A day at the range...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by PSEHunter79, Jan 7, 2016.

1. PSEHunter79

PSEHunter79 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I go to a few different ranges a few times a week to stay sharp. One range in particular has a few daily regulars shooting traditional bows, older guys probably 60's...The other day someone asked me what poundage I was shooting and when I replied 65lbs...One of the older guys made a snark remark.."Oh your just using such a high poundage for bragging rights, you don't need to use that much"...I honestly wanted to slap the guy, no really, at the very least correct him and tell him I want a particular amount of energy in my hunting arrows, but he is almost double my age, I just kept quiet and kept shooting..

Question for you guys.. Anyone experience that kinda nonsense on the range? Who the hell cares what poundage someone is shooting! I left scratching my head and thought that guy is probably why I would never join any leagues...

2. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Everyone has something to say about everything, look around the world. If you can't shrug it off your in for a long and bumpy ride. Don't let people bother you who cares. My archery league is a blast, that sucks if one persons remarks makes your breaks you having a blast shooting 3D and becoming a better and more confident shot.

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I won't shoot at the local range for a couple of reasons one my home range has a longer range and the second I don't need or want 5 people watching me shoot. Why wouldn't you want to shoot a deer as hard as you possibly can?

4. PSEHunter79

Dislikes Received:
    Good advice, you're right, just never experienced that at a range.. generally most guys are nice, I really don't go to make friends and just shoot for a few hours and leave keeping to myself most times.

You ever heard of guys playing with your peep sights on purpose in leagues or messing with your bow so you don't shoot as well? lol.. the stuff I've heard, really made me wonder when that guy made that comment...

5. lgreenslade3

lgreenslade3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yep I had something similar happen the other day. I said I was shooting 67lbs and he said something like "that doesn't make sense, either go to 70 or 65" well I like 67lbs!

6. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I hate traditional elitist's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I'd tell him... let's shoot for $100 at that 60 yard target. Or right, my bow may be 65lbs, but it's 805 let off... So I'm only holding 13lbs at full draw... and I can do that for a minute or two... how about you? Or... Ask him why he has a V8?

8. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm sure people tamper with others stuff at some places, where I shoot everyone us friend and it's laid back. There is slot of messing driving when we shoot the screen tho, but it's all in good fun. People just suck sometimes look past it and do your thing!

9. TheRiverBottom

TheRiverBottom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Tell him to go take his little blue pill with a glass of shut the hell up.

10. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Look out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Bow Duke

Bow Duke Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I say, let it go. Who care what he thinks about your draw weight? Life is too short to be concerned with guys at the range.

Enjoy your shootin'.

12. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'd just let it roll.
    Going a league or doing some competive shooting is always a plus.
    There will always be someone who shoots better than you. Those are the ones you want to shoot with as you will get better. Consistently training or practice without pushing yourself and you'll get stagnant.
    I wouldn't pass up the opportunity to better myself because of some Fudd.

13. DriveTacks

DriveTacks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Doesn't sound like he is the type that would be shooting in a league with you anyway.

14. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Last winter my son and a couple of his friends goaded me into shooting the indoor screen contest with them. There were all sorts of rules establishing what class you were in and since I was going to shoot one of my hunting rigs and didn't want to mess with it, I went in the unlimited class. It lasted for six weeks and after the third week one of those "super target shooters" with his really neat looking paint job on his bow and stabilizers all over the place, started making cheap shots about my bow, the designer of my bow and how it wouldn't tune and consistently shoot. Kind of took me by surprise and after the fifth week the range operator even told the guy to back off. I thought it was strange and told the range guy it didn't bother me since I was just doing it for fun and because my son was shooting. The range guy then asked, "you don't know why he's all over you?" I said that I didn't have a clue. He then said well right now, you're ahead of him for the championship! Of course on the final night, with my son and all of his friends riding me, I blew it and lost by 2 to the hotshot but I found it to be pretty funny. It was even funnier the next fall when the next time I saw the super shooter, we were both reporting deer at the check station and his doe looked pretty small next to my buck.

LIFE IS GOOD!!!!!!

15. MOGC

MOGC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would have smiled and politely said, "Just curious sir but how would you know what I need? Or want?"

16. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Why even converse with the guy? Consider the source and move on. Life's too short.

17. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just smile, nod your head and walk away.

18. Bryan Jeffrey

Bryan Jeffrey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I want to find a old PSE gorilla #100DW for that very reason. bragging rights. but really. you should have smacked him. really hard. then explain to him the harder you can hit a deer with an arrow the more damage it will do. just like his you did to his face.
    Then run before the cops get there. hahaha

all seriousness. thats just sad. and im glad i have never shot at a public range. aside from the small range at the shop i buy equipment at.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  19. PSEHunter79

Dislikes Received:

hhahahhahaha...even one of the younger guys made a comment saying 50 lbs is all I need and thats what I should be practicing with.. I found a new indoor range to visit that doesn't have that sort of crowd and has more hunters...

20. Bryan Jeffrey

Bryan Jeffrey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    maybe the "younger guys" are just string beans and cant pull more than 50# for a couple hours. so they just tell themselves all you need is 50# so much now they believe it. I really want a pse gorilla. ill be making stops at every range in my area.