Signage & Purple Paint No Trespassing Laws

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Blacktail Slayer, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Blacktail Slayer

Blacktail Slayer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2022
  2. c e w

c e w Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    In Texas that has been the law for a while. A friend that worked for forest service told me about this.

3. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Seeing as America will soon be "press 2 for English" this is probably a good way to go.

4. Woods

Woods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree I think all states should do it so everyone is aware of the law. I never heard of this and wouldn't have known what the purple was for if I was down in Texas (although I would have seen it in the regs book but i'm sure lots of people wouldn't bother reading it). I know of people with the problem of getting their signs ripped down and hear about the headache it causes.

5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am for it. Except for obvious reasons I hate the color purple.:sad:

6. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Things are what they are but I believe it to be a pretty fascinating circumstance that if a person doesn't know who owns the ground (and therefore have permission) or does not own it themselves, that it would be a logical jump to "it must be okay for me to just go wherever I please".

7. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Come to think of it those trees around my favorite public hunt area could use some purple paint....:lol:

8. DriveTacks

DriveTacks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Come check out Vermont, If its not posted it is legally open to the public... And it must be legally posted (legal distance between signs, corners marked correctly, registered with the town as posted property -$5 annual) and even then getting the state to follow through with pressing charges is nearly impossible. In the end everyone just thinks you're a D*ck for posting your land and trespasses anyway if you're not close enough to monitor the property. It seems like less D-bags hunt your property if it isn't posted.

9. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Haha, yeah I hear ya. Property here is technically supposed to be posted before you have a strong case for pressing charges for trespassing as well. I know those are the "rules", I just find it amazing that people would be willing to just go where they please without regard to ownership no matter what the rules are.
    10/4 on being considered a johnson for posting land. I've had a well earned reputation here for two decades, lol.

10. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Same law applies here in NC. We us both.

11. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That should be the UNIVERSAL sign for no trespassing throughout the country. That way maybe we can get away from the "I didn't see any signs" excuse.

12. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    It doesn't make much difference, I have all of mine posted and have purple paint, every time I catch a trespasser they still say...oh I thought I was on (insert random name here) 's property, I didn't see any signs. They had to have walked within 15-20' of either a sign or purple pain and cross a fence in order to get on the property, lol.

13. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I couldn't imagine with as much land as you keep track of the trouble you have. We have just a little spot but the ex-cons across the street seem to be the only problem we have so far.

14. patinthehat

patinthehat Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Growing up in Arkansas, this was the law. Every summer, my dad would hand me a brush, a few gallons of purple paint, and say get to it. Takes awhile to go do 200 acres, especially when you're 10 lol.

15. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    I'm sure I don't catch the vast majority that pass through, had a trail cam stolen last mushroom season but I've never gotten any on the cameras so far other than one drive in three years ago. I did catch the mushroom hunters that got my camera the day they got the camera and didn't realize they had gotten the camera, lol. I was waiting for them by their car, turned to walk back to my semi parked up the road and they got to their car while I was walking away so I didn't see the camera (probably had it stuffed in their shirt anyway). I catch a lot of dogs on camera running through but not a lot of people. Word gets out after a while and with all the signs and paint I think most figure it just isn't worth the trouble but there are always a few.