How can I tell if it's the same deer from last year?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Keep_Calm_And_Bowhunt, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Keep_Calm_And_Bowhunt

Keep_Calm_And_Bowhunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would just like to know how I could identify deer year after year. Most of the deer here are pretty standard as they come, like either they're tall or wide, but not have any crazy antlers that you could clearly tell that it's the same one. I got a picture of a wide 8 pointer last year, and I think I got a picture of him this year, because he's a wide 8 point, but has longer tines and more mass than last year.

Just something fun that I could do while going through my pictures over the years, see how much they can grow.

2. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Comparing antler traits and seeing development into a more mature body is about the best you can go on. You might also get lucky with traveling patterns. Some deer tend to go to the same areas during specific times of the year, like the rut, which might help in identifying a buck. For instance, I hunt a small 9 acre piece of property and I do have about 10-15 deer who frequent my property on a daily basis which I could pick out of a lineup. But occasionally I'll get pictures of a really nice buck a few days out of the year (during the rut) and then don't see pictures of him again until around the same time again the next year.

3. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Was just thinking the same thing myself. Back in 2007 I shot my biggest buck bow hunting a 9pt. My Brother-in-law shot a 9pt that had an identical rack except it was slightly smaller earlier during rifle season. I think they were either litter mates or a year separated but from the same lineage. If we had let them both go and they grew, it would be pretty hard to tell them apart a year or two later.

All I can say is, unless there is some unique trait all we can do is make our best guess.

4. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't rely on headgear. I look for facial/hair markings. I had a buck I watched grow up that had 2 white oval throat patches and long brow tines. At 4 years old he was about a 130" and I let him walk a few times. We had a very early spring that year. At 5 he was only about a 120" class. We had a very late spring that year. My guess less nutrition/time to grow antlers. That year the neighbor shot him. He was surprised to see the video of the year before when he was bigger. I had a buck with a floppy left ear. One had a think black stripe down the middle of it's back and very light tan legs like he was wearing knee socks. This year I saw a very large spike several times. It has no white on it other than the face and lower legs. He also had a thin black mohawk about 6-7" long. I am sure I will recognize him next fall.

5. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So far these are the exact same things I use to identify bucks. I do the same thing, minus the rack, with does. There are a few that just know where you are. They look everytime that I'm there.
    Other than that you might check their serial number. lol I know it is cheesy but I had too.

6. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well of course notches in the ears, scars, or double throat patches are the most solid indicators, but many deer don't have those things. For most deer you don't have a choice but to rely on antler characteristics or yearly age progression.

7. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If they fall over laughing at you the same way that they did last year should be a good clue.

8. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Most have hit on it with looking for anything out of the ordinary that could help clue you in. Splits in ears, the double throat patch Spear mentioned, hurt foot, etc.. Other than that you are stuck with antler characteristics to help you decide.

9. ruteger

ruteger Guest

Upload the pics and people will tell you what they think.