Worse than a child???

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by tacklebox, Nov 12, 2015.

1. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So... last year I took on the challenge of helping a guy I know learn how to bowhunt. He had "hunted" before, and by hunted I mean sit by the back pasture during gun season and unload on the first thing that moves.
    Now I have taught a couple youngsters to hunt... pretty easy in comparison I'd say. It became apparent pretty quick that this guy had about zero knowledge of the woods. He was however a decent shot with the bow.

He was always there to help though, hang stands, cut lanes, etc. ALOT more than other guys who have wanted to hunt with me in the past. After many many lessons on wind, not smelling like he is going on a date when I pick him up to hunt (SMH) he was slowly starting to figure it out, still it was pretty trying at times having him in the field with me. My favorite text from him this season was "Man those turkeys sure are loud this morning, a lot of them flyin around" I replied... simply... those are pheasants lol

So anyway I will cut to the chase, he had yesterday off work, I had things to do in the office and considering the wind I didn't want to burn the vacation day. So I told him IMO it would be best he didn't hunt from a tree and he should stick to the ground. I really didn't want him taking his first shot at an animal with a bow while fighting a 40+ mile an hour wind 20ft up a tree. Well he took my advice and hunted right where I sent him in the morning, saw some deer but no shots. About 230 pm I get a text saying he is covered up in deer and "stuck" in the tree... sigh... he is in a stand.. smh oh well

At 515 my phone rings, the text messages are coming in faster than I can respond. "I HIT HIM" "Bloody arrow" BBD etc lol So I call him up and attempt to get a run down.

My lovely wife kindly offers to finish dinner and get the kids to church so I can go track the deer. I get to the scene of the crime and don't like what I see.... arrow is covered but the blood is very dark. I know right away the hit was not what he thought as he was certain the shot was great lol I told him it looked like liver or muscle and he may be in for a long night, but we would have a quick look. The buck had run up a tilled field.... No blood to be found, nothing. I told him we would look for 100 yds well at 100 I find a couple drops, I follow the very faint drops another couple 100 yds before losing blood all together. So I tell him its time to call it off for the evening. As I was marking the last blood I noticed a heavy running track making a hard left into the shelter belt so I told him to stay put and I would take a quick look that way for blood... I didn't see any nor did the leaf litter appear disturbed. As I turned to head back to him I gave a cursory look up the tree line with my light and about 40 yds up there lay his buck...:)

I was spot on about the hit... and about him hunting the tree in the wind. Shot was high and back catching liver, entering through backstrap just missing the spine and exiting very low. The severe angle with the deer being so close was his saving grace.

He learned a few more lessons last night :) He also killed his first deer with a bow and a dandy one at that. I have been telling myself that if he could get it done all the aggravation would be worth it and it is :)

2. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
  3. TheRiverBottom

TheRiverBottom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wow. Sounds like you're one hell of a teacher. Bad shots happen...can't really hold that against him.

4. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
    Sure bad shots happen, but had he not been 20 ft up in a 45 mph wind he likely would have made a MUCH better shot

5. RCW3D

RCW3D Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's a dandy of a buck! Congrats to him!

6. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Where do I sign up for lessons?

7. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I find children are better learners. :) I'd say he did great and looks like he will really have is work cut out for him next year. :p

8. Taylor.S

Taylor.S Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Man that's a really nice first buck with a bow. Congrats to you and the guy that shot him.

9. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
    He did pretty good Jason, even held out and passed a couple chip shots on 2.5 yr old deer even though I know he really wanted to shoot them lol

He even saved the big boy for me to hunt lmao

10. bradn4201

bradn4201 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  11. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
    For those interested I did a real quick pull of the tape last night... he should gross just shy of 160

12. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
  13. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You sound more enabler than instructor, did you gut it for him too?

14. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
    lol... ok..

No I didn't, but I did let him use my Havalon. Enabling him to make an easy cut :)

15. boof

boof Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Can I come hunt with you now? :)

16. RugerRedbone

RugerRedbone Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Awfully good of you to teach your buddy. I had a good friend do the same for me when I first picked up a bow, now over a decade later he is still the best hunting partner I've got.

17. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's exactly why I said he has his work cut out for him next year. You should have made him shoot the first buck that presented a shot. One of those 2.5 year olds.... Now he is going to have unrealistic expectations in the years to come. YOU ARE A VERY BAD TEACHER TJ!!! :p lol!

18. emgepi

emgepi Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's a real nice buck period, let alone for his first one. I'm glad to hear that it all worked out.

19. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
    You know those youngins are off limits lol Unless of course its a youngin shooting....

20. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Another newb with a bigger buck than any I've taken....bahaha! Tell him congrats man!