How's the shops in your area?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by PSEHunter79, Jan 10, 2016.

1. PSEHunter79

PSEHunter79 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So many shops I hear great story's of happy customers, than I hear not so great stories, more not so great stories. Do shops break things on purpose? Hmm maybe not break, but perhaps do things ie; put it out of timing on purpose, taking the bow out of spec, creating stupid amounts of cam lean...
    or something else that would cause a shooter not to shoot so well or something that just doesn't feel quiet right when anchoring so they can sell them lessons or tuning sessions? I'm in the process of getting a press / draw board because one to many experiences of catching the "expert bow tech" doing things he should not be doing. Than arguing about it, or just the overall attitude of the shop.. As well as trying to charge me for work that should of been done the first time.. IE; tying in peep sight..

How hard is it to find a shop you can actually TRUST? I assume not easy..LOL....How about in your area?

Is this why so many fellow hunters just do their own work? Aside from the fact that it's fun.

2. Bryan Jeffrey

Bryan Jeffrey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have always done my own work. after i drop quite a bit of money on my new bow. I decided to let the pros handle it. I have been very happy with how riverside archery has tuned my bow, and handled all my ridiculous requests when it comes to parts, and tuning. I will continue to go out of my way to give them my business.

3. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have several local shops but I haven't been happy with their work so I drive an hour and a half to my "local" shop and am very happy with them.

4. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Bass and Bucks in Wabash, IN is one of the best I've ever seen. It's about a half hour drive for me but worth it.

Blessings.........Pastorjim

5. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I like my shop, it's a short walk to my basement. Sometimes the guy that works on my bows does stupid things however for the most part he knows what he is doing.

6. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I never had any trouble with the shop I use to go to. When he retired I asked him who to go to. He suggested that I work on it myself. I bought a couple books that give very good instructions. Worked on all my bow ever since. I feel it gives a better feel/understanding of my bow.

7. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ive struggled finding a good one. Tried a new one out a few days ago and like it so far so fingers crossed. Its frustrating though when I ask things like tuning questions and can tell they haven't kept up to date with modern technologies and information.

8. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Have one great shop near me and one that's terrible. But I do all of my own work. Just use the for purchases

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. PSEHunter79

Dislikes Received:
    Great advice he gave you, he probably knows full well the silliness that goes on at many shops. I agree, with the internet today, you can do everything yourself and learn all about the bow pretty quickly..

10. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The shop I go to has always been great. I've been going there since I was 13 and back then he would give me free magazines to read because he said it's better than getting into trouble.

11. Mr.O

Mr.O Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure how far it would be for you, but have you tried DropTine Archery in Allenwood, PA? Best bowshop I have ever been to. Well worth the drive. I have a couple shops that are much closer, and I will shoot at their ranges, but if I really want work done/new bow, I go to DropTine.

12. killer chill-r

killer chill-r Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The one I bought my Chill R from was the closest to me, so j went there & spent a lot of money with them guys. What upset me was when I hurt my shoulder & turned down the weight & my peep sight turned, j went there to have them turn the string & he told me my string was stretched & needed to replace it. Now I bought the bow in January & it was August. So the bow was only 8 months old. This infuriated me. So now I drive 1 1/2hrs the Bow Zone for all my stuff.

13. PSEHunter79

Dislikes Received:

Why didn't they just pop your peep out twist the string and pop it back in..I'm no expert, but that just doesn;t sound right.. If you turn down the weight that really shouldn't effect your peep. Sounds like they were trying to rip you off perhaps...

14. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You are probably the 3rd to say that. Its about 2.5 hours from me, worth it for sure if its good. I also have a sister just out side of Allentown and spend a fair amount of time in the area, so shouldn't be hard to make the trip at all. Thank you!

15. Rangerdan

Rangerdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in central Vermont and we have a few similar archery shops to what you've described here. I have to mention and send a big shout-out to Pelkey's archery in St. Albans, VT. They have great indoor facilities as well as outdoor and their customer service is far beyond what I've experienced elsewhere. I'm sure they should have charged me several times in the past for assistance with my bow/arrows etc, but I always seem to be walking out of there without having to open up my wallet. The staff are very experienced and certainly don't seem to be there to push sales on people. They have a great kids program and coaching is available, though I've picked up tips for free from a few of the guys there. Highly recommended!

16. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I love my local bow shop, Tales and Trails. Great service.

17. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Not a huge fan of any near me. Been to 3 shops and all have issues. Strictly Archery in Shorewood has good selection and a real nice indoor range though.

There is a new one opening in Tinley Park soon. But as its a gun and bow shop I'm not too sure it will be great on the archery side of the house. Keeping an open mind though.

Back when I lived in NE Indiana I also went to that shop in Wabash previously mentioned. It was probably the best one I ever went to.

18. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I bought my first bow from KD Outdoors here in Michigan. They owners son helped me set everything up with my bow and really taught me a lot about anchor points and grip techniques. I always would take my bow back there for maintenance and they always hooked me up. My marine cousin dry fired my bow accidently and ended up cracking a limb on my Z7, KD without any hesitation got replacement limbs on order right away, I payed $30 for the work that was done and 0$ for the parts. Unfortunately the shop has now closed and the owner has passed away. Only other shops are 30+min away..

19. ybohunt

ybohunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Barrets hunting supplies in harrison AR is a great shop.When we still lived in AR I always went to him.Super nice guy,he even retuned my bow for free !!

20. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    One shop is about 10 minutes from my house but the guy in there doesn't believe in customer service. Plenty of people have complained about how they're treated and he's been belittling to me a few times.

The other shop is 30-40 minutes away, so I'm not going there every time I need a small change.

Having said all of that, I bought a press this past spring and start tuning myself. It's a little overwhelming at first but I LOVE walking down to my basement to tweak my bow. Plus, it just feels great doing things yourself.