Social Media

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Jake/PA, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just coming across this story now and, honestly, I'm surprised there isn't more of this happening. If you're a frequent user of any social media site I'm sure you've seen a lot of people trying to "make it" in the hunting industry with their posts. Most of us do it the right way but there's always some willing to cross that line.

Not going to say much about the story because the article does a good job of grasping what happened. But this is one of the many problems that social media has created when it comes to hunting.

Bull elk scam? DIY backcountry hunt or high fence? | goHUNT

2. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Cheaters have always been and will always be amongst our ranks. Social media just spreads their fame faster but can also bring them down just as quickly. I really feel sorry for an individual who is so hungry for attention that they would make up a lie about their hunting activities and then spread it around as the truth. Personally I wouldn't be able to live with myself.

Blessings........Pastorjim

3. AntlerAddict

AntlerAddict BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Unfortunately the cheaters give the rest of us hunters, that hunt wild and free range, a bad name.

4. ybohunt

ybohunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    He would have had everybody fooled had it not been for that train.

If he had truly shot that bull in the backcountry he would have proud and probably would have stuck up for himself and not removed his pics right away.
    I guess if nothing else he would make decent actor.

5. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I can't bring myself to even call guys like that a hunter.......

Just a con man effectively messing with my favorite pastime.

6. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    "Make **** happen or get off the fence". That one made me laugh. :lol:

People's quest for fame knows no bounds.

7. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would say it is closer to most people trying to "make it" in the hunting industry are doing things the wrong way than some people. Now most aren't going to the same lengths this d bag is but some of the crap that goes on is pretty ridiculous. There are plenty of people using one product but say they use another even when they are getting paid to use the product. People using trail cameras then putting their sponsors info strip across the bottom because there cameras don't take that good of pictures. People shooting animals in pens and trying to pass them off as fair chase just to make a name for themselves or keep there name relevant. How about the huge numbers of people that didn't hunt many years ago but now talk like it is in "their blood" but have shot as many animals in the last 2 years then they did the rest of their lives and most of them had to have some one help them kill those animals. It is pretty sad that a large number of the people pushing products and talk like experts couldn't kill a damn thing if you left them alone in the woods to do it themselves. As long as you have a facebook page and a youtube channel plenty of people think they are in the hunting industry. If you have 25,000 people like your page but every other post is "if you like my page I will like your page" who gives a ****!!! Plus all of the people who shoot animals they normally wouldn't just to get footage and make up some excuse for it or just plain lie about how big it is. The worst of all is the F'ing use of the term "huntress" I don't give a s**t if you are a man or a woman if you can hunt you are a hunter!!! I don't know what the percentage is of the huntress's out there that wanted to be a model at some point in their lives but just had no chance and see an avenue for the look at me affect in the hunting industry but I would bet it is way higher than you would think.

8. TheChurchArchers

TheChurchArchers Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well I have a little testimony towards this, before social media back in my stupid days of not knowing the lord, I made up a lie about killing a deer and I actually bought it online(yes you can buy just the horns and head on ebay lol) a huge buck I did this because my best friend who just started hunting killed a monster buck and I've been hunting since I was little and never even killed a 8pt at the time. Well I got jealous and made up a story so all my friends would think I was this big bad hunter. Needless to say it from the time I did it the guilty of lying just got worse by the day. When I got saved some 4 years later the pastor was preaching about making your past right and burn all ungodliness that may linger from your pass. He really was meaning to just stop sinning if you sinning and get rid of anything that keeps you in the sin lol but I took the burning literally. I took the deer off the wall grabbed some gas and made a bonefire out of it in my back yard. Then I came out to everyone about the lie and made my slate clean. Felt good to get right so I'm giving the lord thanks for convicting me, because I've been so blessed since with harvesting some beautiful animals. Matter of fact the year after I did that I killed 3 beautiful bucks in one year which I've never done in my life haha. Just thought I'd share my story. But anyway as a culture we strive to be something to others and I feel this guy has the same issue I had back in the day, he wants to be someone he really isn't made to be and he got caught. I feel bad for the dude because he is striving to make something of himself and he just ruined it all by someone else catching him. I Pray he get convicted and it strives him to be better and truthful from now on and he can turn it all around.

9. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    And people say I'm salty. :lol:

Git 'em, Lester! :deadhorse:

10. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Justin it may be beating a dead horse but damn it seams to be getting worse :evilgrin:

11. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I wished we lived closer Tim. I'd like to hunt and hang out with you.

Blessings.........Pastorjim

12. TheChurchArchers

TheChurchArchers Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hey I don't mind hunting out of state brother and visiting lol same here Pastor it'd be a great time!!

13. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    What a clown so many posers and frauds trying to be a big deal, trying to draw quiver sniffers.

14. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What happen to "making it" through hard work. The instant gratification generation...I tell ya. :sad:

15. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Most people just need to take responsibility for their actions and own it. We all make mistakes and bad decisions but the difference is growing up and owning those mistakes. Our world is turning into instant this and instant that. With the invention of the internet and social media, you can be almost instantly famous in whatever someone wants to follow. Humble is a word most don't recognize anymore or know what it means. People don't have to work for things as hard as they used to.

I want a new bow this year so my solution is overtime. My gosh, what a novel idea! Earn what you want.

Anyway here's a link that could possibly help some people out. If you didn't know, almost all smart phones and newer digital cameras record the location a picture was taken. You can then put the Longitude and Latitude info into Google Earth and find out exactly where the pic was taken. Here's a link that explains it better and how to do it. (it also tells you how to turn this off but I don't think a lot people are techie enough to know) How to See Exactly Where a Photo Was Taken (and Keep Your Location Private)

Enjoy!

16. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Fake it till' you make it... Sad.

17. bigfootcali

bigfootcali Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I know social media play's a big part of this ongoing trend and lets not forget how hunting shows affect this type of behavior. I also feel that these type of people have no morals, standards or common decency or respect for hunting in general, it's just like when someone says they are a hunter but they don't fit the stereotypical profile of a hunter and then next thing you know there trying to fit that profile by any means possible. I know i'm going on a rant here and appoalagize for that, it's just that I see so many hunters trying to go big all the wrong ways (like in the article). I say beyourself work hard train hard and hunt hard because it's your passion not because you want fame or sponsorship.