I'm looking to do a hunt in Missouri or South Dakota

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Kyle32, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Kyle32

Kyle32 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm look for some info or help to get a hunt set up for next year ! Looking for a bow hunt do it your self for less then a 1000 with tag , does any one have a good spot to go in this state or help a guy out and give me info so I can get started to set my hunt up thanks

2. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    South Dakota has a interactive map on its fish and game website, pretty much tells you every piece of public land in the state.
    Why not do a little research on your own and narrow down general areas and from there you can ask more pointed questions, which for most part tend to get good responses here.

3. Justin21

Justin21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just speaking from experience do your research, we went on a hunt in Missouri and paid less than $1000 and was a bad experience.

4. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There are a lot of public hunting areas in Missouri. If you want to go that way there are maps and other info on the MDC website. I'm not familiar with any of the guides at all. If you were going to use public ground it is better before the orange army attacks or way late in the season on the food sources when all of the fair weather hunters stay home. JMO.

5. Freelance Bowhunter

Freelance Bowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Missouri has a lot of public land but some of it is pretty crowded. Still good bucks to be found. $225 gets you OTC tags for two deer and two turkey, one of the best bargains in nonresident hunting. Either of these states will have less hunting pressure on public land than what you see in Wisconsin.

South Dakota is a little more complicated with tags, but there is a ton of land to hunt west river, but not as many whitetails, mostly east river for whitetails, and less public land, but you can knock on doors and find a place to hunt.

The numbers of whitetails are down in both of these states due to disease, but it's still worth going. Missouri's hunting style will be more like what you are used to in Wisconsin.

Commercial Alert: Buy my book.
    http://www.bowhuntingroad.com/buy-books/#deer

6. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I can't help w. SD, but I can give you some suggestions for Missouri. Your best bet is to stay north of the Missouri river in most cases, Some land to the south is good, but when you get into the Ozarks it's pretty difficult hunting and the deer are typically much smaller compared to the deer running around up north. If you are looking to hunt public land, find land that is a good distance away from Kansas City and St. Louis. Much of that public land gets hammered pretty hard, but if you push further away from the cities, that land gets much less activity. MDC does an excellent job at managing those public lands for hunting. They provide good food sources and will typically require the farmer to leave some of the field in standing crop once they harvest.

7. ruteger

ruteger Guest

8. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  9. Kyle32

Kyle32 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have hunt a few time in Missouri through outfitter of had pretty good luck but usually I'm spending around three grand to do that

10. Kyle32

Kyle32 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I hunted Putnam and Mercer County through outfit but it didn't seem like there was a lot of public land that way

11. treyman654

treyman654 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Northern Missouri holds big deer. I Hunt Johnson County, we have prime public land in the Truman State Park/Conservation area.

If you can get a canoe and row to the other side of the lake. you will come across some of the best hunting as far as public ground goes...

Area Summary

12. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This is not the map I was looking for, but it will help you out. I believe it has every conservation area on it in the state. There used to be a file you could upload with Google Earth that was fantastic, but it seems they have pulled it from the servers so I can't access it anymore. This is the next best thing I have found.

MDC Areas

13. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you get down near the KC area give me a shout. I can point you in lots of different directions to public ground. The guys are right. You stay north of Truman Lake you'll have a chance at a big buck.

Good Luck.

14. Kyle32

Kyle32 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Foodplot19 do u have a email where I can get a in touch with u talk about the hunting a round u??