Scent control at treestand after walking in

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Jeremy/PA, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Jeremy/PA

Jeremy/PA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What do you do with sweaty clothing after getting to the stand? I normally walk in a short/long sleeve t-shirt. Most of my walk is uphill so I do work up a sweat on the way. Plastic bag it? Seems noisy? Gallon zip lock maybe?

2. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't really do anything if I work up a little sweat as it usually go's away. You can never be totally sent free. One thing I do carry in my pack is those little scent wipes to wipe away some of the sweat once i'm settled in. Kinda helps you feel fresh then. All you can do is just do the best you can and what your comfortable with.

3. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    scent wipes and a gallon slidezip style would be what I would do if I really worked up a sweat....or I'd walk most of the way to my stand and change, leave plastic bag or slidezipped bag there if wind is okay to do so and then take my time to the stand ensuring I don't sweat the final approach.

4. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm with kurveball mostly. The only difference is I carry a small spray bottle of Scent-A-Way with me. When I get to the stand I spray everything down good and leave the bottle hanging on steps as I go up.
    I do walk fairly slow and leave everything unzipped and most of the time I leave my hat off. It works for me.

5. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yes! Never wear your hat while walking to stand especially for longer distance hikes. A lot of heat is retained and expelled from your head so if you wear a hat while hiking in you will definitely get warmer.

6. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This! ^

7. hoyt05

hoyt05 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm going to try the scent wipes and a ziplock bag next year

8. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wind...

9. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Cooter when are you going to stop with the using the wind, you can't market and sell the wind.:lol:

10. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    I usually have some long packs in, the best thing that works for me even on a 30 degree morning is to pack my jacket in, even with sock hat off. By the time I get there Im not sweating but comfortable ! Then put them on!

11. TheRiverBottom

TheRiverBottom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    New Product idea.... Take the flexible clamp of the DeerView Mirrow and mount a battery operated fan on it. Early retirement here I come. I need a catchy name.

12. Swise660

Swise660 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with much of what has already been posted. I carry or pack in my coat and walk slowly, especially when I have a long walk in.

13. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I won't buy a base layer top that isn't 1/4 zip. The hat is a big thing. I will never wear it on the walk in. All my field shirts are button up so I can vent on the way in.

14. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If I am sweating that bad by the time I reach my stand, I am either walking to hard or wearing to much. If anything I am a little underdressed when walking in. Anything above 25 I won't have more than my base layer unless there is a healthy wind.

15. Jeremy/PA

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for all the responses. No I don't wear a hat, yes I only wear minimal cloths to get to the stand. But the question was:

When I get to the stand and I take that shirt off that I walked in with, where should I put it? (yes we go slow, but carrying a bow, stand and gear I sweat a little or a lot regardless) I like to take that shirt off and get into my base layer then or before we get there.

I like the zip lock bag idea and will most likely try that. Thanks!

16. Swampthing

Swampthing Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If it's warm outside I just get in the stand with my sweaty clothes on. Happens all the time after long treks through the swamps.

When it's cold out, I wear only my baselayers on my walk in and while hanging my stand. Then I put on my bibs and jacket before making my final climb up the tree. Not for scent control purposes. I just don't want to get sweaty when it's cold out.

17. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I wear everything but my top when I walk in. My base layer is moisture wicking so it helps a lot. I too have learned not to wear a hat when walking in. Dead Down Wind's Field Wipes are Amazing. Try them when you get doe urine or doe estrus on your hands and you will see what I mean. I use them to wipe away any sweat when I get to the base of my stand.

18. Jeremy/PA

Dislikes Received:
    The field wipes are also on my "get" list for next season.

19. NEB Bucks

NEB Bucks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Another idea other than the zip lock bag is a scent proof bag. Scent lok, scent killer and tinks make them. I think there would be less noise with those. I love using them for trips where I'm hunting multiple days and I can pack a bag with fresh clothes for each day I hunt

20. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I had a stand on a hill top in east Ky (fish trap wma) and the walk in alone would leave you drenched in sweat. The few times I hunted it I wore gym shorts and a t-shirt in and packed my camo in on my pack. I would stop and cool off and chang a few hundred yards from the stand then slip in. I made sure to leave a good half hour too cool down once i reached the top. I put my sweaty clothes in two plastic grocery bags and sprayed them with scent killer and stuck them in my pack. Didn't see any deer from that stand so I don't know if the bags worked.