DYI Colorado Elk Hunt How To

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by 130Woodman, Dec 4, 2015.

1. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    DIY Colorado Elk Hunt How To

So you say you want to do it yourself elk hunt in Colorado but have no clue on where to start? I have done a number of do it yourself hunts in Colorado with above average success and have killed many bulls in Colorado. I will go through some of the steps I do when looking for a new area to hunt, remind you that I have lived in and visited Colorado often. I’ll try to lay out what needs to be done like I was never there.

Finding an area to hunt is probably going to be the toughest decision without ever stepping foot in the state. There is a ton of data available on-line to help narrow down your search and I’ll try to include everything I can think of to help in the decision process. I would have 2-3 areas picked out that I would consider hunting if there’s no elk or something else happens it’s good to have a backup. How I would go about finding those areas is by using Google it is your best friend right now, Colorado has a plethora of information for the novice to expert elk hunter
    [​IMG]

Start here: http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=0aca89770b2446578c26eba9e4b1a4a1
    The elk population map per management area is one of the best tools out there to start your search. Obviously the higher the population the better your chances are, since they have the management areas in the map it makes it easy to cross reference the GMU to see if there is any restrictions on tags for the area.

[​IMG]

Then here: http://databasin.org/datasets/d20d677ff15440c2b02033fa3355517b
    The elk migration map in conjunction with the population map helps you decide on where to hunt in each season. The earlier in the year you want to hunt from where they start their migration and work towards where they migrate to. Usually elk will winter in a lower area filled with grasses and other vegetation. Use Google earth along with the migration map and you can usually figure out their travel pattern.

[​IMG]

After this exhaustive internet search you have it narrowed down to 2 or 3 spots but you don’t know how you want to access it. Again you have to let your fingers do the work and start searching local hiking and 4X4 forums for way to access the area you would like to hunt. Find an area that has access either by trail head or 4x4 road to the hunting area, remember packing out an elk is a major chore and the farther you hike in the further you have to pack it out. In most areas there is a horse ranch that will either pack out your elk for you or rent you horses by the day. After you find the areas you would like to hunt do your secondary search for horse rentals, camping sites and hotels. Most state and federal land you can camp in along the access roads but look more into it once you have your spots picked out.

[​IMG]

Get yourself a BLM map, this map will show all the public and private land in the areas you choose to hunt. If there are any questions or concerns you have before you enter an area the BLM office is very helpful just give them a call and have the area numbers handy which are printed on the map and they will walk you through any questions. Well worth the money. http://www.blm.gov/co/st/en/BLM_Resources/public_room/map_info.html

So you have found your spot and a backup spot now what? Get on Google Earth and start taking virtual tours of the area, other than large tracks of timber I’m looking for meadows, water, and easy travel routes for me and the elk. If you see a meadow surrounded by pine trees that would be a good place to start your search when you finally arrive. Water is going to be the other key ingredient for success, I look for areas the water is going to make shallow pools for wallows. Google earth in conjunction with topo maps can tell you almost everything you need to know about the terrain. Without ever being in Colorado the use of maps is essential for laying the ground work once you have it all mapped out when you get there your scouting duties will be that much easier.

[​IMG]

You have your spot and you are trying to decide on when to go, Colorado’s season structure is pretty much the same every year and most of the tags are over the counter but check the Game Management Unit number to see if there is any special restrictions. Archery season typically runs from the last week in August to the last week in September. I like to go the last week of the season, you have the best chance of the rut being on and the elk bugling. If you want to up your odds and go with the gun the first rifle season is usually a draw which you have to apply for by early April. The rest of the seasons have been over the counter where available. Check the http://cpw.state.co.us/thingstodo/Pages/BigGameDatesandFees.aspx

You have made the drive and got your license, checked into your hotel or set up a camp somewhere and you are ready to hunt. Grab your gear and start your trek up the mountain, this is where all the map work comes into play. A gps with a mapping feature is a great tool for this kind of hunting, you can have all the points and even your route mapped and ready to go. I suggest you go out the first time when it is daylight hiking in unfamiliar territory in the dark is not recommended. You find the meadow that you scouted on google earth, don’t walk out into the meadow skirt around it looking for elk droppings, rubs, beds, something that says the elk are using this area. This is scouting but you’re also hunting, you have to find the elk to kill them, they are a herd animal not like whitetails. What I have learned over many years of hunting it’s frustrating trying to find 1 or 2 elk in 10,000 acres. Find the herd it may take lots of hiking and sore feet but when you find them you’ll know.
    [​IMG]

There are many ways to hunt elk and by no means am I an expert so this is where the tutorial ends, I wish you all the best of luck and happy hunting.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  2. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What a great treatise on elk hunting. Very well laid out with great resources.

3. kcruz35

kcruz35 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    thank you so much for all this info. I have been considering trying a DIY hunt in colorado for a while and just never knew where to start.

4. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    After many failed attempts to do this, I hope to get out there next September. I am going to AZ for a mule/coues deer hunt in a few weeks.

If I don't switch jobs (interviewed a few weeks ago) before next Sept, I WILL be chasing bugles in the Rockies!

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

5. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

It's not a fun trip at all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. soccerdan90

Dislikes Received:
    Look up the Colorado elk hunt invite thread. I went to this camp in 2014 and am going back next year. Will makes it easy by providing a camp and getting groceries.

7. soccerdan90

Dislikes Received:
    And I just saw that you are from Alabama. A member here lives down there and I believe he's going again next year. Could save on gas costs. His username is patinthehat

8. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Great post, I went threw similiar steps when preparing for my first elk hunt this September. I ended having great success, taking a big 6 x 6 on the first day.

9. ganderss2424

ganderss2424 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    amazing info woodman. I'm planning my first Colorado elk hunt right now with a couple buddies for next year. this thread couldn't have come at a better time for me! Very well laid out and written up. many thanks.

10. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Dude it didn't happen with a picture........

11. bradn4201

bradn4201 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What is the cost on doing that? Just anyone can go?

12. soccerdan90

Dislikes Received:
    Pay for tag, has out there, portapotty rental, and everyone chips in for gas. That's it.

13. soccerdan90

Dislikes Received:
    Meant to quote you in my last post.

14. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Mater, is DYI in Wisconsin the same as DIY everywhere else? :D

15. 2BBuckHunter

2BBuckHunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome! Thank You!

16. ruteger

ruteger Guest

Great post. I don't plan on ever hunting CO elk, but I still appreciate the time you put into this for those who have the ambition. You're a true sportsman! Thank you

17. kcruz35

kcruz35 Newb

Dislikes Received:

I will have to check that out. DO people have good success on these hunts? I'm fairly new to bow hunting, so thinking i can get an elk after only a year may be a stretch but it sounds fun just to head out to another state and hunt.

18. soccerdan90

Dislikes Received:
    It is a VERY tough hunt. No guarantees. It's not guided but guys help others out. I only saw 1 elk while there but the friendships I made and the scenery I saw was worth the cost. Got to see 2 moose at under 20 yards.

You could also apply for a mule deer tag. They were plentiful in the area.

19. kcruz35

kcruz35 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds awesome! Any Idea how much I should plan on saving between the tags, gas, food, camp, etc?

20. soccerdan90

Dislikes Received:
    My whole trip cost 2000 give or take. But that included a dozen arrows, boots, a cot, sleeping bag, binos, and a lot more gear. An elk tag is 600 and I drove my parents Toyota and from Iowa to there and back I spent 180 in gas. I will be going in my truck next year though. It would help a lot if you found a carpool. If you got anymore questions just pm me so we don't hijack the ops thread.

Which is a great read btw!