Favorite Video Style

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by SheddingLightTravis, Jan 30, 2016.

1. SheddingLightTravis

SheddingLightTravis Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    There's a million different hunting shows all over the tv and Internet. What's your favorite type of hunting show? Do you like archery over gun hunts? How do you feel about crazy music in the background? What are the key elements that makes up a good video in your mind?

I ask because this past year 2 of my buddies and I created a hunting group called Shedding Light Outdoors. We love filming our hunts. In fact I'm in the stand right now with my buddy above me filming (well I hope he's not currently filming me on my smartphone!) I do the video editing and I'm curious as to what most guys like about hunting videos. I personally prefer the "Primos style". Very realistic and not a lot of bells and whistles.

What are your favorite hunting clips and what makes them your favorite? Thanks!

2. illinibowhunter

illinibowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am not big on rifle hunts. I prefer watching bow hunts.

One thing that ticks me off is when you're watching the show and you dedicate the half hour to watching this story and then the guy finally shoots one and they do not show the deer go down.

We all know that is one of the most exciting moments of the hunt to see those legs start to wobble.

If you overlay the hunt with music have something that is pleasant but not overbearing to where it is distracting.

3. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I like to watch a good hunt.

Don't need to watch you load your truck, put on your camo, scent killer spray and walk for ten minutes explaining how quiet you have to be to sneak in to your stand. I don't care what kind of music gets you pumped up for your "kill." Don't spend five minutes telling me how hard you hunted to finally have "a big buck down." I do like to watch the deer approach. It's fun to watch the squirrels and coons or whatever else is part of the hunt. I like to hear you grunt or rattle, a little, not the entire morning's sequence before you shoot him just at dusk. It's great to watch the deer run after they've been hit. It's also nice to see some of the tracking and the find. Just don't go over the top with how great the shot was and how much you "smoked him!"
    Mostly, just be real and have a good time. Remember...........
    The people that are going to watch your hunt put their pants on one leg at a time, just like you.

Sorry for the rant but most videos today seem to be nothing more than hype and hunts on high priced leases.

4. SheddingLightTravis

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks! And I totally agree about the people that watch. We call ourselves the Joe staff. We aren't pros. We just want to film from the vantage point of the average American hunter. Appreciate the rant...it confirms our filming convictions!

5. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I personally like OTS bowhunting. But I also like different camera angles, such as a camera on the ground and a shot of the hunter. Split screen shots are always great. As far as content, I always appreciate those who show why they put a stand in a certain location. I love the way Bill Winke seems to narrow a deer's travel pattern with use of trailcams. I also like the zooming in segment Greg Miller uses in his program. Best of luck to you all. I know there are a lot of shows out there but I think there's always room for more good ones.

Blessings..........Pastorjim

6. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I only watch bowhunting hunts. I stopped rifle hunting years back. So watching rifle hunts are no longer appealing to me.

7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I refuse to watch anymore guns or bows. A couple things have been touched on that are vexing. Riding in a truck or getting picked up at the airport, talking while up in the stand, the whispering drives me nuts. The reverse angle with the camera behind the deer filming when the hunter "finds" his deer. The catch phrases, the sponsoring plugs etc. Big Time TV hunting has a perception issue it appears to be "dirty" and fake. Hunting for the camera changes how and why people hunt and it seems every new show it just like the others.

8. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Classic Sota. I think these were the questions. "There's a million different hunting shows all over the tv and Internet. What's your favorite type of hunting show? Do you like archery over gun hunts? How do you feel about crazy music in the background? What are the key elements that makes up a good video in your mind?" There is only so much that can be done with a hunting show...period. To me the key elements of a show are the personalities on the show. Anyone can film killing of an animal but without good personalities it is difficult to watch. I like the Primos hunts and have for many years. I like seeing "The TRUTH" videos and the way they do their filming. I prefer bow hunts but do enjoy some of the gun hunts I see. I like to learn something from the hunt and can do without the "crazy" music. I like good quality spot and stalk hunts rather than shooting everything out of a tree (no problem with hunting from a tree but it's nice to see something different on occasion). Good luck to you and your team. Hope to see some good stuff in the future.

9. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    100% Bow hunts, Not a big fan of crazy music,just not over the top crazy. I like the blue color hunter shows, not covering up a bad shot, keeping it real, I like a good story, if it was just the hunt I would get board with it. Hunting Shows are not for everyone, as is TV sports for others. Im the same with TV sports as some are with TV hunting shows, just not for everyone!

10. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    bowhunts for me. not a fan of the big time hunters. I prefer the regular guy that doesn't know much about the editing side and leaves most of the raw footage in. I DO NOT like anything filmed with the tactacam style videos. terrible quality and everything looks small and far away. my advice is to be real and don't act in front of the camera. having an authentic videos will be more entertaining for people to watch. don't worry about being perfect!!!

11. nwmono

nwmono Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Above all show respect for the animal. I realize we all have different personalities, just not a fan of the overdone celebrating so many shows incorporate.
    The deer has home field advantage, show how & why you setup where you did. The tactics used. Take the viewer along on the actual recovery so its not staged.
    I'm not a fan of firearm hunting, get close, use a bow.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  12. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Even though I film here in Iowa, I really get bored with midwest whitetail hunting videos with the exception of a few select videos. I watch backcountry western bowhunting style videos mostly. I hate the forced expressions or anything that is obviously faked. I hate videos where they talk for 15 minutes about the hunt they're about to do. I can't stand the show Major League Bowhunter.

13. SheddingLightTravis

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for your tips and insights. We certainly are trying to keep it real. Two of us hunt in Ohio and our other buddy hunts on Kansas. Here's an Ohio gun hunt from this year you can check out if you want. Have a good one. Travis Shirer Doe Drop - YouTube

14. ybohunt

ybohunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I dont usually like hunts where they show the hunter doing a lot of things other than hunting but the show Heartland Bowhunter does this in a way that makes it very interesting to watch and it seems a lot more like real hunting.

I dont watch rifle hunts anymore becauce they are very boring compared to bow hunts.And as elkguide said I dont need to watch you drive,get out put on camo and walk for ten minutes.and I dont need to listen to you go on for 5 minutes about how hard you have hunted this year and how you "Deserve" or "Needed" that deer and how you "Smoked him".

15. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    nice video. the only thing you guys need to do is swing your camera arm slower. when you swing the camera around slower it will stay in focus better instead of becoming a blur.

16. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly this!! /\/\/\/\/\

17. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    From a pure bowhunting standpoint, BH.com and HB are my favorite.

HB really set the bar for quality footage and editing early in the game. They were a welcomed relief from the handicam shaky footage and terrible music choice.

I'm big on the story and the cinematography myself since that's my interest (I know not everyone is the same).

Rockhouse Motion, Sicmanta, Branlin Schockey, HB, 39 North, Seacat Creative, etc. All great storytelling with great cinematography.

[video=vimeo;111033998]https://vimeo.com/111033998[/video]

[video=vimeo;105686970]https://vimeo.com/105686970[/video]

[video=vimeo;47989207]https://vimeo.com/47989207[/video]

18. JasonL

JasonL Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have to say I like less advertising and more hunting #1.

Bowhunt or Die I like pretty well. There are a few I have watched on youtube that is 10 minutes of ads and 2 minutes of hunting...that sucks. The one thing I like about Bowhunt or Die is that they seem to take most of that and put it in the intro and occasionally in the interview/host time. That I can deal with vs in the tree blabbing on about something or after the shot like your doing a commercial for said product and didn't just shoot a deer.

Little to no music is best. Again if its overpowering it takes away from the hunt for me. I love to hear the woods. That is one reason why I go so a deer walking in is music enough for me. I think its more like being there...

I don't mind a few tips and tricks unless it gets to ad driven. I don't mind some but like I said before there is a point that it is way to much. I also understand people make there money that way.
    One other thing I dislike is silly promotion of some product after the kill. Like holding up a bottle of some scent etc. I don't know that just gets me. I get it you (may have) used it and want to make money. But I have seen the same picture with several different things like they lined them all up for a photo shoot... I just find it disrespectful to the animal.

Now since I am on that subject. Pics and care of the animal should be respectful in my opinion. Bowhunt or Die does a good job with this IMO. And most others really just a note I thought I would mention.

Oh and I like the recovery footage. Again feels more like your there.

Bowhunting videos are better most of the time but I don't mind rifle or shotgun videos either. I still gun hunt if I don't get a deer with a bow.