Hunting without a treestand?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by BowCommander, Dec 17, 2015.

1. BowCommander

BowCommander Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Does anyone in here have any advice for hunting without a tree stand? I live in southern West Virginia, where there's not much flat land so I don't think a ground blind would do too good either. I'd like to go hunting, but I don't have a tree stand and getting one at the moment is not much of an option either. Does anyone have any experience on successful hunting without a tree stand or do you think I could pull off a ground blind in my terrain?

2. bssimpson

bssimpson Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I do most of my hunting on the ground and on public land. I've taken a nice 8 and a doe with both being within 30 yards this year. If you know your area and where the deer cross, you can easily get close enough for a good shot.

3. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    First off Welcome! Next, what is holding you back from getting a tree stand? You can get fairly cheap stand and sticks that will get the job done.

4. Talon_Ab77

Talon_Ab77 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Building a blind from the natural bush is a good option. I have had lots of luck hunting from naturally built ground blinds.

5. BowCommander

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks! It's just too late in the season for me to get a tree stand, find a place for it, set it up, especially considering I've never used one before.

I see what you're saying. Do you lay down on the ground behind a stump or do you just sit down against a tree or something? I figure making as little movement as possible would be the best approach?

Congrats on the kills. Makes me feel better knowing someone else has had success on the ground and that it's common.

I appreciate the response, guys!

6. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Deer see movement more than anything, so if you can brush yourself in with a decent backdrop of a tree or some brush behind you, you will up your odds of being successful on the ground. Assuming you are bowhunting, you will need to be seated in a way that you can draw your bow with as little movement as possible. I've had deer walk right past me as I'm seated leaning up against a tree. Had no idea I was there, or if they did notice me they had no idea what I was and typically as long as I don't move they end up just moving on.

7. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You can buy portable blinds that are just some camo netting and poles that put a barrier about 3ft high you can hide behind. Wedge that in and around some pine trees or other ground cover and you can set yourself up for about any terrain.

HardLuckLarry likes this.
  8. Smoke

Smoke Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    the main advantage of a tree stand is to put your self above the line of site of the deer... on hill sides and such you lose that advantage for the most part... a ground blind works but you will want to set it up a few days or weeks ahead of time for the deer to get used to that new object in their back yard, theft then becomes a problem... natural blinds work great for what it looks like your needing... I try to find a tree or stump I can lean against with a bush or tall grass in front of me to hide movement and outline... I've actually killed quite a few deer sitting on a log inside an old deadfall with a few well placed branches intertwined to break up my outline...

9. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I love hunting from the ground! Its a very effective way to kill. Get out there keep the wind in your face and movement to a minimum and slow.

10. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome. I do most of my hunting from the ground. Find a place near deer activity and sit still.
    I put brush and other natural pieces of cover in front and especially behind me and have at it.
    It's fun to hunt them on their level.

11. OH11

OH11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    One thing I have done when hunting from the ground is buy some burlap camo netting and a few wooden stakes. I put the stakes in the ground in a circle and put the burlap over the top. I usually sit against a tree or make it between a cluster of larger trees and then brush it in with natural vegetation. Easy enough to set up and doesn't break the bank. On a side note, bring some clothes pins which will help secure the burlap to the stakes. We usually do this during gun season but it works good for bow season as well. I have killed a lot of deer this way.

12. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I actually killed my first 4 or 5 deer from the ground back when I first started bowhunting. I would look for some sort of dead fall and add branches to make something that would conceal me for the most part. I brought a small low profile seat to sit on. A tree stand offers a much better view and greatly ups your odds of killing a deer though. Good luck!

13. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Another option is to mount the tree stand just off the ground if you have the right cover. Any bit of elevation can be to your advantage I do this when I am running out of daylight and it can be really effective. Beats the heck out of most chairs or sitting / kneeling on the ground.

14. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Get a folding stool and sit in cover with a good back drop and your set. I bow hunt from a stand but do 100% of my gun hunting from the ground and have had many deer within feet of me.

15. Talon_Ab77

Talon_Ab77 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Putting natural brush up against your ground blinds helps break up the outline and there making you less detectable. you can also build a small blind up against other surrounding vegetation without the use of a ground blind.

16. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    wind! wind! wind! keep the wind in your face and don't get silhouetted. do what others said above for concealment. try avoiding the still days. the days when the wind is steady will cover your movement and any noise you make while sitting. good luck!

17. BowCommander

Dislikes Received:
    Something like this is what I need! Do you have any links that point to what you're talking about? I think I could manage with something like this.

Your post also caught my eye. If I could do four feet off the ground I guess that would be better than nothing. I'm afraid of heights, overweight and have never put a treestand up before so I wouldn't really know where to start.

I appreciate all of the responses, guys! Each and every one gave me something that can help me. If anyone else has any videos on building ground blinds, ground hunting tips or articles or anything of the sort I am all ears.

Thank you guys, God bless and good luck hunting!

18. bradn4201

bradn4201 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The ghost blinds or equivalent are a really cool option also if you want something quick and easy that doesn't take a lot of movement.

19. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  20. BowCommander

Dislikes Received: