Don't buy toxic

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by abwatts, Oct 19, 2015.

1. abwatts

abwatts Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Well I when hunting the other day with my new toxic broad heads and they really let me down I shot two bucks in a row with them the first one the arrow went through the deer and he ran off I did not hear him crash the second buck did not run when I shot so I waited until he can in to a shooting lane I shot him and the arrow did not go all the way through. I got down and started looking for blood on the first deer there was no blood at all any where I spent 5 hours that afternoon looking for the trail the second deer only had drops here and there I'm lucky to have heard the second deer crash I found the second deer and there was just a little blood pooled under it I still could not find the first deer I went back the next morning and still could not find blood or anything I would not recommend toxic broadheads. I know I made good shots because I watched the arrows hit the deer

2. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Seems to be a lot of negative feedback surrounding this head, thankfully you were able to recover one deer.

If u hit them both as good as you thought I'd assume the lost deer is dead too. I'd be out there looking for it.

3. kansasfever

kansasfever Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have had nothing but success with them, shot placement is key. My buck last year was shot with a toxic broadhead and he went 17 yards and expired and left a ton of blood behind. I also shot my bear in Canada with a toxic and it passed through and she went 25 yards and piled up. Its just like any other broadhead.

4. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    yep.
    i've seen bear/deer shot with axes..oopp's i mean Rages:hater: that hardly dropped a drop of blood.

5. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    First I am sorry for your luck. Loosing any deer suxes. I don't use toxics and never will as I am not a fan of the design but it seems pretty harsh to say don't use them. You say they are horrible while someone else says they are great. Definitely not trying to disregard what you are saying but before slamming a product as junk it would be nice to have proof. Got any pictures of the deer you found?
    Text is great but pictures speak volumes. I know its hard to show what aint there like a lack of a blood trail. I hope you find your other buck and sorry again.

6. abwatts

abwatts Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Unfortunately I did not take pics of the shot but it was good. You are right tho should not hate so much but I killed an 8 point with the thunder heads and i don't think I'm going to stray from them again they have done me right I've killed 3 deer with them and had great blood trails I don't know why I tried fixing some thing that was not broke I just liked the way toxic looked but I have done more research on toxic and I'm not the only one who has had bad blood trails

7. rknierim

rknierim Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    uploadfromtaptalk1445402777451.jpg
    Seemed to do a great job on this buck. I could put my finger through that hole and spin it. All about shot placement my friend

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

8. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Lol, a field point will kill a deer if placed decently...so will a .22cal bullet, not that I'd recommend trying either. Everyone has to try a few gimmicks, plenty of them out there. It's hard to argue with whatever is working for any one person. Personally, I've always fell right back to the reliable old fixed blades, never lost a deer to a fixed blade head. Good quality one piece heads made of good material and tight specs between heads is damn hard to find a flaw in consistency if a bow is in tune, nothing to break, not deploy, deploy early, cause erratic flight...core of the K.I.S.S. rule. There's a fine line between favoring something that "looks cool" and using something because it always gets the job done.

9. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've shot the Toxic and Cyclone broad heads but only at targets in the backyard. They didn't fly well for me. Very erratic and unpredictable. Not sure why but my Montec's and Killzone's shoot just fine to I'm sticking with them. Everyone has equipment they like and don't like. I just convey my experiences and let people decide for themselves.

10. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    heck look at the Indians using stone and flint broadheads!!

11. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was just going to post years ago at the archery club I used to shoot at there was old timer who talked about killing deer in the 60's with field points because they couldn't afford broadheads. It's all about shot placement and follow up. We've all lost a deer so I am not bashing. I am just saying we often think a shot is good in the heat of the moment, then when the trail is bad or the deer lost we start looking for things to blame instead of blaming ourselves. I can't remember if it was here or archerytalk, but I guy swore he double lunged a deer and posted still shots from the video and you could see the lighted knock hit high and far back, like in front of the back leg far back. Our mind can play tricks on us.

I'm sorry you lost that deer and don't blame you for going back to a head you have confidence in. That is key, having confidence in your equipment.

12. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    maybe you missed the "meat worms" toxic leave behind? truly, they leave less of a blood trail and more of a meat trail on pass throughs..or blood puddles like this little guy in the video I shared

https://youtu.be/PzRTb5WwfaA

13. the wanderer

the wanderer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Have a friend who shoots them. He's lost deer three out the last three years. Not sure about his shot placement, but his track record with those heads isn't very good. I've been using NAP spitfires for the last 14 years. I will continue to use them because they work. I personally think there are way too many people jumping around from broad head to broad head because of advertising and hype. Find something that works and stick to it.

14. longbowmanjimmy

longbowmanjimmy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey man, Sh!t happens. Change broadheads, because even if its not the broadhead, the thought of it will always be in the back of your head. Don't ask me why I use killzones lol, have had the most awful blood trails in my whole life with them but the last 4 deer I shot were using them. Pass through on all of em and they all dropped inside 60 yards.

15. MT_Bow_Hunter

MT_Bow_Hunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've never had a problem with Toxics. They fly well, get good penetration and leave blood trails that look like a red carpet. The key is shot placement. I've used them to kill elk, deer and antelope over the past couple years with no trouble. Check out their website, there's an awesome video of Toxics taking down a moose!

16. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have zero respect for any "hunter" who shoots a second deer before finding out the status of the first deer he or she shot. Zero!!

17. montec

montec Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree. I've been saying for a long time about Rage heads (from multiple experiences) They are as soft as they are over-hyped.

18. Obsessedarcher21

Obsessedarcher21 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Do you shoot yours with a helical on your fletching or a straight fletching mine always seemed to shoot perfect until. Today they were all over the place

19. WKPTodd

WKPTodd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    IMO, there is a reason surgeons use straight bladed scalpels; because straight blades cut easier. Simply physics. A hole in a deer doesn't kill them - massive cutting of vital blood vessels, arteries, and major organs do!

20. MAD 6

MAD 6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I thought the Toxics were Turkey killing broadheads?