There are some real scum bags that call themselves hunters

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Skywalker, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've been hunting some public land this year. Yesterday afternoon, I headed out to the spot that's closest to my house. It's only about a 4 mile drive, so it's perfect to hunt the afternoons after work. I hung a Muddy Outfitter stand and left the top two sticks, but take that bottom two sticks out with me each hunt. Well, apparently someone didn't like where I put my stand. I show up to my stand to see a bunch of cut branches and sticks up in the stand. Then I realize they stole my lifeline, my bow hanger and my pull rope carabiner. Luckily they didn't steal my sticks or my stand(I have a cable lock on it.) So much for the brotherhood of bowhunters. I'd like to catch up with these jack wagon's and teach them a little respect.

Seriously though, there are some real scum bags among us.

2. NateJR_PABOWHUNTING

NateJR_PABOWHUNTING Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yup, there are definitely some scum bag hunters out there! I hope you find out who they are, but the thing with it is anyone who's willing to stoup that low and steal someones property probably won't have any problem lying about it.

3. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Guys these people are not hunters, merely killers and need choked out of our brotherhood. Long shot but you ever learn who did it record a convo with them and press charges. Likely not gonna happen, but be careful brother, check stand straps before climbing in ALWAYS!

4. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    People are dumb.

5. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    I checked them thoroughly. and still hunted out of it last night, but above all I'm just really pissed they stole my lifeline. Not because I can't afford to replace it, but because that's putting someones life or lively hood at risk.

6. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Completely agree man, that is like stating, "I hope you fall and injure yourself..." Thieves would have stolen everything, their just scum licking bottom feeding people to do this.

7. DD/MO

DD/MO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is exactly right! I'm doing a little spot about thieves in an episode of my show. One of my guys got all his gear stolen one night right off his lease. He hunted it one evening and was going right back to the same stand the next morning. Got down at dark and left his bow and hunting pack in the tree so he didn't have to pack it back in. The only thing he carried out was his camera equipment to recharge it. Came in the next morning and everything was gone...stand, sticks, bow, accessories, pull rope....the tree was bare. Someone had scouted him out just to rob him at night. How low is that?

8. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    I have a vague idea of who it was, but I don't know them. A couple weeks ago, I went in to hang the stand at about 10:00 am on a Saturday. I was about halfway done when I heard a couple guys walking down the fence row. They were dragging a yearling doe. They stopped and told me they had a stand less than 40 yards from there. I had scouted the area a week previous and hadn't seen any stands or signs of hunters in the area. I didn't plan on hunting the area very often, and mostly on week nights so I figured there probably wouldn't be any issues so I went ahead and finished hanging that stand. After I finished, I looked for their stand and found it about 80 yards away. These guys were dragging a doe out from a piece of public ground that doesn't allow you to use your antlerless tags. You can only use your any deer tag, of which we only get one to use before rifle season. I would bet my years wages these guys didn't check that deer in with their any deer tag, but I refrained from reporting them because I figured they would know who called them in and retaliate.

They must have been pissed I hung my stand anyway, so they trashed mine and took theirs down. I think I know a last name because I could see it on their stand when I looked for it that day, but there's really no way I could prove any of it.

9. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    Check for the local coon hunters on that one!!!!! They are the only people I could imagine running around on other peoples land at night.

10. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That is the trouble with public land....the public.

11. Stay_Sharp

Stay_Sharp Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Public land, low class people and your gear. Its a bad mix and you end up losing. Sorry to hear about this.

12. wildernessninja

wildernessninja Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Cant stand people who steal. I know what its like to have thing taken from you. Lucky for me never any hunting gear. I got all boiled up reading your story. Sorry it happened to you.

13. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    there are always people who are against hunting and will do what they can to prevent it. If they find a stand they will do what they can to trash it to try and keep you from being able to hunt.

14. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    I can guarantee this wasn't done by an ant-hunter. Whoever did it would have needed a way to get up to the stand. It takes two sticks to get to the sticks I left in the tree. I can't imagine an anti hunter would be running around with a set of sticks. No, this was a hunter. No doubt about it.

15. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    This...people suck. Sorry to hear of your stuff stolen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. bossbucks25

bossbucks25 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have had a number of stands stolen from our private property. Some people have no respect

17. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree 100%, this was another "hunter". ptt That stand site was scouted out by somebody familiar with the area and your comings and goings.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  18. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I don't get people sometimes. I would say that's why private ground is nice, but I still deal with trespassers, too. People are idiots regardless unfortunately.

19. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Very well could be a hunter but don't put it past PETA freaks. With most types of sticks and spacing the bottom of the 3rd stick would only be about 9ft. I can reach over 8 ft standing, jumping or climbing a foot in order to grab the bottom stick wouldn't be to difficult.

If you are going to leave them in the future, I'd pull at least the bottom 3 sticks, that would require getting up about 13' which would be more difficult.

20. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What's unfortunate is unless it happens to them or they receive pain from the person they did this to, they will just do it again and again. Being a moron is perpetual and sometimes pain is the only way to remove the stupid. Exactly as Sota said, the problem with public land is the public, it's unfortunate that people like this ruin it for others.