Question about when to stand?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by GmBlows9, Nov 8, 2015.

1. GmBlows9

GmBlows9 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So a buddy of mine took me hunting tonight! He sat across a field from me but could see me through his Binocs! I saw a shooter buck about 100 yards away through tall thick brush and woods. The debate is if you are sitting down when you spot the deer do you stand ASAP while the deer is far away or do you wait till you are ready to draw to stand! I always stand as soon as I feel I can without being seen or herd because I feel when the deer is closer it would have a better chance to catch you. Your thoughts! He got pretty P off I stood early I thought he was wrong! Thanks for the help!!!!

2. kahneyjd

kahneyjd Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I always stand as soon as I see an animal if possible. Don't want to be put in a bad position by waiting.

3. GmBlows9

GmBlows9 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks I agree I couldn't understand his reasoning

4. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It all depends on situation. If there are chances where the deer would get behind cover wait for the better time, if those chances are few or far between, I'd get up with as much distance between me and the deer.

One thing to remember is deer don't always follow our plans and may turn and move a different direction where all of a sudden we have to make big adjust and the closer you are to your shooting position the easier that adjustment would be.

5. Polecatmasten

Polecatmasten Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I stand most of the time anyway, but waiting till you see something would be fine. I would rather do it with the animal at 100 yards than trying to not get busted at 20. Fast movement is what will get you caught. I will try and see what I can get buy with some days. Wait till an old doe or small buck is @ 20-30 yds, I will even draw my bow and settle the pin on them with out shooting.
    I will get caught once in a while, but it will keep my finely honed skills sharp..jk
    Happy hunting

[​IMG]

6. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It would depend on situation and cover. Also where the deer is looking and acting.

I've shot all my deer sitting down. I know most people probably stand. I stand if I think I will have to make a shot far to my right which doesn't work well being right handed.

7. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This question always makes me wonder why they don't make stands with higher seat heights? Like a low bar stool so you sitting and only have to put your feet down to be standing rather than raising your entire body.

8. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot my deer while seated. No need to stand. I think you are far more likely to get spotted while standing. When seated the tree breaks up your silhouette.

9. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I usually stand most of the time, I always kinda felt more comfortable shooting while standing. Also feel like blend into the tree more standing with seat folded up and backed as close to tree as I can get.

10. Drivingtacks

Drivingtacks Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I stand as soon as the opportunity presents itself after I see the animal. But I always stand the first hour of the morning and the last hour at night. that way I'm ready during prime time.

11. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Tell the friend to quit wasting his time being concerned about what is happening in a stand other than his.

12. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Your buddy would hate me because I stand probably 50% of the time anyway due to back issues.

13. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I stand as much as I possibly can...unless limited cover I'll sit to lower my overall movements, especially should I only have shots to front and left...to the right blocked.

That said, nothing natural in the woods rises really....except an animal climbing or a bird flying. Leaves fall, branches fall, nuts fall, everything goes with gravity more than not...so picking the time to stand is crucial as it will not be a normal motion if caught.

14. Longdraw

Longdraw Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I try to stand most of the time. Being 6'8" I have a looong way to stand. I just got busted Sun as I stood by a spike that was 50 yards away thru thick cover. Granted I did not see him but the moving blew any chance of even watching him.
    Stand when U think it's best.
    I like the practicing all the shot movements on deer you don't plan on ever shooting.

15. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I always sit.

16. Cledus

Cledus Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think it depends more on what the situation is: stand placement, environment, time of day, etc. If you are on the edge of a field and a deer is 100 yards away in that field and you stand up odds are they can still see the movement. I like to shoot while sitting, so I set my stands up where I think the deer will travel providing me with sitting shots from 7 to 12 o'clock. Obviously this won't always work out.

17. TheRiverBottom

TheRiverBottom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I stand as soon as the opportunity to do so without risk of being spotted presents itself. Last year I was in a texting war with the old lady...looked up and had a buck at 30 yds...waited until he was 10 yds away before I stood. They might have eyes in the back of their heads, but they don't have them on top.