Firstlite sanctuary and temps in the mid 20s

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Mckaax, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Mckaax

Mckaax Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What is your layering system with temps in the lower 20s with the sanctuary suit

2. cg2737

cg2737 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I only have the jacket. I wear a FL Llano or QZ with a Halstead fleece under it. I love that jacket. I need to get the bibs at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Mckaax

Mckaax Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That keeps you warm down in the 20s?

4. Matt/TN

Matt/TN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I honestly don't think it matters what you wear under the sanctuary bibs and jacket. They are unbelievably warm. I usually wear Llano top and bottom. A medium weight synthetic fleece base and an EXP weight merino. If it's really cold, I'll wear my puffy under my sanctuary. You're not getting cold in that. The last day of season here was in the high teens with 20mph winds and I didn't get cold. I get cold pretty easy too

5. cg2737

cg2737 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I guess the 20s are relative to where you live. I prefer the 20s here in NY to the 30s or even 40s. When it is below freezing there is not so much moisture in the air. But like Matt said, you could probably wear a T-shirt under it and not be cold in the 20s. Awesome product. We only had one really cold week during bow season and it was in the low teens. I was not cold for a minute. On the bottom I was wearing my Sitka Stratus bibs with alleghenies underneath. Kenetrek PAC boot with merino socks. Sitka Incinerator hat.

6. dwitt2n

dwitt2n Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm from Wisconsin and 20's can seem pretty balmy at times. I use merino wool, alpaca socks and Berber fleece topped by the Sanctuary vest, coat and bibs. They are amazing for long sits. I recommend (I'm sure you do this already) packing in the coat and bibs and putting them on when you get to your stand. I use foot spray to help keep my feet dry and always -always use a muff. I especially like the bibs because I can put them in a stuff sack, a bit bigger than the size of the Jacket when its in its stuff sack. Good hunting and be safe........Dave.....

7. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Did everyone who commented here buy there Firstlite at full price? I just emailed them asking what they recommend for MI mid season and it seems like the guy just told me to buy the two most expensive pieces of clothing they sell. I know it is probably worth it but close to $600 for bibs and a coat?

8. Matt/TN

Matt/TN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I purchased mine when they were closing out of the Realtree pattern at 40% off.

That being said, I wouldn't have paid full price then for the stuff but I would now that I have owned iy

9. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Firstlite has always intrigued me....anything with that high of a price tag must be of the highest quality. I don't know many that use it, due to the price...but of those I know NONE speak a bad thing about it at all.

10. No.6Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have 2 chama hoodies and some merino gloves but didn't pay full price for any of it.

Losing weight and having expensive taste is a very bad thing, my UA camo fits like a muumuu now and I want something that actually fits. Maybe I will have to wait for a holiday sale..

11. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've slowly built up a large collection of Scentlok and for the most part have been VERY pleased for the price of stuff and performance. I do think about getting Firstlite bibs and jacket though only for the extreme cold hunts...or at least grabbing a Puffy.

12. No.6Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    Does anybody just wear the bibs and a few layers on top instead of bib and coat?

Trying to figure what I should buy first if I can't purchase both a coat and bibs this season. Thanks

13. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    LOVE my FL ;)