Burn it down!!!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Jrob140, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Jrob140

Jrob140 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Two things I want to really make sure I do during this offseason is to make sure I improve already existing food plots, and plant a few hidey hole or poor mans food plots in timber gaps between bedding areas. There is a large creek separating half the property I hunt, so using a tractor isnt going to work so from what I've read spraying and burning is the next best option. I've never burned a plot before especially one located in the middle of the woods on property I do not own. So obviously the last thing I want to do is to try and create a small food plot to shoot monster bucks and end up in prison for burning the entire property to the ground. Is there something you do in order to keep it from getting out of hand, or a better safer way of going about this? I really don't know much about it so really anything helps! Thanks!

2. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's kind of rough and risky business. You can use a leaf blower to help clean a perimeter around the area you want to burn and try to catch it damp enough that you can control it with a wet blanket if the crap you want to burn isn't too thick and tall. If the fuel load is really heavy (which I kind of doubt) then I'd leave it alone. Heavy being defined as similar to native warm season grass...7-8' tall and dense. I'm imagining what's there is probably leaf litter and woody stemmed understory like buckbrush or similar? If thats the case you can probably do it okay but I'd advise having someone with you that's experienced burning. Fire is nothing to play with or take lightly for inexperienced newbs. The phrase "playing with fire" comes to mind.

3. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Take advantage of the creek. If you are going to burn, have a pump and hose setup from the creek to control the burn. And you can also use it to establish your plot so you are not as dependent on mother nature for rain to get your seed germinated.

4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Build a box, rake a ring around what you want to burn then light the side opposite the direction the wind is blowing back the flames into the wind it will consume and convert to ash more than if the wind is pushing it.

5. bigfootcali

bigfootcali Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I like this^^^^^^ just don't go for the big box....

6. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    just get a leaf rake and a tarp to put the leaves on to haul them out and get raking.

7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    We call that over achievement.:lol:

8. Hoytxhunter

Hoytxhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You might try clearing the area with a weed eater the best you can. Clear out all you can with a rake and cutting small saplings. Then get a roll of heavy black plastic and anchor it down in place where you want to be cleared. This has to be done in the summer when the temps are in the 90s. Leave it in place for like 3 weeks or so. This will kill anything that was growing there even about all the seeds in the ground as long as the temps are high enough. Then just break up the top soil and seed it up. I would try a non burning tactic before you start a fire in a place that you can't even get a tractor to. Thats just my 2 cents coming from a firefighter. If anything its another tool in the box depending on how soon you want to have the plot started. Either way I hope you bring in the big ones. Good luck.