Which old bow do you still wish you had

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by pastorjim08, Dec 22, 2015.

1. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Ok guys, I know some of you trade bows every year. Or some, even more often than that. With all this changing going on, I'm sure that some of you may have changed and then regretted it later. Maybe it was a good shooter or maybe it just had some sort of sentimental value. Whatever. Which bow would you like to have back and why? For me, I only upgrade about every 5 yrs or so. Now since I'm probably older than most of you I have seen quite the advancement in bows over the years. Still, there are a few from the past that really stand out. I think my favorite of all time had to be the Hoyt Provantage, which i had in the mid '80s. I never had a bow that was as forgiving or that I shot more accurately than that one. Tell me yours and why.

Blessings.........Pastorjim

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  2. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I was just talking about this the other day. Easy. 2007 Bowtech Allegiance with smooth mods.

3. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wish that I still has my 2009 Elite Z28

4. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've had a lot of Diamonds and BowTech's since 2002.......probably 30-40? I was thinking about this the other day as I was filtering through pics of all the old bows in my photobucket account. There are definitely a handful of them I'd love to have back.

My personal favorites were 04' Patriot, 07' Allegiance(s), 10' Destroyer 340(s), 14' RPM 360, and my 08' Constitution(s).

5. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    While there are a few I've liked better that came out since, this was the one that really set the bar for the next 10 years in the industry in my opinion. There are a TON of highly regarded bows still being released today that are so similar to the 07'-08' Allegiance it's ridiculous. Definitely well ahead of it's time for what it was.

6. pastorjim08

Dislikes Received:
    I never had or shot an allegiance but I have heard others saying the same things about this bow. What set it apart from the others?

Blessings...........Pastorjim

7. muzzyman88

Dislikes Received:

It definitely was one of the most "well mannered" and easy shooting bows for what was then, a speed bow. I really think I might have to look around for a good used one. I really love my Experience but I always regret getting rid of the Allegiance. I find it funny that I really like the Elites. But then I realize they're about as close to the Allegiance as you'll find. ;-)

8. muzzyman88

Dislikes Received:

In my opinion, it did everything quite well. It was fast (for the time). Draw cycle was second to none, especially if you used the black smooth mods on it. Very quiet and vibe free. Light weight at 3.8lbs (I believe). Very forgiving and accurate. Awesome grip. In my opinion, the bow simply didn't have any glaring deficiencies. It was a pleasure to shoot. As I stated, if you're looking for a current model Allegiance, the Elite's such as the Synergy and the E series are pretty dang close.

9. pastorjim08

Dislikes Received:
    You bring up the Elites and that is my current bow. And as I've said before it's the smoothest bow I've ever shot. Kinda makes me sad that I missed out on the allegiance. I think when those were out I was shooting a Hoyt Oasis, which was pretty darn smooth and forgiving. It was probably closest to my Provantage that I mentioned earlier.

Blessings......... Pastorjim

Blessings..........Pastorjim

10. muzzyman88

Dislikes Received:

You know, its one of the reasons I've been really looking hard at Elite lately. I'm not old by any stretch, but I also love a smooth, easy pulling bow for in a treestand. I love my Bowtech Experience, and its probably the best pure hunting bow I've owned for the most part. But over the last 4-5 years, Bowtech has strayed away from building "hunting machines" and have catered more and more to the speed freaks.

I think you'll be hard pressed to find a bow that gives you the performance of a speed bow and the mild manners of a great treestand bow like Bowtech. But, they aren't as mild mannered in draw cycle like they used to be. Not horrible, and I feel still one of the nicest draw cycles in the business, but I think they could be a little easier pulling. But doing so, comes at the expense of speed, which they seem to be unwilling to give up. The Experience for example is rated at 335 IBO, but almost every single person I have talked to and even myself, have hit 340-345 IBO. The under rated that bow's speed.

11. pastorjim08

Dislikes Received:
    I had a Bowtech Captain before I got the Elite and while thought it was pretty smooth, it did seem that the cam was jumpy. I really wasn't looking to get rid of it until I stopped in my local shop one day and they invited me to shoot an Elite. I was absolutely hooked after that.

Blessings..........Pastorjim

12. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My Mathews Q2......that thing was so forgiving and I could shoot decent out to 70+ yards. Went to the Creed and had trouble with good groups at 30+ mostly due to the grip and less forgiving. Now with my Elite E35 I'm getting more and more confident with it but haven't shot it enough to call it my baby yet.

13. Lung Buster

Lung Buster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    2010 Martin Bone Hunter!! Loved it!! Never should have sold it!

image.jpg

14. TheRiverBottom

TheRiverBottom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'd go back to that old trad bow I had that shot the blue suction cup broadheads. Scratched my dad's truck with it and man he gave me a tongue lashing I never forgot. Wish I could go back to those old days when Dad was much younger and have with me the appreciation that I have for him now. He's getting old and slowing down. Our days climbing trees together are numbered.

Old times there are not forgotten....look away...look away.

15. Jeremy/PA

Jeremy/PA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My first Bear bow from my Dad when I was a kid so my little ones could use it.

16. Jeremy/PA

Jeremy/PA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My first Bear bow from my Dad when I was a kid so my little ones could use it.

17. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Mine was the Q2's bigger brother, the Q2XL. Same as you, I have not come close to shooting as well since I sold it. I may actually buy a used one.

18. creed1

creed1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My old LX she was heavy and long out in the tree stand but it was wicked smooth drawing and shot groups like no other!

19. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My Bear Polar LTD, because it was my first compound. I gave it to a neighborhood boy thinking he would get interested in bowhunting. That never came to pass. I want my bow back! lol I also wish I still had a couple of my old Bear recurves, that's what I started shooting with.

20. dmen

dmen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Definitely should have kept my Bowtech Tribute. I was just flat out on target with that now.