So how many does Levi have?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Vabowman, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not world championships....but in his quest for the Super Slam? I didn't realize he was going for it. I am not in tune to what is going on with celeb hunters these days, but good for him, hope he gets it done.

2. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I'm more interested in how much money is invested in going for a Super Slam.

3. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Probably close to 80,000 minimum. All the plane tickets, tags, guide costs, etc. can't imagine how much it costs to hunt a polar bear. You could probably do a lot DIY but there are definitely some that would require a guide service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Knowing some one who did it years back, he told me he and about 350k in to it. Mind you that was 15 years plus ago. It today's dollar I think it would three times that.

5. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    More like several hundred thousand $

6. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah looking back 80,000 does seem way low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Wow. That is crazy for 15 years ago and today. Probably right on tripling in cost. I know a Tiburon Island sheep hunt runs around $55,000.

I'm just going to go find a cash machine.

8. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    Let's just assume your only going via an outfitter for a hypothetical cost. Also assume it takes one trip..prices taken from BSC, don't include travel and many cases tags...plus incidentals.

Black bear 2k
    Grizzly 13k
    Alaskan Brown bear 18k
    Polar bear 40 k plus over 10k travel
    5 caribou sub species....30k min
    Mountain lion 6k
    Columbia black tail 2500
    Sitka Blacktail 6500
    Mule deer 4K
    Whitetail 3 k
    Coues 3k
    Roosevelt elk 6k
    Tule elk 20k
    America elk 5k
    Mountain goat 12k
    Alaskan Yukon moose 17k
    Canada moose 6k
    Shiras moose 10k
    Muskox 7k plus that in travel
    Pronghorn 2k
    Big horn 40 k......but the tag cost?
    Dalls 20k
    Desert bighorn 50k plus
    Stone sheep 40k plus

So just under 400k without travel, and in some cases very very expensive tags, add in substantial incidental costs and assuming you kill an animal on each trip....which isn't the case. Keep in mind some hunts could be done on their own cutting some of the above costs. And some can't be done without an outfitter in some locations.....

I think if you going to do it you better figure on about a million....to be safe. However I think it can be done cheaper.
    Honestly not as bad as I first thought.

Also you have to remember that most of the guys that start thinking this direction have quite a few animals already notched ....and that starts getting them thinking towards a slam.

9. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    Something else to consider is the time this takes, if you do three or four a year your still looking at several years. I think it's easier to have the money to accomplish the super slam them it is to be able to dedicate the time it would take to complete it.

10. MAD 6

MAD 6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm sure his sponsors paid his way.

11. JustinM1887

JustinM1887 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Based on watching his show I know he's killed a mountain lion, musk ox, American bison, blacktail and obviously he's already got the elk, whitetail and I'm sure a couple others crossed off the list. I'm not too big on many of these celebrity hunters but I do like watching Levi because he sure knows what he's talking about when it comes to shooting a bow, whether that's from a tree or on the line. His "gam

12. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    Justin I think Tom Miranda did it for just under half a million.

13. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I can see already this is something that I won't be tackling very soon..........
    Who am I kidding. I won't ever tackle this.

14. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    whos Levi?

15. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    Levi Morgan. The cost of doing a slam very well may be the easiest part about it. I have read Chuck Adams' Super Slam and Tom Miranda's Quest for the Super Slam and quite frankly, I don't have the drive nor the skill to accomplish this feat. It is unbelievably hard to do. Yes, it takes money but it takes so much more. Time, effort, drive, stamina, will, patience, physical strength and most important, mental toughness. Imagine being on that frozen article circle chasing musk ox and polar bear when it is 25-50 below. I cry when it's 20 outside. Blame that on my southerness. Either way, any man that completes the slam is a true trooper.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  16. Freelance Bowhunter

Freelance Bowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The cost can vary a lot depending on how many times it takes you to bag the expensive species. Tom Miranda spent about $450,000. It could go higher if you have to take say four trips for Polar Bear at $20,000 each.

I would highly recommend Miranda's video about taking the super slam it is amazing.

17. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    I have both the book and dvd and they are very well done. I have aways liked Tom Miranda. People wiil/can say some very negative things about him and other famous bow hunters, but the reality is, many of them are good for our sport and have a deep passion for what they do.

18. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    While it would be awesome to accomplish, I just don't have the desire for all those animals to justify the cost (even though I'll NEVER be able to afford it). Levi seems like a cool dude, saw him at an ASA shoot a few years ago. I hope he gets it. I like Miranda's show documenting his slam quest too. He's done some pretty cool hunts and I feel like he is a good ambassador for the sport.

I've compiled my own personal slam list.
    Elk
    Caribou
    Yukon Moose
    Sheep
    Antelope
    Blacktail
    Mule Deer
    Coues Deer
    Black Bear

I don't care what species of Caribou or Sheep. Hell sheep alone cost a fortune and is almost certainly unrealistic. Above is a dream list and likely will not happen unless I win the lottery. I do leave next week for a coues and mule deer hunt though, so hopefully I can knock 1 off that list!

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

19. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Along with the time, something that isn't mentioned is the amount of time it takes to draw a tag for some of these animals. My uncle, after 26 years of trying, finally drew a tag this past fall for a Big Horn Sheep in Wyoming. Now granted he wanted to specifically hunt and kill on in Wyoming, it still can take several years of applying and obtaining preference points to get a tag for some animals.

20. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    Honestly if you willing to spend the money, any of the tags including the sheep tags can be had with very minimal wait time, a few years at most. However that means your willing to fork over the winning bids for auction tags or special allocation land over/ outfitter tags. The only real tag hang ups are for big horn no auction tags and if you set on a total free range bison tag.