What would you pay?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Innovative Outdoorsman, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Innovative Outdoorsman

Innovative Outdoorsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This might seem like an unusual request but Im looking to bowhunters for input on a new product launch and Im coming directly to bowhunters since that is who this product will be marketed to. Im looking to the internet bowhunting community for assistance in setting a price point for a product. I understand the inherent risks in asking bowhunters to suggest a price since the obvious answer will be $1 or some other very low dollar amount since nobody wants to pay much for anything and I expect there will be those that say “send me one for free and I will try it out for you and let you know” (sorry)

Most of us have limited funds to spend on bowhunting gear we take to the field with us and everything has a price point the market will bear and we need to establish a price point for this new launch. Its one of the final steps before we launch.

We have not launched our web site so Im not seeking page hits or likes or trying to direct you to a web site. In fact we are still awaiting our patent status from the US patent office which is prohibiting public disclosures beyond what Im about to detail here. Im going to simply describe the product, its features and benefits to bowhunters and I’m looking to members here to give a suggested price point for a product that does what Im about to describe.

We know our production costs and shipping costs and we could certainly set an arbitrary price but if bowhunters are not willing to pay that, it is a wasted effort so Im looking to see what bowhunters of varied financial status have to say. If after reading this, you determine this is a product you would have zero use for, (and I understand there will be those that wont want or need such a product), then I would ask that you either suggest a price point or simply click away to another thread.

Read through it and suggest a price point. Here is the breakdown.

Bowhunters! Have you ever been caught without your bow in your hand by a game animal that appeared out of nowhere?

Did you get busted reaching for your bow?

Did you grab your bow too soon and now you have the arm shakes because you lost the waiting game?

Have you ever hit your limb on your bow hanger?

Do you hate being separated from your bow while using your cell phone, rattling antlers, Binos, turkey calls, decoys??

Are you looking for a bowhunting bow holster to address these issues?

Would like a wearable bow holder that

keeps your bow in the ready, upright position

Has to have 2 points of contact to your bow

Allows for hands free operation or minimal hands on usage

Does not interfere with the draw cycle

Works both standing and sitting and walking (spot and stalk)

Allows you to remove your bow without taking their eye of the game animal

Works with every brand of bow on the market

Fits every hunter regardless if you’re a 6 ft 4” man or a 4 ft 6” woman or a youth hunter

Is quiet, easy to use and light weight

Will not interfere with your fall arrest harness

If so, what would you suggest as a price point??? I understand this may not be enough info to formulate a response.

Thank you for your help. When we launch we will do a launch announcement and give-away here.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  2. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    While I definitely would give you that proverbial dollar and would be more than happy to give you a totally unbiased opinion if you sent me one for free..........................

the way your line of questioning structured my focus and interest, I would put that in the $24.99 to $49.99 range.

3. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I might go $30-35 if it was a quality built product. $20-25 would be ideal.

4. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Without being able to see it. I'm thinking maybe $20. I've not had a problem with grabbing my bow when a deer shows, and harness, bino's, a call I don't think I would really want to wear something else.

5. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I cant really give a price point without seeing atleast a picture of it. That way we can get an idea of what type of materials were used to make it etc. For all I know the product is made out of high quality stuff that costs $40.00 just for the materials. Once we know that they we can get a better idea by adding in manufacturing etc.

6. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'll try just about anything for 15-25 bucks if it looks useful and is not priced way out of line. Ex. a 20 dollar crankbait...will not get purchased by me as there are many from 5-10 that I trust. Above that price point, I need to have a need or desire to really have.
    Based on the questions and comments, this device might be useful.

Looking forward to see what the new product looks like. Best of luck to you.

7. Innovative Outdoorsman

Dislikes Received:
    Understandable. I hoped to enlist responses based solely on a description alone based on the features. Pictures have to wait until I hear back from the US Patent office as that is a specific disclosure.

8. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    First off, it depends on if it actually has a use in the field.

Second, you shouldn't be asking for a price without a better idea of what the product is. Let the quality determine the price, not the other way around.

"Build it and they will come"

9. Innovative Outdoorsman

Dislikes Received:
    I understand. I could slap a price tag on it only to find the market wont support the price and then be forced to revise the price. I thought it might be refreshing to have end users assist in price setting.

10. Freelance Bowhunter

Freelance Bowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Typical MSRP is five times your cost.

If it costs you $4.00 then the retail is $20. If it costs to $20 to make, you will go broke because not enough people will buy it for $120.

What does it cost you to produce and package?

11. Innovative Outdoorsman

Dislikes Received:
    While that is one way to go about it, I thought this a worthwhile excersise. We came up with a price point based on time and materials and I hoped to see if we were in the ball park before we launch.

12. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Was I close?

13. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Some good thoughts above. Sub $50. Below $30 it starts becoming competitive with bow holders.

One additional consideration, if there is another application besides a bow holder, even with minor mods, you may be able to target other markets or a bigger market.

14. Wisconsin Buckwatch

Wisconsin Buckwatch Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I usually use a broken branch or a 5 dollar screw in mini step. If ur product does what u say maybe 15 bucks after seeing and hearing about it. Goodluck

15. Blacktail Slayer

Blacktail Slayer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2022
  16. Innovative Outdoorsman

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the reply. Just to clear things up this his a bow holster for an "at rest" weapon and is not and cannot be used as a steadying aid or aiming aid at full draw. It would not function with a drawn bow. It would be a replacement or screw in, clamp on or ground installed bow holders for the hunting archer to use to hold his bow.

17. Riverduck11

Riverduck11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would pay up to $20 for what you described.

18. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Based on the description only I could see some people buying it for under the $50.00 mark. I personally wouldn't based on what I know at this point. A lot of hunters are trying to go lighter and lighter as far as how much gear they have so I'd be curious to know what this product weighs as well. My screw in tree hook or bow holder that attaches to my stand work fine so it would have to be something pretty awesome to get me to consider it.

19. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't find a need for such an apparatus, however if it were to prove useful and would get positive reviews I may take a look. For an accessory I wouldn't expect more than 20 dollars for it.

20. Innovative Outdoorsman

Dislikes Received:
    2 Oz.