For those who use climbers...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by RCW3D, Oct 6, 2015.

1. RCW3D

RCW3D Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Although I prefer to hunt out of a lock on stand, my hunting the past 3 years has been primarily out of a climber. This poses some interesting dilemmas with regard to packing in all of your gear. I tried using a fanny pack but it didn't hold enough it tended to fall down while hiking in. I prefer to use a backpack for my gear but I can't seem to find a good way of carrying my stand and my backpack on my back. Has anyone figured out an efficient way of carrying everything in the field? I usually put my backpack on and use one strap of my climber over one shoulder and carry my bow with my other arm...there has to be a better way.

2. Jpeeples

Jpeeples Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Its on my own private property, but I leave my climber attached to the bottom of the tree. Plus, maybe try some lighter gear. I usually only bring a flashlight and a knife with me as gear. But then again, I am on my own private property and its only 23 acres.

3. wrkdvr

wrkdvr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Stand on your back and wear your pack up front, reversed. Carry bow in hand.

4. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've used a deer cart before on state land where there was a long 2 track I used to access. Strapped the stand and my bow onto it. Once off the trail a ways I would then lock it to a tree with a decent bicycle lock and then carry the rest of my stuff another 50-100 yards or so. It sure isn't easy hunting when you have to pack it all in, let alone keep from sweating. I still will carry it from time to time with my back pack straps over the top of the stand and the stand on my back.

5. Zweibarrt

Zweibarrt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I usually hook a small backpack over the back of the climber teeth, and carry the climber on my back.

6. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  7. mikeb75

mikeb75 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    When I use one which isn't a whole lot I hook my backpack to the back of the climber and haven't had any issues!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

8. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just ordered the Sitka Tool Bucket. All I'll have to do is place the stand on the frame, then strap the bag down.

Before, I would bungee strap my pack to the stand and have padded shoulder straps to carry the weight comfortably.

Not sure how your climber packs down but strapping a bag to it is fairly easy.

9. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I use a fanny pack and never have any issues. What do you carry with you usually? Maybe some stuff can be left in the truck?

10. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    What type of climber do you have? I have a summit Viper, I just use a thick gauge Cut of wire and twist tie it to the frame of the stand I also have the game plan gear tree stand transport system (like Molle straps but better) to carry the stand in on my back, total weight with the stand my gear bag including all my camera gear is almost 35pounds but doesn't even feel like half of that because the weight is shifted to your back/kidneys not your neck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. AWK08

AWK08 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    without draggin my pack out to my truck right now to put it on my stand, I'll use the pic above and my awesome ms paint skills to demonstrate :)
    I use a summit open shot deluxe (exclusively) and it has a fold up hard/padded seat, which conveniently makes a shelf for my pack to sit onto when the 2 pieces are packed for travel, the strap summit provided to hold base to hand climber goes over and thru the top carry handle of my pack to lock it on. I will also shove my insulated bibs or extra coat behind it when the weather turns frigid and put them on after I climb.

[​IMG]

13. AWK08

AWK08 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  14. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use a Lone Wolf handclimber. I have a carabiner clipped on the top of the stand. Then I hook the pack to the carabiner. On the bottom I just hook the "belly" strap on my back through the stand and clip it. Then I just carry the stand as normal. I carry my bow and have one free to move brush out of the way.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  15. Daryl Bell

Daryl Bell Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I use Gear Ties to tie the backpack to the stand and hike in. If it's a really long walk I will Gear tie my bow to the stand as well. Works awesome

16. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This is what I do also. I guess you could tie it to your stand, just never though of that I guess. Would you have to secure it on the top and bottom so it doesn't bounce around and make noise?

17. Michael.herb

Michael.herb Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use two bungee cords to strap the back pack to the climber and put them both on my back. I also use the retention strap for the climber to keep everything from moving around while I walk. It's really effective and quite.
    I recommend strapping the backpack as high up on your back as possible so it's easier to carry.

18. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If I use a climber I use the LW sit & climb combo. I usually hook my fanny pack over the teeth on the climber. Carry my bow in my hand and leave one hand free.

19. Aaron Jones

Aaron Jones Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    IMG_3662.jpg

This is how i do my back pack. I have a string that I tied at the top of my stand. I use a carbiner to clip the backpack to the loop in the string that i tied. I then use the waist strap that is on the back pack to go through my stand and to clip together in the front to keep it from bouncing too much.