3d target questions

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Bryan Jeffrey, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Bryan Jeffrey

Bryan Jeffrey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So the first 3d target a bought was last year. Within a week I was passing arrows threw the big shooter buck. Not happy with it I decided that I won't buy another 3d target any time soon. Well I decided to give another brand a try . I just bought the delta Mackenzie "howling coyote". The first round of arrows were already sticking out the other side of the target. Although I can tell this target will last longer than the big shooter buck. I don't think it will be a whole lot longer.
    My question is. Is this just the nature of 3d target. Will you always be shooting threw the back side of the targets right off the bat. Or have I just bought not so good targets?

2. grizzly1530

grizzly1530 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Unfortunately you can't get a 3D target on a reasonable budget. The expensive rinehart targets really are second to none. I have a buddy that holds an archery shoot every year that over 100 people shoot, and his rineharts have stood up for 20+ years. Saying that though, he's got 5-700 bucks into each target, so they're REALLY expensive!

3. Bryan Jeffrey

Dislikes Received:
    Well it is worth it if they last. These cheaper targets might last a month for $100-$200. I'd be glad to pay $700 for somthing that lasts 3 years. Maybe I'll try a rinehart next year.

4. Bryan Jeffrey

Dislikes Received:
    I just don't understand all these reviews on these open cell foam 3d targets that disintegrate almost immediately. Every cheap 3d has good reviews. And they are kinda junk. Maybe if you only fire a couple shots in them once a year before deer season. But that's all they seem to be good for.

5. grizzly1530

grizzly1530 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, sure seems like it. I think it might be because they're the best "budget" targets out there. Many people, myself included, look at the initial 700 dollar price and basically fall over. Now that I've actually seen them work, I'm a believer, but before I had a chance to use them, I thought they were way too pricy.

One thing with rineharts, I believe they make a cheaper deer target, which is similar to the others. Go with the more expensive options.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  6. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I bought a deer Rinehart and a tom Rinehart a few years ago and haven't had any arrows go through, same goes for my 18-1...my buddy bought a Delta Mackenzie and had chunks flying out after one afternoon of shooting

7. Bryan Jeffrey

Dislikes Received:
    Yea. My 18-1 is looking like it will surpass the 1 year warranty :-/ I was hoping for a free target although on 4 sides arrows go threw at this point. And yea my delta looks like it will be blowing out chunks by today. Rinehart wi be my next investment then.

8. Cledus

Cledus Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Have you tried a Glendel? I have had mine for a couple years and I shoot a lot, never had an issue.

Ps. just because the arrows poke thru doesn't mean it wont last, you're talking about 8-10 inches of target stopping your arrow.

9. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Never had the problem with my GlenDel either.

10. Jrob140

Jrob140 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've got a delta Mckenzie buck and the center that came with the target did the same thing you're having trouble with now. I just put a few bales of hay behind it and waited till this year to replace the center. After ordering a new replacement center it lasted me all of this year and I'll be surprised if I have to replace it next year. I shoot 3-4 times a week

11. Bryan Jeffrey

Dislikes Received:
    Yea. I have a carpet bail to stop the arrows on my deer, but I was just wondering. Because IV seen pictures of 3d targets with big chunks missing and still no holes on the backside. I'd like to have one of those.

12. Bryan Jeffrey

Dislikes Received:
    I know, but it sure isn't a promising sign that it will hold up for a long time ether. As soon as you start getting more holes in the same spot. You will start sinking arrows to the fletching, and I don't want to damage my vanes any more than I already do.

13. Swise660

Swise660 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Our big shooter buck didn't last long either. We bought it last summer and it will probably hit the dumpster early this summer. We ended up taking those stickers dots that are 1-2" in diameter and stuck them in a few different places on the big buck just to try and make it last longer.

We have started investing in Rinehart targets. Here's a little secret, find the factory seconds and you can get them at about half price. We plan on getting 2 or 3 more Rineharts as they do factory seconds sales. Their woodland bucks can be picked up for $80.

14. Bryan Jeffrey

Dislikes Received:
    Yea. We were just wrapping the torso area with plastic wrap and filling it with spray foam. Hahahaha. It was my wife's idea, and It actually works well, and it's a lot cheaper than replacement vitals. Once the foam drys we removed the plastic wrap.

That's a great idea. I'll have to look for the factory seconds.

15. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Rinehart or the Pro 3D series McKenzie's.

The Backyard series McKenzie's are OK.........but the Pro series targets are much better and last a lot longer.

16. vectordawg

vectordawg Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Where do you find the factory seconds?

17. Cledus

Cledus Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This. We sell a lot of the Pro 3d's and never hear any complaints about them.

18. Blarney22

Blarney22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Check out the rhinehart woodland buck. Open cell body with a closed cell replaceable core.

19. Swise660

Swise660 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sportsman's Guide, Midway, and Cabela's are a few I can think of off the top of my head.

If you search for Rinehart factory seconds, you will find a few. They seem to come and go in runs but I see them listed for sale at least every other month or so (on Midway's site any ways).

20. illinibowhunter

illinibowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have always stuck with the foam blocks to get the job done.