ND Deer Hunt or CO Elk Hunt? Need help!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Dylan Keehn, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Dylan Keehn

Dylan Keehn Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys,
    I am in quite the predicament here. I was offered to go along on a week long archery whitetail and mule deer (if we draw tags) hunt on 1500 acres of prime land (thats what im told) in North Dakota. We would be going for the season opener on Sep. 2 and staying for the week. The land we would be hunting will cost us each $400, along with $100 to stay at the landowners house. Between the rest of the tags, gas, and food, its going to cost me about $800.

Now, I was also offered to go on a 2nd season Colorado rifle elk hunt. The guys I would be going with have been doing it for years and years and usually come back with some pretty decent bulls. They do it all back country style.....camp in wall tents, public land, etc. With my non-resident tag and cut of gas it would almost be the same price as the North Dakota hunt...

Obviously I wish i could do both but it just wont work this year so I need to make up my mind and decide what I want to do. Keep in mind I am from Wisconsin and have never seen the Colorado mountains, but I would also love the chance to shoot a big velvet deer! I would love some feedback from guys who have done either of the hunts above and let me know which one you would choose and why...Thanks!!

2. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    congratulations on a great dilemma most of us would like to have. which can you hunt more on a regular basis, deer or elk? While I prefer to bow hunt whenever possible, if my opportunity to elk hunt was much more rare, then I'd probably opt for that. have a great hunt whichever you go with.

3. Pastor Scotty

Pastor Scotty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Dylan:
    There are two major questions you need to ask.
    1. Where in NoDak is this lease. In many parts of the the state the deer census is way down. I have not drawn a tag in TWO YEARS! You might shell out $400 dollars and never see a deer. Plus many parts of NoDak has no place for a self claiming stand, thus you will have to have set up stands or a hunting blind. Lastly bow hunting in NoDak is more than a week long project. The wind could blow from the wrong direction and you will never get in the stand or worse never see a deer.
    2. How old ar you. Elk hunting is a young man's sport. I would do it while I still could, and am not sure that I could do it now chemo and all. I WOULD GO ELK HINTING WITH MY WIN MAG 300.
    PSR

4. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have hunted the early season for velvet bucks in North Dakota and it can be very hit or miss. If the bucks come out of velvet right before the season they turn nocturnal usually for a while. Weather can really be tough if it is very hot. I know it would be cool to shoot a velvet buck but for me it wouldn't be close I would be heading to Colorado. Good luck with whatever you decide.

5. pernat

pernat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have been to Colorado two times for archery elk and would never pass up a third no matter what weapon i am using. I would go for Colorado!! The sites and experience is well worth it.

6. TKP030

TKP030 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Where in ND are you going for the deer hunt? I know like said above the numbers were down but seem to be making a slow come back with the light winters. I haven't been drawn for a rifle tag in 5 years due to that and that's with putting doe as second choice but out of state archery is over the counter i believe.

7. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wish I had your problem! Having hunted both Mulies and Whitetails as well as elk, it is a no brainer to me. This year hunt elk in Colorado. If ND has a point system for drawing tags, apply to build you points but defer for another year and increase future draw points to draw a better ND tag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would choose the Colorado elk hunt especially if that is not an animal you will often have the opportunity to go after

9. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The mountains are calling and you must go.

100% Elk.

10. victoryhunter

victoryhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have to agree with the others, back country elk all the way!

11. Dylan Keehn

Dylan Keehn Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for all the feedback guys. In ND we would have 1500 acres to hunt between 3 guys just southwest of Bismark and just north of Flasher. My connection to the hunt works out there all the time and travels all over the state and claims this is prime land and is home to a lot of big whitetails along with muleys...(again, this is taking someones word for it).

I am leaning towards Colorado. Never being to the mountains and just seeing the sights would be worth it to me, and an elk would be a BIG bonus! I am 19 years old so there is no physical issues with elk hunting...Decisions, decisions!

12. TheChurchArchers

TheChurchArchers Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Go for elk!! You can hunt whitetail and mules another time lol a pretty much proven chance at a nice bull that's what I'd be after.

13. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'd be headed to the Rockies.

14. illinibowhunter

illinibowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I vote elk hunting no questions asked

15. Dylan Keehn

Dylan Keehn Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I made the decision last night...looks like I will be headed to the mountains this fall!! I cant wait! The only drawback is that we're going during the peak of the whitetail rut here in Wisconsin, but I think it will definitely still be worth it to go to CO.

16. Dylan Keehn

Dylan Keehn Newb

Dislikes Received:
    For anyone wondering....we will be hunting near Kremmling, Colorado.

17. bz_711

bz_711 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    There is no comparison - go Elk hunting...but only if you are prepared to become an elkoholic and potentially return to the elk mountains ever fall...BE CAREFUL, THE ELK MOUNTAINS ARE MAGICAL!