broadhead problems

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by BigEv, Oct 19, 2015.

1. BigEv

BigEv Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    well guys, i shoot my muzzy's. i am a big fan of fixed blade broadheads, and i dont want to change to mechanical because of tuning issues. at the moment, i have my bow sighted in for my broadheads. my field tips do not hit in the same place at all. i know its tuning issues, i just havent gotten around to fixing it. i cant hunt for three weeks so i decided to try to tackle the issue this evening. my broadheads will hit dead bulls eye but my field tips will high and a tad left consistently. i went out in the yard and shot. i moved my rest up a bit, and nothing really changed. i tried some more and had the same results. should i try again tomorrow because there is that chance it was user error when i was trying to tune. i never rule that one out:lol:. i just really need to get this sorted out so i can shoot anything out of my bow. i dont believe in just keeping my bow sighted in for broadheads, id like to do it the right way.

not sure if this is wrong to you guys. i shoot a bear mauler at about 72 pounds. it shoots around 307-310. i shoot easton bloodlines 400 with 100 grain tips. am i underspined?

thanks for any help you guys can come up with. i only come here because i know you guys are the best. thanks

2. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm probably not going to answer your question perfectly.
    I know the more you, as in all of us, shoot you start to fatigue which leads to inconsistencies in your accuracy.
    I went to mechanicals years ago with real good luck.
    I've done the paper tuning and all. I have to take a break or I just get frustrated.

3. doepatrol2000

doepatrol2000 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    When I used to shoot fixed blades I aligned my vanes up with my broadheads blades. Worked for me perfectly everytime and had always shot exactly like fieldpoints. Hope this helps!

4. seangarchery

seangarchery Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry I'm not the greatest at broadhead tuning, so I can't help you that much there. But I do think you are a little under spined based on your info. I think a 350 spine would be better for your setup. If you group arrows fine you might be OK thou.

5. BigEv

BigEv Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    thanks for the input guys.

6. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A 400 spine out of a 72 bow is underspined for sure. I am not saying that is your problem, but you will have more problems trying to broadhead tune a too weak arrow than one that is correct or even stiff.

7. myot

myot Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    to start off with I feel your arrow is underspined

I tune my bows the same way every year and never have a problem
    I check to make sure my arrow is square
    bareshaft tune until I get a perfect bullet hole at 6yards repeat at 15yards
    check a fletched arrow by shooting it through paper
    last I shoot my broadhead 9 times out of 10 I'm very very close but sometimes I need to make fine adjustments

Dan

8. Walbash

Walbash Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    need to tune bow. muzzy's fly great in tuned bow.

Yes on underspined is better to be over than under in regard to spine. easier to tune proper spine

walk back tune for centershot and then.....

I set up/down with my nock point to get fp and bh same height. once shooting same height up down at 20/30yd's....

then set left/right with rest till they together.

this is all after you put bow in spec ATA/dw/dl.

note.....I prefer to bareshaft tune my centershot by Yoke tuning if bow have's them.

here is good link: http://mathewsinc.com/forums-home/topic/bow-tuning-guide-updated-as-requested/

even better link: http://archeryhistory.com/archerytalk/The_Nuts&Bolts_of_Archery.pdf

9. BigEv

BigEv Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    thanks guys. thanks for the help

10. BigEv

BigEv Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    alright guys after shooting yesterday, im about ready to throw my bow off of a cliff. i was shooting my broadheads and they were hitting consistently as always. my field tips were a good four inches higher and an inch to the right. i moved my rest a tad higher and it brought the two consistently closer to about two and a half inches. i move the rest higher thinking it would fix the problem, but then the arrows shoot six inches apart. i came higher just to see what was going on, then i completely missed the target. should i be moving my d loop?

11. ybohunt

ybohunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I believe if your field tips are shooting high you need to move your rest down not up.Just go slowly and take your time,if you get frustrated just quit for the day and start tomorrow.When you get tired your form starts to fall apart and then it's really tough to tune.

12. Walbash

Walbash Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    ya move very little. move rest way ya want your broadhead to go which would be up. or d loop down.

check your blow make sure it's in spec if not it will drive ya crazy trying to tune it. spin test all arrow's before shooting and don't just sit and shoot forever because fatigue will change ya poi

solid anchor and consistent form is a must

13. Xoutdoors

Xoutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    id try the new grim reaper fatel steel mechaical heads. thell open. itll fly like a dart

14. longbowmanjimmy

longbowmanjimmy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Bring it to a pro shop brother

15. cart3r_hunt3r

cart3r_hunt3r Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Huh, I have a the same problem, I shoot muzzy 100s and 100 grain field tips. My broad heads are right on bulls eye but when I put my field tips on I'm about 2 inches high and 1 inch left.

16. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  17. Kaiser878

Kaiser878 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Whats your draw length and length of arrow? Unless you have like a 26 inch draw or something crazy(which even then you might be under spined), you are way underspined.... Almost to the point it would scare me to shoot that arrow through that bow....

18. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'll agree with those that mentioned you being severely underspined. What's your draw length?

Also, since it seems like sometimes your flight is consistent and sometimes not, is there any chance you are having fletching contact with your rest or cables? What type of rest are you shooting? What type of vanes? Cock vane up/down?

19. BigEv

BigEv Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    ive been shooting 400's for a while and i group really well. the bow shoots consistently when i dont mess with it, it just wont come together when im tuning! my draw length is 29 inches.

20. Troy F

Troy F Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have always considered field points and broadheads to be very different aerodynamic animals. I shot muzzys for years, my bow was paper tuned with FPs. Muzzys always shot 2-3" high for me but grouped so close together I couldn't shoot at the same spot or the fletching got trimmed / end of the shaft got destroyed.
    So the muzzys were accurate. About 2 weeks before season I just zeroed with Muzzy and the animals hit the dirt. When I practiced I just made sure my FP grouped wherever they hit - who cares where FP hits during season anyway? Plus muzzys have practice head so even better.

Now if your broadhead groups open up - that is a tuning issue.

i am a curious bugger