How can I use google earth to my advantage?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by ernmcburn, Dec 3, 2015.

1. ernmcburn

ernmcburn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I want to find some new spots to hunt on my uncles property and was wondering;How can using google earth help you hunt? Like while using it, what should you look for? I use bait in all of my spots, and I want to find the deer, not really make the deer find me. Because if you think about it, baiting is the deer hunting you, not you hunting them. So what should I look for on that property for a somewhat easy setup?

2. Zweibarrt

Zweibarrt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use google earth to try and find access points, travel corridors, property lines, edge areas, and generally better understand the terrain. I also mark spots with my garmin, then download the waypoints onto google earth. That helps me better relate what I see on the ground to what I see on the sattelite imagery.

3. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Funnels and pinch points are generally a go to for me when scouting a new area with google maps. If I cant find these areas by topo I look for field edges or natural funnels, like valleys.

4. blueicefire

blueicefire Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be hunting for the first time in 20 years next year. I used to google earth to help find locations, then was able to get permission on land I found. Now I'm using it to get general ideas of where I want to look when I get to scouting it out. Seeing if it matches which what I'm seeing on google, then taking from the feet on the ground.

5. doepatrol2000

doepatrol2000 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
  6. Bobby_OA

Bobby_OA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We actually just wrote a lengthy article about using google and google earth to help with your hunting. I'll post a link once its live.

7. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Really all about transitions, if you drew lines on a map at every vegetation transition the hot spots would be where these line cross or get close to one another. Deer love edges.

8. axtell343

axtell343 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have been doing some research on this same as you,trying to use google earth to my advantage. Here are some links that helped me.
    http://wiredtohunt.com/2014/08/13/using-terrain-and-topography-to-deer-hunt-new-properties-fast/
    http://www.bowsite.com/bowsite/features/practical_bowhunter/topos/
    http://www.othmarvohringer.com/hunting_tips/articles/Deer/Mapping_Out_Deer_Hunting_Success.html
    One of the most important things you can do is corroborate what you find in the field and mark the heck out of your map. Mark creek beds, scrape lines, deer sightings and whatever else seems important.

If you have an Iphone, and service in your hunting spot,you can use an app that can show your location via satalite imaging, such as the "find my iphone app" you can take screenshots of where you are exactly on the map so you know where to mark the google earth map when you get back home.
    Here is an example of the property I hunt, the saddle (the low point between the two hills) creates a sort of highway for the deer. Instead of trudging up a hill and exposed they can covertly sneak between both hills undetected

as a creek bed and an old logging road run directly through it. the creek runs directly through the only large patch of pine trees in this area, and there also happens to be several crop fields a couple hundred yards away.I haven't scouted this property much, but I feel confident that the deer are going to be using that creek bed to move between the fields and pines throughout the day.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
  9. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Use Google to find a sporting goods store, buy some boots, then put leather on the ground and find the sign.

Kidding, these guys have given you good advice. I honestly use it when looking at public land spots I try to find areas far enough from parking spots that hopefully others won't go to.

10. knoxjonboat

knoxjonboat Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I use a combination of topo maps and google maps. I don't feel like google earth makes that much difference. Once I find a coordinate for a saddle or pinch point, or I find sign while hunting, I enter the coordinates into my iPhone using an App called "explorer for ARCgis". Even if going in blind to a new area, you can get very close to where you want to be while using this App while walking to your stand.

Also use your county or state's GIS system to find property lines. While these are not always 100% accurate, they will let you know when you are getting close to a border. They will also let you know who the listed owners are of property around you.

11. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Inside corners of river bends are pretty good locations to find bedding areas, but is there anything else that can be seen on google earth that might point to a bedding area?

12. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I generally look for thick cover around transition areas for bedding areas. So far I have been correct but I know that they bed other places on our property.

13. knoxjonboat

knoxjonboat Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Bedding area is tough, but generally look for cover, where you think it's the thickest. That's where using satellite images of google maps comes in handy. Also, some properties on google maps are summer time pics, some are fall/winter. If you want to see a different season, try using Bing maps. They may have a different picture. I prefer winter time satellite images. You are able to see where the cover is when everything else is gone.

14. ybohunt

ybohunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  15. ybohunt

ybohunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    And as with most other things Youtube is a great source.

16. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    GE is a tremendous tool. I use it in conjunction with my GPS app (MotionX GPS). I can mark sign, stand & camera locations, overlay topo maps, my county's platt information and property boundaries, I can download tracks of my access trail or blood trails, outline new features like clearcuts & burns, scout for soft edges like changes in timber... really it's uses are nearly endless.

Using it over time with on the ground scouting is a fantastic way to learn to ID hot spots in new areas. Heck, you can even see deer trails in swampy or grassy areas.

GE pretty much runs in the background of my computer year round.

[​IMG]

Here's part of my journal thread that shows a glimpse of how I like to use it.

http://forums.bowhunting.com/showth...5-Season-Journal-Thread?p=1147063#post1147063

17. TheRiverBottom

TheRiverBottom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    One of my favorite uses is measuring distance and area.