Another reason for sunday hunting...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by bigwoodsbowhunter, Oct 2, 2015.

1. bigwoodsbowhunter

bigwoodsbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Not everybody thinks about the weather being a factor for need for Sunday hunting but I have for years. Most people work Monday through Friday and Saturday being their only chance to hunt without missing any work time and when Saturday comes and its raining, Sunday just gives you another opportunity. Take last year for example: There were four Saturdays here in my home state of PA that were washouts only to have it clear out on Sunday and be perfect weather for bowhunting. Just something to consider and possibly have everyone pass on to get this done!!

2. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    We discovered the best time for fall golfing in WI is Sunday afternoons. The courses are empty as everybody as watching the Packer game.

wonder if the same holds true for hunting.

3. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    We can bowhunt ONLY here in NC on Sundays. But it has to be on Private Land only. Works out great for me. I hope they pass something similar where you are.

4. Swise660

Swise660 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I really can't imagine only being able to hunt one day of the weekend! By the time I get off work, I just can't make it to my deer stand for an evening hunt during the week....it's already too late and I would just push deer more than anything. Saturdays and Sundays are may only 2 days of the week I can hunt!

5. NateJR_PABOWHUNTING

NateJR_PABOWHUNTING Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm from PA as well and it always chapped my *** I couldn't hunt on Sundays when I was working my mon. through Friday job.. I recently switched jobs where I now working a 12 hour continuous OPs schedule where I get 3 days off a week I can hunt which is awesome. I'm pretty sure in the next couple years they're going allow us to start hunting on Sundays as well, th3ve been pushing ard to make it happen which is more than welcome. Agreed not being able to hunt on sundays puts the average working man at a big disadvantage.

6. GhostRack

GhostRack Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We been trying to get Sunday hunting here for yrs..they finally started off with two sundays during general season for this yr..

7. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Reason for hunting on Sunday? Its a day off from work and church only takes 2 hours. That still leaves 10 good hours of daylight to be in the woods....

8. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    One of the dumbest laws in existence. I wouldn't even consider living in a state which uses religious BS to restrict access to hunting.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
  9. bigwoodsbowhunter

bigwoodsbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just got back from being totally drench today and now as expected the forecast for tomorrow is a 0% chance of rain. Thanks... to the PA game commission!!

10. NateJR_PABOWHUNTING

NateJR_PABOWHUNTING Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I know the feeling.. I actually had to work today, but I get to hunt mon. tues and Saturday.. next week I get to hunt wed. - Fri... going to have more time in stand than I've ever had.. still doesn't change the fact the no hunting on Sundays in Pa is for the birds.. I can't make any sense out of it.. but its actually not a law based on church, its a law becuase of farmers, theyre originally the ones that protested against Sunday hunting if I remember my history correctly.

11. C0wb0yChris

C0wb0yChris Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thought they passed the law for rifles after 12pm on Sunday, this year?

12. jdhaines32

jdhaines32 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm from Pa and would love to hunt on Sunday as well, especially after a day like today. I do believe the ban against Sunday hunting was put in place by legislation and therefore the Game Commission can't change it until the legislatures change the law allowing hunting on Sunday. Then the Game Commission could decide when and what species.

13. usmc-boston

usmc-boston Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    no sunday hunting in MA either, season opens oct. 19 so that really only leaves me about two weeks where I can hunt after work before it gets dark too early. would be nice to go to church, hit the stand, and be back home in time for the Patriots.

14. c e w

c e w Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We could always hunt on sunday but we had blue laws where you could not buy certain things like milk and baby food but not diapers any law that bans certain things on sunday is B.S.

15. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So on years where every Saturday is nice weather, no Sunday hunting?

This has less to do with weather than it has to do with your personal schedule. Many of us work M-F. We only get 2 Sunday hunt days where I am, and one of those is shotgun.

16. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I live in a state with even a dumber law, you can't buy beer on Sundays liquor stores are closed. I don't know how the gun hunters do it.:beer:

17. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Hmmm....stuck in church on Sundays wishing I was hunting vs. 15' up a tree in the woods thanking God for the chance to enjoy his bounty...
    guarantee I am closer to God being in the woods on a fall Sunday than I would be in a church.

18. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    House bill 1734 is for Sunday hunting. I don't know when it'll ever get pushed all the way through. I've signed local petitions from our local legislator. I would be fine with only allowing archery on Sundays. Not because it's my favorite, but because it would be quieter for those arguing gun shots are too noisy.

19. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm always having this discussion in one of the pa deer hunting facebook groups. The anti sunday hunting crowd has never provided a good argument.

I've heard for a day of rest, day of football, so landowners don't have to worry about poaching for one day, a day of safety, a day to take their kids in the woods, etc, etc.

It comes down to people not wanting others in the woods while they are in church or when they want to be lazy. It's silly and supposedly there's another proposal coming up in the near future. But I'm sure the Farm Bureau will continue to fight tooth and nail against it.

20. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Beat me to it.

But I'm not good with compromises when it comes to this. I consider myself a hunter and would hate to see rifle hunters only getting one or two Saturdays of the two week season to hunt. This is a ridiculous law that needs to be changed.