What would you do, ethics guys.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Aaron, Oct 31, 2015.

1. Aaron

Aaron Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So I've never run into this, and I'm hoping as a selfish hunter, I'm over reacting, but I have a trail camera set up less than 30 yards from one of my stands on private property that I hunt (the only one that has permission to hunt it). The camera is not mine nor did I put it there.

Now I'm hoping that close by neighbors that I'm "fairly" good acquaintances with have put it there, just to get some pictures of what is around, no harm intended, they know I hunt here. If that's the case a camera isn't worth losing good neighbors, neither of us own the land in question.

But the other part of me wants to get to the bottom of this. I'm not taking the camera so don't suggest it. I have however thought about "borrowing" the card for my own benefit overnight, that's probably wrong too, but it might let me know who the camera belongs to and maybe even some bonus footage/pictures of some deer, that may or may not get deleted from the card.... I don't have a portable card reader, I always use mini sd cards in my camera and check them on my phone. If no evidence is found, my only other choice is to start asking neighbors, and that's kind of awkward. I did remove the bottom 3 steps out of my stand as a precaution, that may be the only thing I can really do until I catch someone red handed.

Just making some conversation.

Hope everyone is doing well and is having a good season!

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

2. Mckaax

Mckaax Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Stand in front of it with a sign that read please call or text me. Leave your number and walla

3. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I definitely check the card and maybe put your own lock box with a note saying to ring you up.

4. Michael.herb

Michael.herb Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Why not start with asking the neighbors what they know about it. You said you had a good relationship with them so maybe ask if they've seen someone around there or something.
    If it's not my land I wouldn't want to take the card even with permission to hunt the land. If the neighbors and owners don't know anything about it, then see about finding out who it belongs to.

5. Aaron

Aaron Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah probably not a bad I idea, we get along, but just knocking on someone's door and asking if they have a camera up beside my tree stand would be awkward, and possibly confrontational, depending on how they take it.

I may just leave well enough alone unless it becomes a direct issue to me.

6. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Is it pointing toward your stand?

7. Aaron

Aaron Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No out in the field on a trail. My stand is about 30 yards back in the woods on the same trail.

8. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Put a camera on the camera, higher up.

9. Aaron

Aaron Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not a bad idea at all... Seems if the were thieves my stand would already be gone. Might just see if I can catch them checking it.

10. Gutpile323

Gutpile323 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yep put a baseball cap over it and a camera on it but concealed.

11. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Out west here most of the hunting is on public ground. We set up 5 cameras. there off the beaten trail any where from a mile to two miles. Three years ago we had somebody put a camera on a tree next to ours where we had a stand. I was a little worried so I left a not on his camera with my number and he was good enough to call me and he explained he drew a big bull tag for the muzzle loader in the area. I archery hunt and the muzzle loader hunt is about two weeks after the bow hunt. I even sent him a couple pictures of a couple bulls.

12. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I side with the put a note on it or whatever, as long as you have permission to go on their property, which it sounds like you do.

Otherwise it's not your camera, not your property not yours to borrow or tamper with.

As long as nothing of yours is being messed with or something to that affect sounds harmless being there.

This wasn't meant to be snotty or anything of the like. I know you've been around awhile and aren't that type person :lol:

13. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Either a note or talk with the neighbor. I wouldn't touch the cam unless I was willing to have a conversation with the landowner first.

14. NCcrittergitter

NCcrittergitter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'd check the card, leave a note with the camera with your number. If it's not gone in a week or so, then maybe ask the neighbors. Just approach it with them as you are looking out for everybody, potential trespassing. Not to mention that with gun season aproaching it could get a little dangerous.

15. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I like the leave a note idea. If it is someone that don't belong they may just remove the camera.

16. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You had me on your side until you talk about "borrowing the SD card for your own benefit".

Do you want to get to the bottom of this, or do you want to see if their cam got pics of any good bucks? I assume YOU don't have a cam out there yourself.

17. takemrarely

takemrarely Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ask the landowner if he knows whose it is...that way you let him know someone other than you is on his land....I would bet he will take care of the problem for you if he did not give permission.

18. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would dress up like bigfoot and start walking in front of the camera a ton. Perhaps, mix things up a bit and try different poses. Make yourself looks MAD or/and hungry. Either Way, the idea is that "bigfoot" isn't happy about anyone being in his woods and you better stay out. No harm done! Happy ending!