Favorite animal to hunt

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Shane0709, Jan 18, 2016.

1. Shane0709

Shane0709 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What is your favorite animal to hunt? I would say whitetail, but that is all I have hunted. I would definitely like to try elk one day.

2. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agree, I would love to hunt Elk and Mule Deer, but without a doubt, right now, whitetail deer!!

3. ybohunt

ybohunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Whitetail deer.or turkeys

4. Swise660

Swise660 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's a tough call for me. We hunt whitetail, turkey, waterfowl and upland game birds. I absolutely love turkey hunting. I enjoy the fact that we only spring turkey hunt and it doesn't affect any other hunting I enjoy. So is certainly one of my favorites!

Upland game birds, I could take or leave it. I still enjoy it but if I am given the option of waterfowl and deer, I will choose one of those first!

Now it comes down to waterfowl and deer. I love waterfowl because of the constant action. I love being out with a group, bs'ing with friends/family in the blind, watching the dog work, calling, everything related to it. Now ask me how much duck hunting we did last season. None, not once did we get out to the duck blind.

I got so tied up in bow hunting this past season. The biggest reason behind this was it was my second archery season with no luck my first season. I had so much fun my first season even though I didn't take anything with bow, I loved it. I loved the close encounters, trying to calm my self enough to shoot my first archery deer, and I had learned so much more in 2 seasons of bow hunting compared to all these years of gun hunting! I was able to take my first 2 archery deer this season, which really drove the thought of possibly not gun hunting any more into my head!

Every one now keeps telling me my days of waterfowl hunting are limited! I hate to admit it to myself or think about it but this bow hunting thing may have become my new love in the hunting world!

5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I love whitetails but black bears are a ton of fun to hunt, they move thru the thickest brush silent they are like black smoke going thru the woods. It gets my heart beating when a bear is moving in much more than a buck. Plus tracking a wounded bear in the dark is way more stimulating than a buck.:lol:

6. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I seem to enjoy whitetails the most but the type of hunting you do for elk or mule deer is a lot of fun and beats being in a tree stand waiting for something to happen. I can see me not hunting elk again but I can't see me not chasing whitetails so my answer is whitetails.

7. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have only hunted whitetails and turkeys with a bow. So far whitetail is my favorite but very excited about an upcoming hog hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am a hunter.

I just love being out among them.
    As a hunter, I love the pursuit, the trying to figure the animal out.
    I love hunting for arrowheads and other artifacts.

I have had a very blessed life as far as hunting goes and since the OP asked about the favorite animal............
    I have had the privilege of hunting squirrels, rabbits, whitetails, mulies, elk, partridge, pheasant, turkey, bear, coyote, raccoon, fallow deer, red deer and wild goats.

It's hard to pick just one BUT if I had to hunt just one animal it would be.....................

elk during the rut.

9. Jrob140

Jrob140 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My favorite would without a doubt have to be bowhunting whitetails during the rut. However I honestly enjoy everything there is about bowhunting whitetails. The after season scouting, trail camera surveys to see who made it for next year, strategizing food plots, entrances and exits, etc. there is just nothing like getting in the tree on a cool crisp morning, watching the sunrise, thanking God for everything you've been blessed with, and then being given the opportunity to harvest an animal the same way humans have for thousands of years. There's just nothing like it.

10. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Squatches is where I spend most of my efforts but I also enjoy whitetail and turkey hunting.

Not having to wake up as early for Turkey definitely makes me enjoy it a little more..

11. tkaldahl2000

tkaldahl2000 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I will get to hunt elk, mulies, and antelope for the first time this coming fall. Up to this point my favorite has been whitetails. I also love gunning for geese. There is plenty of opportunity for that around here too. So glad I moved to Montana

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  12. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Unicorns in the highlands of Narnia.

Whitetails in pre-rut are a close second.

13. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Agree 100%.

14. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I started out shooting pigeons with bb guns and that was a bunch of fun. I even shot one right out of the air which was a surprise since it was only a bb gun. Other than whitetails and pigeons I've also hunted squirrels and rabbits which is pretty fun but I haven't seen many around here anymore like I used to. My favorite to hunt would have to be whitetail though.

15. Bowhunter16

Bowhunter16 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Bowhunting whitetail. Rabbits are definitely one of the most fun to go after if you want fast excitement.

16. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think I have a favorite.

I haven't hunted whitetails in two years and don't miss it. Not because I didn't love whitetail hunting but because I'm now enjoying the challenge of hunting mule deer and elk. With a rifle even. In fact if I had to choose between only hunting with my bow or with my 300 wm. I'd pick my rifle. It's just a whole different kind of challenge.

I didn't go bowfishing at all in 2015. I used to bowfish more than any other outdoorsy thing. Now there are nuisance ground squirrels by the thousands to shoot in the spring. $50 bounty coyotes year round. Year round jackrabbits. Exploring the mountains. Just so much fun stuff to do.

I even bought ice fishing stuff and I haven't ice fished in at least a decade.

But if I had to pick one critter right now... it would be elk.

17. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I guess it could be that the bear is tracking you instead of being tracked............................

18. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Whitetails now, but could change in sept. Elk hunting first time!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  19. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm going to have to go with whitetails as well. My Dad and I use to quail hunt but anymore you can't find them with a search warrant around here. Covey has some and so do the conservation areas but they are definitely reduced in numbers for sure.

20. jackflap

jackflap Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Whitetail for the simplicity and ease of access. I like Elk hunting and much closer to it than most of you, (I can be in elk country with a 5 hour drive) but it is still a one time a year 5-7 day all encompassing commitment whereas I can slip out for the last hour of daylight for a whitetail hunt 3-4 times a week if I so choose.

And call me a Weinie if you want, but I like the hot shower and warm bed that I get to enjoy whitetail hunting as opposed to sleeping on the ground and being stinky while elk hunting.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016