What you're doing now, to make next season great!?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Sound Barrier, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Sound Barrier

Sound Barrier Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What are some things you guys do in the offseason, to help make next hunting season a great one? Improvements? practice? Here are some thoughts of mine, want to know what you guys are doing!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. BuffaloBill

BuffaloBill Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I upgraded my sight and rest. I'm working on getting my bow dialed in. It's shooting pretty good at 20 yards. It might be warm enough to shoot outside this weekend. Need to stretch out the distance to get the right tape for my sight. I bought a few more arrows and got some new broadheads to try. I may also try some shed hunting this weekend. Last season I did not get in the woods nearly enough to be successful. So i'm most likely going to do some public land hunting because the only private land that I have permission to hunt is about a three hour drive. I have a week of vacation the week of Halloween. So something is going to die.

3. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Lots of planning for plots, crops and farm and equipment improvements. I'm confident enough that I can kill a deer if it gets within range

4. SheddingLightTravis

SheddingLightTravis Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Resting. I hit the later part of deer season harder than I ever had before this year. Turkey season starts in April. So I like to just take a few weeks and breathe. I spend time with my wife and kids. My wife doesn't see that wayward look in my eye that says "I really want yo hunt". She sees that Sept-Jan. Not that I'm a terrible husband sept-Jan but I spend a lot of hours in the woods. That might sound sissy-like but it's good just to relax a bit before the next season starts. End of March I will probably hang some stands and start practicing again on my turkey calls. And right now I do a lot of reading and studying in my free time.

5. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Getting in better shape. Near daily 4-7mi hikes most with at least a 40# pack. When I can, I make these scouting trips to areas I've not been.

I've lost nearly 20# since Christmas. Some strength training (hopefully) soon.

6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Just watching and waiting, getting about ready to get some seed down for frost seeding.

7. illinibowhunter

illinibowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I need to make a better effort to shoot my bow more often so that I feel even more comfortable come hunting season.

8. elange_11

elange_11 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Upgraded some to better arrows and making a feeder for deer... Also gonna try to put a salt block out and make some beds

9. killer chill-r

killer chill-r Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just practicing. Shooting a lot. Switching to fixed blades so trying to tune my bows for the new heads.

10. FLO

FLO Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am shooting a lot to try and get better and make sure when the time comes I can hit my spot. Sure is fun.

11. Obsessedarcher21

Obsessedarcher21 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm starting to scout new places branch out from the places I'm comfortable with due to lack of day time movement from the deer over the past couple years also shoot more from my tree stand a completely different ball game shooting downward and going to make sure my sight stays tight so I don't shoot over a big bucks back again on the last day lol

12. Lung Buster

Lung Buster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Continue shooting my bow 4-5 times a week!! I am freshening up mineral sites once a month. I have been doing some scouting and moving stands and trimming lanes!!

13. Sound Barrier

Dislikes Received:
    Good plan Buffalo Bill! I'm heading to some public tomorrow to find some new spots and trim stand locations! good luck in your shed search!

14. Sound Barrier

Dislikes Received:
    Happy wife= happy wife brother! Keeping priorities and family ahead of hunting is important! Great advice!

15. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Scouting...will be at scouting day 4 and 5 by Monday. I need about 15 days to scout this year to be where I want. I also took off the peep sight on my bow. I used to hunt without one for many years but used one the past couple of years. I just don't like them at all.

16. Sound Barrier

Dislikes Received:

congrats, thats an accomplishment! I've found its easier to get to your goal level with hard work, then maintain. Really hard if you yo-yo. Good luck and keep at it!

17. Sound Barrier

Dislikes Received:
    Amen! I've found that I have to shoot with different clothing, it seems that the further I get into season, the worse I shoot due to this and less practice time when I'm hunting. Always important to stay up on practice all times of year!

18. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I started just logging some miles a day walking generally...quickly added a pack with weight. Each week add a bit more weight and more miles.

[​IMG]

Lately I've been cleaning up the diet. Appropriate portion sizing and making better choices is dropping the calories in (less junk, sugar, grains and high GI carbs).
    [​IMG]

I've got about 55# in the pack now and am logging 35+ miles a week.

I'm jogging some and plan to do more (to build endurance) and using the pack more for variety and keeping the strength up. Soon additional exercises, weight/resistance training.

Clothes are fitting looser/better, but still, just over 200#.

19. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Chipping away at the Honey Do list, until it's a Honey Done list, and looking for more and better places to hunt.

20. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    satisfied with my gear as it is so not getting anything new. shooting 4-5 times a week with broadheads trying to stretch my range for this fall.