A story of perseverance...Never give up!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Matt/TN, Dec 12, 2015.

1. Matt/TN

Matt/TN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Let me start off by saying this season has been a struggle from day one. I wanted to write this for those of you out there that still haven't filled that buck tag. Maybe your optimism and drive are fading fast like mine was.

I want to start off with a little recap of my year. I have hunted EXTREMELY hard this year, like always. I'm fortunate enough to have a job that allows me to hunt a lot even though I don't technically get a lot of time off. I work a lot of 1:30p-10p shifts during hunting season and will hunt that morning. I logged over 100 hours of seat time in October and was just under 100 hours for November. Needless to say, I've put my time in. I made the decision this year I was only going to kill a 3.5+ year old buck. I also decided it was going to be bow only all year even though I rarely took my rifle the previous two years. We have a two month long gun season here and it can be very challenging to bow hunt late season because of that.

I ran cameras all summer long and just didn't have many deer at all on them. I did have a bachelor group show up at the end of August with some shooters in it but their stay was short lived. I never saw them again after these pictures. One of the smaller 8's showed up for one picture during the 3rd week of October
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

My season started off here in Northeast Tennessee with me not even laying eyes on a deer until the second week of October, which is uncharacteristic of the small place I'm fortunate enough to have permission to hunt. Usually the first two weeks are really good and it's very slow after that.

I was able to take a doe on October 14th on public land that I was very proud of

[​IMG]

Probably the best week I had as far as sightings go was October 17th-24th or so. I saw about a dozen or more deer from stand which was more than I had seen all year up until that point. I passed on a couple 1.5 and 2.5 year old bucks.

[​IMG]

Fast forward to mid November and I had gotten drawn for a two day hunt in Oak Ridge. The dates of the hunt were November the 14th and 15th. I scouted hard the weekend prior and found a fantastic spot close to where I had hunted in the past. I had a fantastic weekend and saw 4 separate mature bucks. It was the best two days I've ever spent in a tree stand. If didn't have a happy ending though. I shot this buck on Sunday morning, a solid 3.5 year old

[​IMG]

Apparently I had bumped my bow at some point and my arrow landed a solid 6-8 inches front where my pin was when the shot broke (later confirmed it was the rest). The bow was hitting 3.5-4" right at 20 yards and I shot him at 40. I shot him on Sunday morning at 10am and knew I needed to leave him overnight. Unfortunately that wasn't an option because it's a two day only hunt and you can't get back in after that. I had to take up the trail about 4pm. I ended up jumping the buck about 4:30, 6.5 hours after the shot. Here's a picture of where I hit him. I was to the right of the camera but the hit was straight guts, I missed the liver.

[​IMG][​IMG]

I was devastated, plain and simple. I felt awful. I had never lost a deer with my bow. I especially hated it because I had no doubt that had I been able to leave the deer overnight like I wanted to and usually would have done, he would have most likely been laying in his bed 150yds from the shot. I couldn't really make myself get back into the woods for several days.

I finally did get back in the stand after about a week and a half and saw several deer the last week of November but no shooters on camera or seen from stand.

Fast forward the Thursday, December 10th. I hadn't seen a deer at all in 8 days. I still haven't seen a shooter all season at my home property and haven't had any pictures. I hunt about 6-7 wooded acres of a 50 acre block of timber.

I woke up late but still managed to get settled into my Summit and all the gear/camera gear set up about 30 minutes before shooting light. I had dozed off for a few minutes in the dark and finally woke up right as it was breaking daylight. I could see about 10-15 yards when I heard the unmistakable sound of a very deep buck grunt at about 40 yards. He let out a total of 3 grunts. I responded with two. I could now here him walking and as he got closer I could tell there was more than one deer. It's now about 7:10 and legal shooting light was around 7:05 but I still couldn't see them. Finally, a deer pops out 25 yards from me, I could tell it was a doe. It was too dark for the camera and they were on the opposite side of the tree from my camera. For some unknown reason, I hadn't even grabbed my bow. About 5 yards behind her was the buck. It was still a little too dark to make out his head gear but I could see his right main beam was long and the body told me he was no doubt mature.

So like a dummy, I reach for my bow, not even paying attention to the doe. She pegs me immediately. She's staring a hole thru me and stomping but I don't move (other than the uncontrollable shaking). She finally somewhat dismisses the threat and continues on. The buck however, skirts where she was standing, which takes him on the fringe of being in range. I moved my sight to 35 as I eyeballed my only lane I could make it happen. I draw my bow, knowing he's a little further than I thought he would be, as he enters the lane I stop him. I start aiming a little high and pulling, just as the bow fires he takes a step forwards and towards me kind of. Crap. I immediately knew the hit wasn't going to be great.

I wait an hour and check the arrow. My suspicions were confirmed, I hit him back. Immediately, I decide to wait at least 6 hours before considering taking up the track. I couldn't help but think back to 3.5 weeks prior.

Luckily I had some things I needed to do so that kept me busy. I got back to the impact sight after a 7.5 hour wait. A 75-100 yard blood trail led me his first bed, followed by his second 5 yards away and I found him laying in the 3rd about 20 yards from the second. Yes! Immediately, I could tell he was a better deer than I thought he was even though he has broken his main beam off right past the G2. His body was by far the biggest of any deer I have taken which is surprising due to the fact we had such a poor mast crop. He dressed at 154lbs which is REALLY big for this area. I believe he's a 4.5 year old. He's at least 3.5. I'm VERY happy with him and feel blessed to have been able to take him.

Those of you that are still chasing that buck, get out there! There's still time

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Great story with great pics. Congrats.

3. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome story.

4. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Great story, congrats Matt, awesome Buck!

5. Matt/TN

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys!

I have another buck tag as well that I'm going to attempt to fill in the late season.

6. T FERG

T FERG Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good job man.

7. bowhuntingbebout

bowhuntingbebout Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome story! Congrats on that buck!

8. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Matt, this is an awesome post. Im one of those guys still trying to fill my buck tag. GREAT buck!

9. Matt/TN

Dislikes Received:
    Hopefully it helps put a little wind back in everyone's sails that's still out there grinding away! It's still very possible, those bucks are still there. Your tactics may have to change some but you have to keep after it.

Even though I've always had pretty good luck in December, the possibility of me not being able
    to tag a mature buck this year was starting to creep in my head. I was really doubting myself after losing that buck. It was honestly the lowest point in my hunting career. Having it on film didn't make it any better! I've watched that film at least 50 times.

Killing that buck doesn't take that awful memory away. The thought of that buck laying out there dead because of my arrow and I couldn't get him is sickening. Everyone says it happens, and it does if you do this long enough but I just think it's unacceptable.

Thank you everyone for the kind words. I'm still out there grinding away too! I was wanting to do a write up like this but wasn't sure where to start, what to cover, etc. I left some details out but I love the thought of maybe helping someone out just by reading my story.

10. norseman112

norseman112 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good buck and way to hang in there.

John

11. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    first off congrats. good read. secondly, from what I see, that shot is not a bad one, maybe not perfect, but still good enough... I may be looking at it wrong, but I killed with much worse than that. Thirdly, stop beating yourself up. it sucks you lost one, and unfortunately, it likely won't be your last. Don't take that the wrong way, you can do everything right, but they don't follow the script sometimes and that can't be controlled. It is part of this game my friend. Have a great Christmas!

12. Mr.O

Mr.O Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats! Nice buck and great pictures.

13. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the great write up. Congratulations on a great deer.

14. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats!!! I'm in the same boat you were in b4 you bagged this Awesome buck. I think I'm going to get out Mon,Tues,Wed of next week. Supposed to cool off by 30 degrees so hopefully that might shake things. Hunting a new property that is in a prime area so hopefully the change will do me good.

15. Lung Buster

Lung Buster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on a nice buck!! Way to stay after it!

16. kb1785

kb1785 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Way to stay after it and Congrats. We strive to do the right thing and make the most ethical shot possible but things do happen, sights get bumped off, a twig deflects an arrow slightly, your bulky jacket sleeve catches your string and on and on. It has bothered me immensely when it happens and we should feel bad because we respect the animal that we are chasing. But it does happen and when it does learn from the mistakes and move on.

17. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats man.

I am not sure I would ever hunt somewhere that I couldn't get back int to track a deer (the first 2 day hunt place). I gave up hunting a very good spot once because it was small and the neighbor is an anti. She refused me permission to track a deer I hit one year and it was lost. It's just not worth the risk on those types of properties.

18. Xoutdoors

Xoutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    that's a nice buck

19. jackflap

jackflap Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congratulations.

20. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Great story. Nice buck.