as well as well as how I respect the land.

Do not be afraid to knock on doors. I killed a buck on the farm I have and I brought the farmer some meat a few days later. Gave him a thank you card. I send him gift cards now and again as a nice gesture.

You have to use the gift of gab and use communication skills.

Clean and wash your truck, dress nice when you go (polo shirt and clean pants). You need to look respectable.

Do not lie! Do not BS. These farmers will peg you in a second if you are full of crap.
    Learn how to read people and keep knocking on doors.

I'm going to start in like April this year.

Here are the bulletins in a nutshell. I'm no expert though.

Start out with....

Sorry to bother you today and thanks for taking time to talk to me. My name is (use first and last name). I got your information from xxxxxxxx and was wondering if you allow hunting on your property.

-always have a waiver form and permission form with you.

-let them know you Will repair any damage you cause

-bring a business cards with contact information (make one if you don't have one)

-offer help

- always ask for the "privilege" of hunting your land

-state you are Bowhunting, people don't like guns going off and bullets whizzing around.

- tell them you will take does for meat

-respect land (won't drive or tear it up, no garbage)

-half of harvest (or whatever amount) will be offered in exchange

-explain how Very safe you are

-just keep talking. Don't simply ask a "yes or no" questions.

-instead of asking "can I hunt your proprerty" , ask "I was wondering if you allow the privilege of hunting on your property"

Just some tips I use. Best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  14. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    assume every no is a temporary no and try to leave them as a friend. then check back next year, be polite and eventually if they are going to let someone hunt it just might be you.

15. blueicefire

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed Rick.. I'll ask again next year as some of them were answers of yes we allow hunting but already have our land full.

16. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Polite persistence. Don't be a pecker gnat that won't go away but try to keep the door open a crack. I've been told no to hunting and yes to shed hunting/mushroom hunting in the same conversation. After 3 years of observing my respect for the property and my gratitude, a.k.a. (5 lbs. of morels, deer meat, and a Honey baked Ham for Christmas) the landowner granted me rights to hunt. I always left the property as good or Better than when I found it.

17. preachnhunt

preachnhunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Allowing people to hunt is about trust. When they know and trust you,properties can magically open up. Join a church,hang out at the local diner, serve on the chamber of commerce,coach a little league team, build a Habitat house etc. When they get to know you and see that you are not only a bowhunter but also a decent productive citizen you will gain an edge.