Hunting packs

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by marcuswagner12, Oct 14, 2015.

1. marcuswagner12

marcuswagner12 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    For the past few years I have been using a backpack. However I'm looking for something different. I want to get a set up where I can throw my pack on along with my lone wolf and sticks an go. So in looking for something like a fanny pack with lots of storage. But something that won't get in the way of my stand on my back. Anyone good company or packs you guys know of?

2. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I think you'll get a lot of votes for the Badlands Monster fanny pack. It's been a staple for many years and is hard to beat in that category.

3. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've got the Badlands Monster. It was a great pack and if you 100% want a fanny pack it's a great option.

I just switched over to a Badlands SuperDay though. It is a full backpack, but it's designed so that it's thinner and closer to the body at the top, and the bulk of the load is down low where it would be on a fanny pack. I can still put a Lone Wolf on top of the pack. So far I'm really happy with it.

I loved the Monster, but in the Midwest there are burrs everywhere, and I found that lashing my jacket to the bottom of the Monster on the way in would result in the jacket being covered in burrs. Using the SuperDay I can just stick it inside the pack. It's also got better options to lash a set of rattling antlers to the outside of the pack.

4. sethf11

sethf11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just strap the backpack to the stand and sticks. Works great. I quick strap the sticks to the stand and hang the pack off the sticks. No problems and no noise. I can carry whatever I want that way as far as the amount of stuff I want to bring. I hate being limited. In gun season I switch to the fanny pack as I carry less that time of year.

5. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This works, but I've found that the closer to your body you can keep the weight (pack) the lighter it feels. Not a big deal if you are making short hikes, but it's definitely a big deal for me as my shortest walks are 1/2 a mile.

6. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone know of any packs that don't have a pile of zippers? I've had two Badlands packs and can't say I liked them all that much for what they cost. I think Sitka's tool box (the new style) would be excellent only if it had a better price point.

7. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Check out the bow bat xl. Made by game plan. It can carry your bow and everything else you need then strap it on your setup.

8. leadfarmer910

leadfarmer910 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Leach by Gameplan Gear

LeechQtrView_LG.jpg

9. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    100% agreed! I cannot find one thing I'm dissatisfied with in this pack. It's ruggedly built, retains its shape, and has the perfect amount of storage for what I bring to the stand including lunch and water on rut hunts.

I used to pack in a badlands 2200 but I found that I used the extra space for things I rarely used/needed and it became cumbersome bringing to the woods. That being said its a great shed hunting pack. But, for strictly bowhunting badlands monster all the way!!!!

10. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure where you got yours heckler but camofire is a great place to score badlands gear on the cheap. I believe I paid $69 for my monster and $99 for my 2200

11. sethf11

sethf11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, I understand. I'm usually only like 300-500 yards packing in. Works for me. The setup isn't light but I don't mind it. My total set up is like 30lbs. 12lb hang on and 4 sticks that are 10lbs with the pack being probably like 8lbs
    or so.

12. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEJHMoWIRFY here is the bowbat xl. This works really well for me, however I don't use it for run and gun. I could if I wanted to which is why I got it. :tu: Let me know if you have any questions!

13. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That pack looks awesome. Im looking it up now. I have a redhead backpack that is so disfunctuonal for bowhunting.

14. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  15. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    For whitetails?
    If so Sitka tool Bucket....

16. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The 2014 or the 15 model?

17. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Guess I have never tired using it as a true pack without putting my bow in it. I need to try that.

I've also looked at the Leech several times thinking I needed it to!

18. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I had the tool bucket and the tool box in the older models.

Now I just have the new tool box. Box bucket ... I get confused. Anyway I now have the new one without the treestand attachment. It's a nice pack

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  19. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Are you using the internal frame portion to carry in stands and sticks or solely s a pack? I am curious how well it works to pack stands in etc... Specifically LW lock on and sticks.

20. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Lots of options really. I love my Monster Fanny Pack for what I need it for. I put it on, then put the stand on over it. It really makes the whole load feel a lot lighter and easier to carry. Plus, once you get where you're going, you don't need to fool around with the pack; its already on your back. Just pull off the stand and get to it.