2015 Season in a Nutshell.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by 130Woodman, Nov 1, 2015.

1. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I came into the 2015 hunting season like most of us with anticipation and hopes of having a good season. I set up for the opener of the Wisconsin archery season and soon realized that some ghosts from last year were still haunting me. I have had some family issues that made leaving the house a chore and after 3 sits my heart wasn't into whitetail hunting. Hunting has always bought me solace in the past but wasn't working anymore so I packed my bags for a last minute elk hunt in Colorado where I was supposed to meet up with friends but after a 16 hour drive and a couple hour nap I was in this meadow at the base of hill where there was Elk sign everywhere. An hour and a half later this happened.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I packed it out the next morning and dove the 16 hours home. Great hunting trip in terms of getting and animal but for a Colorado adventure it was a little lackluster. Back home in Wisconsin preparing for the Illinois opening weekend came and went uneventful but the same feelings that I shouldn't be there were still there. I came to the conclusion that I should just quit hunting this year but when I wasn't hunting I felt like I should be, talk about being conflicted. My wife said I should should take it day by day and not force hunting but just go when it feels right.With that advice and two weeks off the time was right. I went out on Sunday night with good friend Mike with me, we made our way to the farm with a brief pit stop to see Justin's buck.This night was a beautiful night and for the first time in over a year I enjoyed a sit. I had a buck come in just after sunset, he made a scrape at the bottom of the stand when he finished he took a few steps and gave me a 10 yard shot. The stand is over 25 feet high and being close I miss judged where to hold and hit him high, he dropped instantly, while I went to grab another arrow he got up and ran for about 40 yards and stood there until it was to dark to see. I got down and started the track job that went into the next day with no pot of gold at the end of the blood trail. Here is a picture of what looks like the buck I shot it was taken the following morning a 100 yards from the stand.
    [​IMG]

I did all I could do to find him but I figured I would go out there on Friday to see if the birds were circling or crows crowing but there was nothing going on. I get up in the stand around 3 just in time for the rain to begin, as I enjoy a good rain after 2 hours I had about enough of it. Good thing I had my phone so I could see the radar and knew it was going to end. About a half an hour after the rain ended I rattled pretty aggressively until I look over to the neighbors property and here come one the the biggest bucks that we have on camera, he got within 40 yards and stopped, he stood there looking in my direction for a minute and didn't like what he saw and left. A couple minutes later I look in the same direction and there stands a 11 point, he works his way over to the fence but will not hop it. 5 yards away might as well been 500 at this point, he just wouldn't jump the fence as he leaves I look over there is a smaller 8 point taking the same route the 11 just did. As I was watching him I had another buck sneak up behind me, he was a shooter but he picked me off when I tried to draw my bow. Still one of the best nights I have ever had in the woods.

This brings us to Halloween night I got into the stand about 2:45 and get situated and decide to hit the horns together around 3. As I'm rattling I look over my shoulder and a spike is standing there looking at me, I keep rattling and look to my left and here come a shooter but he holds up at 40 yards no shot. As I'm watching him another buck comes in, they both look at each other and take off in opposite directions. I text Enders the guy I was hunting with what happened, he answered something smart then I look over and the 3rd buck is coming back for more. I heart shot him at 30 yards and he ran towards me and died at the bottom of my tree. The next text to Enders was the picture of the buck and he was like are you messing with me? That text was sent at 3:15.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not the biggest buck I saw all year but I'm happy on a different level then normal with this buck. I would like to thank the guys I hunt with for the support and I wish them all the best of luck and I'll be there to help drag out any buck that gets shot. Also I want to thank Justin for giving up the spot on the lease so I could get on it.

2. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats Dan!

3. ruteger

ruteger Guest

Congratulations on the elk and buck! I almost quit hunting a few years ago after having a treestand accident, and my wife told me the same thing (to just wait to hunt until it feels right). It took a while, but I got back out there. Just takes some time sometimes and I'm glad you found your time. Thanks for sharing your story so I could relate a little in my mind

4. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats buddy, wish I could have been there to help drag last night!

5. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Way to go, Danny boy!!!!

6. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Nice job, Mater!

Poor Enders is watching everyone around him kill deer while he plays on his phone all day. :lol:

7. jasamb08

jasamb08 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure what the home situation is but I have been there. I have struggled with even being able to sit in the stand. I have a pretty awesome place to hunt where I have killed many deer including a couple of 170" plus bucks. However I don't see a lot of deer throughout the season. This gives me time to reflect on home issues and clear my head. At times I have thought of not hunting. This year I have seen 3 deer. one doe I shot. I think overall my relationship with God and my emotional and physical health have all come together making every part of life enjoyable. Have fun and hunt, but make sure God, home, then hunting.

8. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for sharing your story.
    Those are both nice animals!

9. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats Dan! You're having a great year :tu:

10. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on a great season even if it hasn't been all ups.

11. Shane0709

Shane0709 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That's awesome! Congrats man

12. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    Congratulations Bro!!